The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a choice where I live - i can buy "real gas" they call it. No alcohol, but 60 cents/gallon more. If it is 93 octane - do I want that instead of the alcohol blended 93 octane?? Or am i flirting with danger?

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,443 Posts
At the same octane I’m guessing most will advise the “real gas”. The blended is to help reduce emissions (though is comes with other affects too), not sure if that would decrease the life expectancy of your cat or not. As much as I drive my Lotus, the $0.60 a gallon is not much of a difference. I’m not sure if you would need a different tune to run the different fuels, and even with a specific tune I’m not sure you would see a significant difference in hp with a tune or not. You might see a difference in mpg though.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
What's the actual concentration of alcohol in that fuel? For the price, it sounds awfully close to E85, but I'd expect the octane to be higher? Most cars can tolerate moderate amounts of alcohol - check the manual to see what it says. My manual is 800mi away or I'd check.

Alcohol is going to drop your power if you don't tune for it in addition to incompatibility with gaskets and whatnot. I'd stay away unless it is fairly mild - say 15% alcohol or less.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well pump gas i guess is 10% ethanol?
I'm talking about switching over to 0% ethanol. Is there a downside or upside? Better mileage would be sweet. Horsepower i got.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a choice where I live - i can buy "real gas" they call it. No alcohol, but 60 cents/gallon more. If it is 93 octane - do I want that instead of the alcohol blended 93 octane?? Or am i flirting with danger?
Not worth the 60 cents per gallon. Probably real world only 1-2% more energy content "real" gas versus blended (blended may be oxygenated) so theoretically only that improvement in power and fuel economy is available. However, the blended fuel might tolerate more ignition advance (if tuned for it) and in some situations equal "real" gasoline.

Anybody with inside info from NASCAR testing, or maybe Phil's dyno testing please jump in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts