The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I'm a Swiss automotive fine artist and came across your great forum. Unfortunately I do not own a Lotus and I hope you won't crucify me for this but I have a 1968 Porsche 911...
I do love the Elise though, but I think it's too expensive in the US. If I lived in the Europe I'd buy an MKI Elise in a heartbeat (my cousin actually designed that car).

OK, now to my question: I'm currently working on a Lotus 79 painting and during my research I came across several different versions of this car.
I would like to confirm that the photograph below is from the 1978 season (the year Andretti won the F1 Championship).
Is the livery correct for that year (1978)? I don't seem to remember the Union Jack in front of the 'J' on the side of the car.

I'm not using this photograph/angle of the car per se, I would just like to confirm the livery of the car.

Many thanks,
Nicolas Hunziker

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i have nothing of substance to add to the discussion, but i just recognised that i used to have a little matchbox one of these in third grade...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your kind words in regards to my art.

I'd post my latest Lotus painting but I'm not sure if it's OK to post paintings (commercial posts) in this forum.

Regards,
n.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Thanks for your kind words in regards to my art.

I'd post my latest Lotus painting but I'm not sure if it's OK to post paintings (commercial posts) in this forum.

Regards,
n.

It should be fine and appreciated. We allow people to post tvs in headrests.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I saw the TVs in the headrest... I almost fainted (I ripped out the sound deadening, deleted the radio and speakers, the rear-seats, replaced the seats and door panels with lightweight ones, metal panels with fiberglass panels and even deleted the clock in an effort to lighten my 911... like Colin Chapman said: "Just add lightness")

There's a Lotus Elise in my future, my former neighboor in CA tried to import the MKI Elise and fit VTEC engines but he couldn't get them federalized.

Here's the Lotus F1 piece. It's an original painting, acrylic on canvas.

Cheers,
n.

Attachments

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
Make posters of your painting.

Number and sign them.

We will buy them.

Any questions? :clap:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Going to an official book is the best bet, however I am going to throw in my probably inaccurate rememberances. The Olympus camera livery was not the only side panel art if I remember correctly, it changed with the JPS depending on the race. Also important, the 78 model carried over into the next year for the first few Grand Prix until the 79 model was developed. The Union Jack in front of the number 5 near the rear wheel was earlier than the car pictured. All of this is probably wrong, but it is fun to look back. Best of luck with your art.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Count me as a second recommendation for Tipler's book both as a Lotus fan as well as being a very interesting story about how ground effects came to be.

Steve

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Tipler is a nice guy. I met him at LOG last year. It was only after talking to him for a while did I realize who he was. I have his book on the 7 and like it. He is currently a free lance journalist. Each issue of the Official Lotus Club magazine seems to have an article with his byline. I hope he attends LOG again this year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The original painting is for sale.

There's a chance that we'll make a limited edition print run, but not sure yet. 99% of my sales are original pieces.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll look it up.

Cheers,
nicolashunziker.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This isn't Lotus 79 related but I just remembered that I had another Lotus painting... How could I forget about Sir Clark?

Cheers,
n.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
You, Sir, are a magnificent painter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts