The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought a 2010 Evora in Dubai where I teach at a university. It's "new" (had about 35km on it) but I got it at a small independent car dealer in Dubai. The nearest Lotus dealer is in Oman . . . a 5 hour drive away. I spent a fairly significant amount of time reading this forum before I purchased (and even more since I bought) so I know there are going to be some issues with that. I can only hope I got lucky and have one of the less troublesome cars. I won't know for a bit because I flew to visit family in San Diego for two months--less than two weeks after I bought the car. In the short time I've had to drive it I've had a blast. Definitely never driven a car that handles like it. I'm flying back in two weeks and really can't wait at this point.

Thankfully I read the forums first and learned about the battery issue. Having just left every other car I've owned over there for the summer without problem, I would have been in for an annoying surprise when I got back. Instead, I have a friend running the car once a week for me.

I wouldn't have known about the battery issue because the owner's manual that came with the car is in Arabic--not helpful for me at all. I visited the new Lotus dealer in San Diego and purchased an English manual so now I'm doing my reading.

Most of the questions I have about the car I've been able to figure out by searching the forums, though there have been a few minor things I'm still wondering about.

1) Mounting the license plates: I bought the mounting kit for European plates at the San Diego Lotus dealer, but for the life of me I'm not sure how it's supposed to attach to the splitter. I'll post a pic of it later. And at the risk of sounding naive, what about the rear plate? Am I seriously just supposed to screw into the body work? As a short term solution I just 3M taped it in place.

2) One car cleaning issue I haven't seen discussed--how do you (can you?) clean the vents on the side of the car? I know a lot of you are fortunate enough to be able to treat your cars with velvet gloves . . . but mine is going to have to be the feral cat to your pampered house cats. I live on campus and we don't have garages--just covered carports, and the sand is unavoidable. I know you aren't supposed to be shooting water up in there, so what do you do? I assume the grilles can't be removed . . .

3) I bought the Radium cold air intake and am taking it back with me. Should I wait for the first service to install it?

Anyway, thanks so much for all the help that you have given new owners by staying engaged with these forums--it's been absolutely invaluable.

Cheers,

Bill

Some pics:

Here's the dealer where I bought the car. It was nestled between Ferraris, Bentleys and Lamborghinis amongst others.

Parked outside the College's wood shop (I teach in the architecture school) while I figure out how to jury rig the license plates:

Where the car has spent the summer (I know, I know . . . ):

Interior (before I removed the shipping shrink-wrap on the door handles):

Arabic owner's manual. Very helpful. :rolleyes: :

Shot at 2012-08-22

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Nice! Congrats!

Can't really help you on the mounting plates.. Mine came with holes in the back already. And the front mounting tray is meant to be drilled directly into the body AFAIK. I assume it's the same thing in your case.

Regarding cleaning behind the side vents--as long as you don't go spraying masive amounts of water at full force into the vent, you should be okay.. But even if you did, unless you have the radium intake installed, it should pose no problems either. The stock intake is perpendicular to the air duct so direct water spray would not go right into it. The Radium intake is a different story. Direct water spray would likely soak the cone filter. Anyway use a hand pump sprayer filled with plain water to lightly wash out any sand that may accumulate behind the grills. You don't need a lot of water to do this and it should drain forward since the air duct flows upward.

Lastly, install the Radium CAI after your first visit. But know that with any subsequent visit, your dealership may give you a hard time about it if they spot it.

Anyway, again-- congrats and good luck on everything. If you need any more help, you're at the right place. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
257 Posts
.......... "Lastly, install the Radium CAI after your first visit. But know that with any subsequent visit, your dealership may give you a hard time about it if they spot it."

Not sure that is true..... My dealer service shop has no problem with the CAI being installed. Other places on the forum suggest the same. If there are no problems associated with the CAI then Lotus are not concerned. My friend also spoke directly to a visiting Lotus guy who suggested that the CAI in Texas heat could be a good improvement and encouraged it

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to the world of lotus :) I am based in oman and bought a lotus Elise sc in 2011. If you are under warranty cross check with the local dealer before installing any after market stuff. You mention the closest dealer to you is in Oman. I know the dealer here checks with lotus direct and a lot of things for me have been labelled as can void the warranty (aftermarket exhaust, HID lights are the ones I checked) hence I am holding off from installing any after market stuff till after the warranty expires. The dealer here has closed it's doors now and is not selling anymore new cars but they are still doing my services and honoring any warranty claims for me. They had a dark grey evora with red interior, a lotus Elise r and a exige that they sold for really cheap to Dubai just two months ago to clear the showroom as they opened a used car store there instead. If yours is one of them, hope you got it at a bargain :)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Not sure that is true..... My dealer service shop has no problem with the CAI being installed.
It's a YMMV situation. Personally I'm highly skeptical of folks who claim their dealerships are supportive of aftermarket additions to emissions or powertrain. Not accusing anyone of lying, but every dealership I've ever dealt with do not like it. Anyone who can recommend a Lotus dealership in LA that is pro-aftermarket install, let me know. Trust me.. there aren't any. The guys over at Galpin --the first thing they asked was what I had on my car (at the time I had nothing) when I was inquiring about repair work on my car. Newport European refused to do work on my car unless it was bone stock.. yes I know it's Bullsh*t ..Just speaking out of first hand experience, and I don't have time for legal actions to waste my time on. I've got more important things to fuss about.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's interesting to hear about the dealer in Oman. I still haven't contacted them yet. I have to when I get back because I don't really know for sure what the warranty status is on the car. It only had 25 miles on it when I bought it, but who knows how long it was sitting in that dealership . . . and whether the in-service date had been activated when they transferred it from Oman? I'll hold off installing the cai until I get a better handle on things.

I'm amazed that Lotus decided to produce gulf spec cars for such a low volume model. The only differences I know of so far are the Arabic manual, the Arabic script on the passenger side mirror and the 120km/hr speed limit light that illuminates on the dash.

One funny little moment this summer: my friend who is starting the car for me told me one of the reverse lamps was out. I'm thinking, "Oh god, it's starting already?! :p" So I take a trip to the Lotus dealer here to buy a replacement bulb. The woman at the parts counter suggests it might be that there is only one reverse lamp, cause that's how it is on the Jaguars. I was polite, but internally completely dismissed that idea. The parts guy calls me back an hour later and says, " So it turns out there is only one reverse lamp, the other is a fog lamp." Moral of the story? Trust the crusty veteran office lady in the dealership.

I kind of fiddled with the mounting pedestal for the front plate on one of the Evoras while I was at the dealer. I'm still not sure how it works. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get back.

As far as price, I guess I did ok . . . but not a bargain. The dealer was asking 260,000 Dirhams ($71k). I bargained down to 225,000 ($61k). It has every available option including the power folding windows, upgraded wheels and paint, etc. The only thing I'm unsure about is the close ratio shifter, but I suspect it has that too. So, I think it was a reasonable price.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That does sound like a good deal. 220000 Dhs is the price they were selling the lotus Elise sc.
In the elise you get extra carpeting and a rear air-conditioner (something like mercs air scarf) for the gulf spec. It was part of the requirements to sell them here to have extra heat insulation and not as much raw metal that can heat up under the sun.
I never saw a white one at the dealership here. Maybe yours is not one originating from the dealer here. If you have the usual yellow side markers (the yellow lights on the front and rear wheel arches) then it is most likely a US spec car imported and they got the manuals from Oman.

If you need any help at this end with the dealer let me know.

P.S. Your pics on your first post are not showing up.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh . . . that's weird about the photos. I used imageshack, maybe that's a problem. I'll see if I can attach them directly.

It would be great if you can give me a contact at the dealer in Muscat!

The car is definitely gulf spec. I'll post a pic of that. I don't think there are any other Middle Eastern dealers, so it must have come from there I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the Arabic manual and some other shots . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pm sent with contact info

The car looks great btw congrats.

Ya I ended up ordering a English manual from the UK too. I can read and speak Arabic but not in reference to car stuff :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Nice one!I guess it is the one which stayed at al Ketbi Motors for a long while!I missed it as i also was interested last April.
Despite there is no official dealer here,i've contacted Lotus in UK to get some informations about the way to maintain the car here.The reply was quick.First for your information,the cars who have Gulf Specs also have a European CoC.
The Airbus Middle East Office is based in Abu Dhabi,and they told me that we should be able to get spare parts from them.I'll get back to you soon with the contact details.

Cheers
Nico

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi UAE Lotus owners :)
Congrads on your cars & welcome to the club.
I'm in touch with most of the Dubai based owners, so if you want to add to the numbers on our next meet-up, send me a PM and we'll put you on the list.
You should also know that Lotus will open their UAE dealer 'soon' (I was told after Eid by Lotus ME based in Abu Dhabi) so you'll not have to depend on Lotus Oman or their sub-dealer Al Ketbi
Cheers Sean
PS Bill, yes you're Evora has got the close ratio gearbox fitted

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Great to hear from you guys and feel less alone.

I'll send you a PM, Sean. I'd love to meet up with everyone. That's good to know about the gearbox--did you look at the car before?

It would be a huge relief if they open a service/dealer in Dubai!

That's also interesting news, Nico. Hope you pull the trigger on an Evora. Here is what I know from two months ago: there is a used red one at a dealer in that huge car lot where al Ketbi is--supposedly owned by a sheikh in Oman (the battery was dead when I looked at it); there is a used black one at a small dealer in Sharjah--I test drove it and it was in limp mode, though I didn't know what that was at the time. I'll post pics for you.

Thanks, MTLDean . . . I love it! The only thing I'm considering doing to it is maybe adding a black wrap to the roof. I like the way that looks in this color combo.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are the other two Evoras I took a look at in Sharjah and Dubai:

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Sean,i've sent you a PM.Any idea about the opening date of Lotus in Dubai?
ByJoveByJingle,I'm actually looking at the second one you posted.It seems that the 1st one has been sold.As i had no reply from the showroom in Sharjah,i've passed by and the car was no longer there.

I also found a crashed one in a scrapyard in Sharjahi'll try to post some Pics,that might be helpfull for spare parts...

Cheers
Nico

·
Registered
105 Posts
The black one looks like the one they had here in Omans showroom before shutting down. The other one based on the Qatar plates is imported and most likely used. How much are/were they asking for the black one if you recall? Interesting to know how much below retail they went for.

P.S. The only red evora that used to be in Oman was a test car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts