The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just moved to the Portland area this past year. I have been motorcycling for the past 7-8 years and have always had the latest/greatest sportbikes out. Just something about the power to weight ratio with these things is addictive. I really don't get crazy, but do like to open them up on occassion. Anyway, I am 34 years old and as much as I hate to say this considering hanging up the sport bike belt. It is just so uncomforatable for much more than 1 hour and I hate having to avoid town and stoplights so the bikes won't overheat. I really can't get to the track much either.

Back on topic. I have long LOVED the looks of the lotus elise and exige, but have never really been a car guy. Well today I went to look at some in person and was able to test drive a 2011 elise and a 2009 Exige 240. I was rather impressed by the acceleration from a small engine. I had a lot more fun than I was anticipating. I got to thinking, I wonder if this would give me the thrill motorcycling has but in a bit more practical way. I was actually suprised by the room inside and the lack of creature comforts was fine by me.

I love how the exige looks and the extra 20hp of course is cool. the one thing I worry about is visibility changing lanes. this would be a weekend toy only. Probably not tracked much or anything. But I did worry about changing lanes with no rear view. the elise is better in this regard, but I like the exige styling better.

The elise was a "final edition"

the exige was a 1800mile used demo model.

Any input or advice is welcomed. I know it's cheaper than a lambo or something, but it is still a lot of money on my veterinary salary.

nice to meet you guys!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think as a car they would be the closest thing to a bike.

The Elise has good rrear vision and the wind in your hair like a bike. The Exige poor rear vision smaller boot entry, bit more track focused.

Both can zip in and out of traffic and feel light an nimble. So up to you, what floats your boat.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I can't ride a bike anymore due to a major wreck, but the Elise is about the closest thing you can come to riding a bike. They can be quick depending upon supercharger or other upgrades, but the high speed handling is absolutely amazing!! And from what I have seen from wrecks, even after a major wreck all I have seen driver has walked away.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It won't replace the bikes nor give you the bike feeling. You test drove them so may be able to gauge if it's suffice. Don't want you to regret later on. But the elise/exige is one of the few cars (ariel atom, caterham being others) out there that will get closest to that feeling. Elise/exige are indeed fun cars:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I came from off road motor sports (dirt bikes, adventure trail riding and some rock crawling) and Street bikes...

Before the Elise the closest thing to a sports car I have owned was an older TA... That being said, I have owned many different street bikes (KZ's, Radian, CBR600, ZX6R, V-Max, and more, currently riding a Yamaha FZ-6).

When I purchased my Elise last year, my Yamaha spent many months in the garage lonely. Solely due to how much fun I was having driving the Elise. To this day, I still naturally grab the Elise keys for an afternoon drive then think, 'should I take the bike?'...

Being a rider for over 25 years, this surprises me to this day. I still love my bike, but the Elise is right up there when it comes to smiles/thrills per mile....

Zig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts