The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Lotus (05 Elise, VF2 supercharged), and it was a complete trip to drive. I've been wanting one of these for the past 7 years, and finally pulled the trigger.

The vehicle was delivered dead, and had to jump. Within 4 days, it broke down (suspect something on the serpentine [broke] - alternator? Rattling bearings that suddenly came to a stop, with an MIA serpentine)...

Been reading the forums for a while, so I decided to join!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Attachments

·
Addict
1,300 Posts
Welcome. If you’re not working on the car yourself Ferrari of Denver might be a good place to go. There are also a lot of knowledgeable members of the Lotus club here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A more specific sequence of events ont he breakdown would help
The mechanic tracked it down.

He believes someone loosened the supercharger pulley, causing the knocking noise, destroying the pulley, and the key the pulley attaches to (he had to damage the pulley to get it off the key). This should max be $1k worth of work, with a range of $500 to $1k, but he has to track down the pulley (Vision Force Stage 2).

At least I found a seemingly, good, and honest mechanic out here... He showed me the issue.

I have the historical documents on this car, showing that Lotus originally installed it, and it was installed 8k miles prior to now, back in 2010 timeframe? So likely something that occurred more recently.

Odd, but that's what you get, when you buy a car sight unseen...(?)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A more specific sequence of events ont he breakdown would help
This turned out to be a supercharger pulley. Because this is a VF2, my mechanic is having a hard time finding a replacement, but we do know that the supercharger is MP62 based, so perhaps any pulley for an MP62 would work?

Edit: I was able to track down the original developer of the SC, and he was able to get me the part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts