The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just bought myself an 05 Elise & am loving every minute of it!!!!

I have a question regarding the interior fan (and air con) and have tried searching but the 'search' function won't allow for short words like 'fan'

The guy i bought the car from said that the fan works on and off, but it hasnt worked for me at all yet.

When you turn the fan knob on 1,2 or 3 nothing happens, when you press the AC button the blue light lights up and you can hear the AC kicking in but with no fan comes no cooling/heating!

So.... can anybody point me to some threads or suggest what to look for in case its an easy non-dealer fix.

I have looked in the fuse box and fuse 3 for interior fan looks fine as do the fuses under the dashboard.

This may not be related but in the relay box the manual says:
A - Horn
B - Cooling Fan
C - -
D - -
when looking at my relay box i have:
A - bosch fuse thing (sorry not technical here :S )
B - nothing (even in the holes there is no metal contacts even if something was plugged in - normal??? )
C - another bosch fuse thing
D - has a little cable plugged in to 2 of the 5 holes in the connection.

Sorry for the long post and appreciate any help :)

Brendon

Oh and here is a pic :)

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Is this a US Federal car? Or are you across a pond?

Have you checked the fan control module attached to the wheel liner on the front? It is easy to become unplugged and simply plugging it in should fix things.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im across the pond in Australia, no i havent checked that, is that the connector i have read becomes disconnected whilst accessing the headlights (via wheel liner)???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Love the auberdine!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they are stock as the elise i hired last week had the same wheels....
Yeah i wasnt 100% on the colour but love it now, especially with the mustard coloured interior, contrasts nicely.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Check fuse C1 under the dash, if that's OK then the first thing that comes to my mind is the fan "resistor pack" which is buried in the front "climate" enclosure. There was a problem with these getting corroded due to water collecting. There was a Lotus "service fix" which entailed drilling a number of "drain" holes under the car. If this is the case you will need a new resistor pack.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Hope you fix the problem but I love those wheels. Are they stock from Lotus or what.
Stock Elise S wheels and the original S2 wheels. You can get them in the US from dealers.

Hello everyone,

I just bought myself an 05 Elise & am loving every minute of it!!!!

I have a question regarding the interior fan (and air con) and have tried searching but the 'search' function won't allow for short words like 'fan'

The guy i bought the car from said that the fan works on and off, but it hasnt worked for me at all yet.

When you turn the fan knob on 1,2 or 3 nothing happens, when you press the AC button the blue light lights up and you can hear the AC kicking in but with no fan comes no cooling/heating!

So.... can anybody point me to some threads or suggest what to look for in case its an easy non-dealer fix.

I have looked in the fuse box and fuse 3 for interior fan looks fine as do the fuses under the dashboard.

This may not be related but in the relay box the manual says:
A - Horn
B - Cooling Fan
C - -
D - -
when looking at my relay box i have:
A - bosch fuse thing (sorry not technical here :S )
B - nothing (even in the holes there is no metal contacts even if something was plugged in - normal??? )
C - another bosch fuse thing
D - has a little cable plugged in to 2 of the 5 holes in the connection.

Sorry for the long post and appreciate any help :)

Brendon

Oh and here is a pic :)
Hi Brendon,

Welcome to the club!! Pop on over to Aussie Elises if you haven't already - lots of members in Sydney who meet up in Naremburn for pizza on a regular basis!

Cheers
Steve :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Brendon,

Welcome to the club!! Pop on over to Aussie Elises if you haven't already - lots of members in Sydney who meet up in Naremburn for pizza on a regular basis!

Cheers
Steve :)
Would love to steve, have been trying to register for over a week now, activation email was not being sent to me so i changed my email address and then received the activation email.....but still can't post or even contact an admin to help me :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok first i am going to try and remove the wheel liner to check if the fan control module has become unplugged as per Randy's recommendation........

I need help on removing the wheel liner.....i have found instructions that say to remove a bolt at the top and 2 screws at the bottom which i have done but mine won't budge...

I have attached 2 pictures below that show you in RED the bolts/screws i removed and in BLUE other bolts/screws that it looks like I must remove to get the wheel liner off.....

Is it possible mine has more screws to remove than normal??

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Would love to steve, have been trying to register for over a week now, activation email was not being sent to me so i changed my email address and then received the activation email.....but still can't post or even contact an admin to help me :(
Geoff is often away - it normally takes a while to to get through but I'll send him a message.

I've also sent you a PM

·
Registered
123 Posts
mine was the same last week, as TheViper said, the dealer is replacing the defective part under warranty, but the blower started working again last night........

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think you don't need to remove the liner to get access to it. You can peek at the connections through the access panel on the top of the car (with the panel removed). It is a simple check to see if the connector is plugged in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Randy will try that in the morning :)

If it is my "resistor pack" then where would be the best place to buy parts from??

I think you don't need to remove the liner to get access to it. You can peek at the connections through the access panel on the top of the car (with the panel removed). It is a simple check to see if the connector is plugged in.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think they are stock as the elise i hired last week had the same wheels....
Yeah i wasnt 100% on the colour but love it now, especially with the mustard coloured interior, contrasts nicely.
Love the color too. Same as mine. Mustard interior????? I would like to see some pics of that.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Randy, I don't believe the module you are referring to has anything to do with the blower fan. This module controls the engine cooling fans and A/C compressor. :)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
hey maybe the fan IS working. it moves so little air you may not realize it is ON rotfl

·
Registered
17 Posts
Randy, I don't believe the module you are referring to has anything to do with the blower fan. This module controls the engine cooling fans and A/C compressor. :)
Like he said, If when you press the AC button and you hear the compressor click the module is ok. My guess is the resistor pack in the blower motor, they always tend to corrode if you haven't drilled the drain holes at the bottom of the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts