The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do! I just picked up a 2006 Elise with very low mileage (5K). It's fun learning new techniques for getting in and out of it. I only wish I could convince my teenage daughter I did NOT buy it for her! :coolnana:

I also drive a 1971 BMW 3.0cs. It is a work in progress buy the heavy lifting part of the restoration process is now done.

My Elise is in pretty good shape. The only issues I have is that the instrument cluster lighting doesn't come on, a few rusty screws, and loose hood cover panel mount bolt (need to pull the inner fender liner to get to it). I am trying to diagnose the instrument lights and I am struggling to remove the cluster shroud. Anyone have advice on this?

Pics of my '71 BMW E9 and and '06 Elise below:

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Congrats! Love the GG and rims.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Hello and welcome!

·
Registered
992 Posts
hey was wondering who got that car... i used to visit her at Flemings when she was there - drive by there all the time (the orange elise was there at same time) ... glad u got it. We'll see u at a MD get-together hopefully :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome and have fun with your new TOY

:wallbang: By chance have you pushed and held the "Instrument Illumination Button" that is located just in front of the Ignition Key Hole?? Hold it in and see if it cycles through the ranges of Brightness of the dash lights.
It also has a dual function of a "trip recorder" for miles driven. In order to zero it , switch on the ignition, and press it in for less than a second and it will zero itself for you. (If you hold it too long it changes to the "Instrument Illumination Button.)

Also check the fuses on the Front services compartment on the Passenger side. You have to remove the Passenger side front body panel to get to it. - then unclip the lid to see the fuses.

·
Registered
311 Posts
To remove the front access panel, remove the screw then there are two pins on the panel that slide into the center piece. There is also a groved lip near the windshield on the panel. So pull it up a little and down and away from the center and it wil come right out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome and the tips. I will try to attend some of the DC area get-togethers.

I managed to get my instrument lights working this evening. I am not sure exactly what I did. The trip reset was working so I new the switch was good but it never cycled through the intensity settings no matter how long I held it. I checked all the fuses I read about doing a battery disconnect reboot but that didn't work. I then dismantled the shroud around the cluster and finally pulled the starter / headlight panel. When it popped out the lights turned on but still no instrument lights. I then reached in and jiggled the console wires and after that it started working.

Please tell me that Lotus wiring is not done by Lucas! I can deal with Lucas refrigerators and warm beer when in the UK but I don't care for non-functional car electrical systems.

Yes - this was one of the two Lotuses (Lotii?) at Flemmings Ultimate Garage. I wasn't really planning to buy one but my daughter convinced me that she made the car look really good and then my wife managed to negotiate a discount (which they don't do). :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please, Please bring that absolutely lovely BMW :drool::drool::drool:to Pittsburgh for the Vintage Grand Prix on July 18-19. BMW is this year's Marquee so it should be worth your trip, my Lotus will be there but my E31 is just too beat-up to enter into anything but a demo derby. Oh, your Lotus is great too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been thinking about the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. Actually I've been trying to figure out how to bring both cars but the coupe is the #1 choice. My biggest concern is business may take me overseas during this period. I guess I should go ahead and register.

I feel that my coupe is like a beautiful woman and my Elise is simply a minx; I can enjoy both for very different reasons. No offense intended to anyone.

·
Registered
992 Posts
"I feel that my coupe is like a beautiful woman and my Elise is simply a minx; I can enjoy both for very different reasons. No offense intended to anyone." >> I can see statements like that offending a lot of people here. :p

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Welcome. With 5000 miles on the Elise, why not go ahead and change with oil? My car had 1 year and 2500 miles since the previous oil change. The oil was thick, black and the engine noisy. I have changed it twice since then to flush the oil cooler. Now the engine is smooth as silk! I am using the larger K&N HP-2009 filter as suggested here, which also increases the amount of oil in the system slightly. I'd be glad to pop by and help if you don't want to tackle this by yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With 5000 miles on the Elise, why not go ahead and change with oil?
I purchased the car from a reputable vintage / exotics dealer. They told me that they had changed the oil, and after inspecting, it is clear and golden. I will however pick up the filter you suggest. Your offer to come and help is appreciated, I may take you up on it. I should point out though that I put myself through college working as an import car mechanic (mainly German cars) so fear of changing oil / filter is not a concern. On the other hand, I have never worked on a Lotus (other than my instrument lights) so a few pointers would be helpful. With my BMW coupe I am convinced that many service jobs are better suited to Black Forest Elves. With I Lotus I suspect some other type of mystical creature must be involved because it doesn't appear to be humanly possible to reach most parts. :evil:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello and welcome :wave:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
this was one of the two Lotuses (Lotii?)
Since you asked (kind of), the plural of Lotus is "Lotus". As in: "There are Lotus parked over there.". If it is awkward to use Lotus a s a plural, then you can say "There are Lotus cars parked over there."

Lotuses and Lotii are not correct (even though I sometimes catch my self using "Lotuses".

·
Registered
992 Posts
"form our own club"?... Uncle, I thought u got a Vette now? u have another Lotus now? :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.