The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
Been lurking the forums and figured it was time I joined so I could get my couple questions answered.

I am always thinking about the future and planning out what I am doing. Come the end of 2009 I am looking to hopefully end up either in new england or in CA. If I end up in new england then the lotus would be out of the question due to the snow and I will probably go the route of something like a used 06/07 lexus iS.

If I end up in CA then I will go with the dream and get a used lotus elise/exige for a daily driver. My couple questions are these:

-Do you see a lotus elise/exige for a daily driver?
-I looked online and could find nothing on crash test ratings. Any info on the safety of these cars?
-If I were to get one, I would only do small cosmetic modifications to it as it would be the daily driver, what are some easy to install simple mods? I saw there were some nice CF cosmetic pieces available for the car, etc online.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
-Do you see a lotus elise/exige for a daily driver?many do
-I looked online and could find nothing on crash test ratings. Any info on the safety of these cars?they seem to fare well, though its a super light weight fibergalss car....
-If I were to get one, I would only do small cosmetic modifications to it as it would be the daily driver, what are some easy to install simple mods? I saw there were some nice CF cosmetic pieces available for the car, etc online. car is pretty easy to work on, should have no problems....
welcome.:wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome.:wave:
Thanks! I currently have two cars, one being a celica gt-s so I have a fair share of knowledge with the 2zz vvtl-i. As for the crash test stuff though, why is there no crash test results available for it? I have seen pictures of some that have crashed where the owners were fine, but it some what worries me to see that there are no official crash test ratings that I could find online.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I end up in new england then the lotus would be out of the question due to the snow

-Do you see a lotus elise/exige for a daily driver?
Snow? :shrug:

I live in England, but I'm Canadian, and I drove my SAAB 9000 Turbo through some of the worst snow you will ever see. That was in Alberta. I never had any problems. We used to use chains, or studs, a long time ago, but nowadays a good set of snow tires will see you fine. You will need two sets of tires.

Tonight, I drove 200 miles in my new Elise, and I got out feeling just fine. Not a trace of an ache anywhere. The racing seats with the lumbar support pump thingie worked like a charm. This motor will indeed be my daily drive.

Best Regards,
Donnna

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
-I looked online and could find nothing on crash test ratings. Any info on the safety of these cars?
If you check this link Lotus Elise Safety
then you will find a page beginning:

"The Elise is a very safe car to drive as some of the following incidents show. The aluminium chassis is very strong and has excellent side protection. The clamshells and the front and rear sub-frames are excellent at energy absorbtion. The integral roll bar is also very strong."

It has pictures of smashed Elises. One point that is made is that there is no ABS. Of course, that would not be relevant to a competent driver.

I found the link by keying "lotus elise crash test" into Google.

Best Regards,
Donna

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
We need a new Tab !!!

Home DAILY DRIVER Forums Active Topics Gallery User CP New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I had searched on google before coming and posting here. And I had found that site, but that site does absolutely nothing for me. It is just some guy who posted his thoughts on the subject with pictures of people who crashed their own lotus vehicles. What I want is actual tested proof from an official type of crash test rating service such as NHTSA.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Yes I had searched on google before coming and posting here. And I had found that site, but that site does absolutely nothing for me. It is just some guy who posted his thoughts on the subject with pictures of people who crashed their own lotus vehicles. What I want is actual tested proof from an official type of crash test rating service such as NHTSA.
You will find that information in the same place that you will find the crash test results from Ferrari and Lamborghini.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
As for the crash test stuff though, why is there no crash test results available for it?
The Elise is relatively safe. I meets and exceeds all US safety requirements - it is supposedly the only car that they've tested that was able to be driven away from the barrier crash.

The Early US Elises did not have US spec headlights - they had Euro Spec lights which many people actually prefer but they didn't meet the US specs for being "sealed". That was changed for later cars ('07s I believe).

The Elise does not have "safety bumpers" - that's in quotes because the 2.5 MPH bumper requirement has nothing to do with safety, it is purely about saving insurance companies money in low speed bumps. Starting in '07, the cars got a reinforced bumper, but it's still not a typical rubber mounted plastic bumper. Bump a "bumper" of an Elise, it will cost many thousands of dollarss.

But back to your concern. The Elise is a very safe car in terms of protecting the driver. A minor collision may total the car, but it sill keep the cockpit intact and protect the driver and passenger better than most cars out there. Of course, keep in mind that if someone in a 8,000 pound SUV nails your 2,000 pound fiberglass toy car, it may not be pretty. I, for one, however, don't bother to think about safety factors when driving my Elise.

On this side of the pond ABS abounds.
that side of the pond too - on new cars. One of the reason that we have ABS on our cars is that it was becoming required on cars for sale in Europe. Early Elises did not have it of course.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts