The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting an elise for a daily drive when I move to Maryland. Should be only commuting about 20 to 30 mins. Is it practical for that type of driving? This will be the first mid engine car. :shift:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe it is practical for your application, but if it is a lot of stop-and-go traffic, the constant use of the clutch would get old quickly. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am looking into getting an elise for a daily drive when I move to Maryland. Should be only commuting about 20 to 30 mins. Is it practical for that type of driving? This will be the first mid engine car. :shift:
Obviously, check out the megathread linked before, but the quick tips I'd give is that you will keep larger following distance and gaps at stoplights etc as damage is simply not an option for the Elise.

Also, one thing that surprised me is that the car is EASY to drive, along with an easy clutch (assuming you are stock!).

And Welcome!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
If your commute does not include downtown Baltimore, or the DC or Baltimore Beltways in rush hour, or I95 north of the Baltimore Beltway in rush hour, or with traffic on I83 in rush hour, then sure.

Better still if you live on the eastern shore.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I believe it is practical for your application, but if it is a lot of stop-and-go traffic, the constant use of the clutch would get old quickly. Welcome to the forum.
Got into about 5 miles of "creep along" traffic on the way back from the track the other day.... AARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! Honestly, I very, very rarely drive in that kind of mess and forgot what a pain it can be with a clutch. Also, these cars (mine at least) do not like to creep along. With the idle setting I have while running the A/C it moves along briskly when it starts going. Very annoying and really not a good application for what is basically a raw fun/track car.

Good luck with your search if you decide to pick one up. They are a huge amount of fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts