The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dean
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I better hang out here and get some good advice on my needy S4s. Bought it two years ago. Now after clearing out some overdue projects I am turning my attention to getting the Lotus sorted. Never had a Lotus before but have had British cars since I was 15. (40 years ago now). The Lotus is sharing garage space with four other vehicles. My 1959 Austin Healey 100-6, the first car I ever bought - a 1967 Austin Healey Sprite as well as a basket case 1960 Bugeye about to get chopped up in pieces. Oh and somewhere in all of that is a 2001 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle!

Attachments

·
Dean
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mostly tired. Not sure of age of timing belt so that's gotta go. Right front motor mount was NOT bolted to the engine. Replaced both front motor mounts with new. Front rims are bent a bit, need a recommendation for a good local shop in Atlanta to get them straightened. Very hard to get into reverse and nicks a bit in the forward gears. Checking the shift linkages for slop. Maybe needs a clutch. Not sure what shape the tranny is now as I am sure the PO was driving it and grinding the gears. It needs a good paint job as well as a new interior. Park brake cables were mucked with at some point so I got a good salvage set online and need to install it. I plan on doing the timing belt, replacing hoses and doing a good thorough service on it. Some fresh tires and off I go…

Thats all!

·
Dean
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here you can see something going on with the left rear suspension. There is something like wheel bearing grease but semi-dried and forming into small crumbs that accumulates after a while when the car is sitting for a bit. I don't think it's anything to do with brake fluid. Any ideas? also you can see the bodge the PO did on the park brake cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome, fellow Cantonian! The local Lotus group is very active and might be helpful. We have a mountain drive coming up Saturday going to Tennessee and North Carolina. That stuff crumbling by the back upright looks strange for sure. If nothing else you should join the Lotus Facebook page to get some good local recommendations. I'm in Great Sky off 140 west of Canton. The car looks nice!

:)
BT

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Post #9

If there is a CV boot on the axle drive shaft it could be spewing grease. Would check into that.

Robert

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome! The S4s looks very nice. I like the V8 Futura wheels.

I used to own a S4s myself and now own a V8 FE. I am also planning to do some maintenance as well in the coming weeks.

I live in Woodstock so not far from you. Let me know if you need a hand.

·
Dean
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Welcome, fellow Cantonian! The local Lotus group is very active and might be helpful. We have a mountain drive coming up Saturday going to Tennessee and North Carolina. That stuff crumbling by the back upright looks strange for sure. If nothing else you should join the Lotus Facebook page to get some good local recommendations. I'm in Great Sky off 140 west of Canton. The car looks nice!

:)
BT
Hi Bill, thanks for the invite. I have been in the club for the past two years but have only had the car out twice in the past two years. It's not going anywhere until the timing belt is done. I have also met up with several of the local Lotus guys. They meet up for dinner about once a month or so. Nice to meet up with local folk. Been to British Car Day twice with it and have been to a few Caffeine and Octane meets but not with the Lotus.

·
Dean
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome! The S4s looks very nice. I like the V8 Futura wheels.

I used to own a S4s myself and now own a V8 FE. I am also planning to do some maintenance as well in the coming weeks.

I live in Woodstock so not far from you. Let me know if you need a hand.
Hey Manny, cool to hear from you. I would like to see your car and also hear about your stories about your S4s. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can trade stories...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts