The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Chris, and I have an addiction...

Wow, feel better now that that is out of the way. Been lurking around on the boards for the past 4-5 years and figured it was time to introduce myself. I've been wanting an Elise since they first came out in 05. Came really close to buying one a few years ago as a third car but ended up with a Porsche 996 Cab because we thought we needed a little extra room with the "back seats" (good for taking the dog to the beach. Anyways, we got into surfing about a year ago and now take the SUV to the beach so we can transport surfboards, beer, etc...

So my very understanding wife of five years has given me the green light to start looking into the Elise again! Absolutely the most fun car we've driven on our Carolina roads. So the search is on, if anyone knows of an orange or yellow Elise (thinking around $25-29k) for sale feel free to drop me a line.

Also gotta say thanks to Max at Lotus of Greenville. He picked my wife and me up in a new Evora last weekend so that we could come back to his shop to look over a new Elise, and get the wife's seal of approval to move forward. Great guy, spent a bunch of time with us after hours talking cars. Had he not picked us up (we were stuck at a Mini autocross event without transport) we wouldn't have been able to check out the Lotus as we were only in town for the day. Plus had the opportunity to spend some time in the Evora!

-Chris

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Do not limit yourself to local searches. I know of several of us including myself that looked national and got the cars of our dreams at great prices. When you decide to buy spend a couple hundred bucks for an inspection. It is worth it. Post some pics when you pull the trigger so we can drool with you.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Good luck with the search and don't be afraid to ask one of us to check it out for you if it's not in your area. If you want the perfect Elise you gotta search nation wide :up:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have any experience with the two cars below:

1) 2005 Saffron Yellow Elise, 34,000 miles out of Duluth, GA. Priced at $27,500. Found on Autotrader:
Cars for Sale: 2005 Lotus Elise in Duluth, GA 30096: Convertible Details - 317152432 - AutoTrader.com

2) 2007 Orange Elise, 15,000 miles out of Ann Arbor, MI. Priced at $33,900. Also found on Autotrader, have been keeping an eye on this one for a while, was originally listed for sale at $40,000. Anything to watch for on a Northern car?
Cars for Sale: 2007 Lotus Elise in Ann Arbor, MI 48103: Convertible Details - 317668465 - AutoTrader.com

Ultimately the higher miles on the first 2005 car doesn't bother me. 35,000 miles on a 7-8 year old car isn't out of line. I guess my question would be is it worth an extra $5k to buy the 07 with nicer seats, drive by wire, and maybe some other small improvements? Doesn't help that orange is my preferred color... Not opposed to buying a car long distance either, when we bought the 996 we flew up to Wisconsin to pick up and drive back. Made for a fun road trip! I'm open to any suggestions, opinions or helpful tips.

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the two cars below:

1) 2005 Saffron Yellow Elise, 34,000 miles out of Duluth, GA. Priced at $27,500. Found on Autotrader:
Cars for Sale: 2005 Lotus Elise in Duluth, GA 30096: Convertible Details - 317152432 - AutoTrader.com

2) 2007 Orange Elise, 15,000 miles out of Ann Arbor, MI. Priced at $33,900. Also found on Autotrader, have been keeping an eye on this one for a while, was originally listed for sale at $40,000. Anything to watch for on a Northern car?
Cars for Sale: 2007 Lotus Elise in Ann Arbor, MI 48103: Convertible Details - 317668465 - AutoTrader.com

Ultimately the higher miles on the first 2005 car doesn't bother me. 35,000 miles on a 7-8 year old car isn't out of line. I guess my question would be is it worth an extra $5k to buy the 07 with nicer seats, drive by wire, and maybe some other small improvements? Doesn't help that orange is my preferred color... Not opposed to buying a car long distance either, when we bought the 996 we flew up to Wisconsin to pick up and drive back. Made for a fun road trip! I'm open to any suggestions, opinions or helpful tips.

Thanks!
I'm less than an hour away from Ann Arbor if you would like someone to look at it in person.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I drive by the Lotus in Ann Arbor every day. Would be glad to stop by and get some photos.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the offers. I need to sit down with the boss to see if i can squeak out a few more thousand for the orange one. I'll let you know if I need someone to stop by to check it out.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I would go for the orange one

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wfink:

Sent you an email. If you could swing by when it's convenient for you and check of the orange Elise I would really appreciate it.

Another question: Is there any concern with corrosion on an Elise that's been driven in the north (exposure to salt on roads). With the low miles I'm inclined to think the car was only driven on nicer days.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts