The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note to say hi to all. New owner here. 2005 Elise with 7K on the clock. Gonna fix that...LOL
Currently have a check engine light on I think is due to an old battery that I've now replaced and hoping the light goes out. I can not register it with the light on. And my OBD2 reader I have now will not reset the light. Soooo..I've ordered 2 more hoping one of them might work...fingers crossed...PLEASE...I wanna drive this thing!

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,517 Posts
Welcome to LT! You will get plenty of help here.
I've used 2 different Bluetooth OBD2 readers from Amazon and I use them with the Torque app. Both were able to read/reset codes. Was your reader able to provide any codes? If so, post them here. Good luck!

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Welcome to LT! After you're able to read codes then G search the code with your car model and end the search with lotustalk and it will bring you to threads on that code here. My bet is it doesn't see your VIN anymore and you can follow the thread on DIY fix or dealer has service tool that can reenter your VIN.

Reactions: pnwcudaman

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to LT! You will get plenty of help here.
I've used 2 different Bluetooth OBD2 readers from Amazon and I use them with the Torque app. Both were able to read/reset codes. Was your reader able to provide any codes? If so, post them here. Good luck!
The reader I have was not able to pull the code, or clear the light. Last night I ordered 2 bluetooth readers, hopefully one of them will.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Congrats on the new Lotus and good that you want to put some miles on it. Any pictures? When I bought mine and within a day got a CEL, but the seller warned me it might happen and said he would cover the repair. It took 2 weeks for Lotus to ship the parts and then one had a crack. The dealer's mechanic was able to clean up one of the originals to get it working, but because it took over a month to fix before I could get the emissions test done, I got hit with a 25% fine by my lovely DMV for registering it late.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the new Lotus and good that you want to put some miles on it. Any pictures? When I bought mine and within a day got a CEL, but the seller warned me it might happen and said he would cover the repair. It took 2 weeks for Lotus to ship the parts and then one had a crack. The dealer's mechanic was able to clean up one of the originals to get it working, but because it took over a month to fix before I could get the emissions test done, I got hit with a 25% fine by my lovely DMV for registering it late.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, as you said, it does not see the vin with the new OBD2 unit I bought. I have the OBDLink MX+
now I just need to find that thread mentioned for the DIY to resolve this. Nearest dealer is 3 hrs away.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,517 Posts
I have the same reader and use Torque Pro on my phone and tablet. Works on Android only but there was an app that came with the OBDLink which I never used. You should be able to read codes and clear the memory the the MX+. The ECU does not need the VIN to allow reading and clearing codes.
Not seeing the VIN just means your ECU has not been flashed to report the VIN. That is a recall to get the VIN flashed onto the ECU. You do not want the dealer to flash the ECU if you have an aftermarket tune such as one for an aftermarket supercharger.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,517 Posts
Review the Torque app on the Google Play Store and see if you would use it before you get it. Available as a free version and a $4.99 paid version. I have the full up version because I have a tablet mounted and I use it as a digital dashboard.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Review the Torque app on the Google Play Store and see if you would use it before you get it. Available as a free version and a $4.99 paid version. I have the full up version because I have a tablet mounted and I use it as a digital dashboard.
Lol, I saw your post after I bought the app. But that's ok as it's a 3 hr drive up to Bellevue Washington to have them do the thingiemajunkamonkey to it.
I'm an old school classic car guy so all this computer car stuff just goes right over my head. Hope this works.
I still have 1 more OBD2 unit coming from amazon I can try. It should be here tomorrow.
But anything I can do to keep from driving all the way up there, I'll try, short of getting too into computer/ pid stuff.
I guarantee I'll brick the car if I do that.
I have the same reader and use Torque Pro on my phone and tablet. Works on Android only but there was an app that came with the OBDLink which I never used. You should be able to read codes and clear the memory the the MX+. The ECU does not need the VIN to allow reading and clearing codes.
Not seeing the VIN just means your ECU has not been flashed to report the VIN. That is a recall to get the VIN flashed onto the ECU. You do not want the dealer to flash the ECU if you have an aftermarket tune such as one for an aftermarket supercharger.
Well, that didn't work either. Same code with the Vin issue.
Grey Font Asphalt Automotive tire Rectangle

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,517 Posts
Yes, now that you have told the code.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Number

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, now that you have told the code.

View attachment 1315357
I'm now scouting around to find a place that can fix this.
I read the thread about the vintage fix, but to be honest, none of it made any sense to me at all.
So, my options are so far.

1. Find a local shop to Portland Oregon that can fix this.

2. Locate a lotus owner that knows how to do it and hire them. Money or beer...lol

3. Get a temp ticket to drive it 3 hrs up to Bellevue and have them fix it. But I'm not even sure if it's safe to drive like this. I'm guessing its ok,,but.. I'm really not 100% sure.

Ive only driven this car 100 feet.

·
Registered
2006 Exige SC K24A
381 Posts
What other car do you own in YOUR name with the registration furthest out? Title the lotus, swap the plate, get new plate for doner car, now you have registration until plate expires. You're welcome. :). I was 4 months getting to this point.

·
Registered
2006 Exige SC K24A
381 Posts

Excerpt below:

Vehicles in areas around Portland and Medford that are subject to DEQ requirements must provide proof of compliance with DEQ emissions testing prior to registration or registration renewal.

This means that a DEQ emissions test certificate is required if the plate being transferred is due for registration renewal, or if new registration is required because the plate transfer occurred between vehicles not owned by the same person or business.

So if you don't register it, and plate is valid, that's how long you get. I have 3 cars that expire within a few months of each other. Could buy you a lot of time.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the good news is I found a shop in Portland with a lotus tech who has the gizmo to fix the vin.
When I talked to him, funny thing is, he asked me if it had a bad battery/ ran flat as that often triggers this most often in the 05 year. This was before I told him my year or anything about my bad battery upon delivery. And my battery was completely dead.
I asked him if this was a common issue and he said they are pretty familiar with the same story but didn't want to say its gonna haunt all my days.
He did suggest I keep it on a battery tender though, which I already do with a new battery.
So I have an appointment on the 9th as that's the first day I can get off work.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Well, the good news is I found a shop in Portland with a lotus tech who has the gizmo to fix the vin.
When I talked to him, funny thing is, he asked me if it had a bad battery/ ran flat as that often triggers this most often in the 05 year. This was before I told him my year or anything about my bad battery upon delivery. And my battery was completely dead.
I asked him if this was a common issue and he said they are pretty familiar with the same story but didn't want to say its gonna haunt all my days.
He did suggest I keep it on a battery tender though, which I already do with a new battery.
So I have an appointment on the 9th as that's the first day I can get off work.
Hi cudaman,
I'm also in the Portland area and need some ECU help from a pro. Would you mind sharing the name of the shop that you found to help? Did they resolve your issue for you?
TIA

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi cudaman,
I'm also in the Portland area and need some ECU help from a pro. Would you mind sharing the name of the shop that you found to help? Did they resolve your issue for you?
TIA
My Elise is currently at Freeman Motors service. They are doing the ECU flash due to a dead battery, and while there, I'm having a new Radiator installed, stainless brake lines put in, HVAC resistor mod, getting rid of the stock type tires as I'm not gonna track it, and having the oil coolers and lines inspected and upgraded as needed.
While I'm not yet able to give a rating on Freeman Motors, they have a long standing business there and a factory certified Lotus mechanic. Who also has owned an Elise and is well versed in what all we talk about here. So far they have been a pleasure to work with and will post up if anything turns south with them, but I'm not expecting anything.

Freeman Motors
503-310-5555
Ask for Myia. She is top shelf and knows her stuff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts