The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and I'm in the market for a used Elise. I don't want to waste any of you people's precious time so I'll try and keep it short and sweet :) Anyway there is a local lotus elise for sale and I am very interested in it. It is a 2005 Red Elise with 19k miles on it--the seller is asking 22k OBO. The problem is, is that it is a salvaged title. The seller was saying that the car was previously inspected by Lotus and he has an inspection sheet to prove that it is in good condition. I was previously reading through the many other threads about this and even the sticky in the "For Sale" Section. I'm still unsure though, so I thought I'd come here for your guy's expert advise. The car is located down here in SoCal, and I was reading around about some red salvaged elise making its way around here to unsuspecting victims and I'm a little weary. Anyway thank you for taking the time to read this post and any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You know what after doing a little more research, buying a salvaged elise like this probably isn't worth it...what do you guys think?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
You know what after doing a little more research, buying a salvaged elise like this probably isn't worth it...what do you guys think?

I would never buy a salvage titled car.....If I couldn't afford a 'non-salvage' car, I'd wait until I could. To me, HAVING no Elise would be better than having a salvage Elise. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
....no Elise would be better than a salvage Elise. IMHO.
Does that mean you prefer salvaged elises over ALL others? :D j/k

And to the OP, stay away from salvage titles, they have been salvaged for a reason. I SERIOUSLY doubt lotus would stand behind a car that had a damaged frame (this seems to be the most common reason these cars get scrapped).

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Most people will agree to stay away from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright that makes sense, I just thought that maybe since lotus checked it out and said it was good that there was hope for it being alright...anyways thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Alright that makes sense, I just thought that maybe since lotus checked it out and said it was good that there was hope for it being alright...anyways thanks for the help everyone.
I highly doubt that claim as well. Usually, it is Lotus that needs to convince the insurance company that the car is totalled, no the other way around.

If Lotus felt the car was fine, why would it have been totalled?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Nowadays non-salvaged are cheap enough. I saw two Elise's posted in the LA area for $28k a few months ago. I would say the extra $6k would be worth it for a pink slip car. The reality is some salvaged cars did not receive frame damage but unless you were able to inspect the car at the time of the accident is is much more difficult to assess that once the car has been fixed. So unless you can 100% confirm no frame damage I would say go with pink slip. Good luck in your quest!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I would consider buying a salvage titled Elise if, and only if, I saw the damage done to it and saw what repairs were undertaken. They can be repaired well, but doing so is expensive and I would expect many people to try to take shortcuts (we've seen it before). The biggest issue by far is the chassis...often (usually?) totaled Elises will have some degree of chassis damage (usually damage to the suspension mounting points). The only repair I'd feel comfortable with in that case, and the only repair authorized by Lotus in that case, is replacement of the chassis (not cheap but very doable).

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I was tempted by the low price of salvage vehicles when I first started considering as well. There's always the uncertainty of the history of the vehicle/repair, and re-selling one isn't all that easy either.
After some debate, I realized that I'd hold out for a non-salvage, in the _exact_ specifications I desired - and my dream came true just months later.
(cept for the dream of paying $25k for an Elise. ended up paying $10k more than that, but it was worth it I'd say)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'm going to hold out on on elise for now... I've also had my eye on an NSX, this one local z06, a neighbor's 94 TT supra...or dare I say, even a 03-04 Cobra. I know they're not nearly as fun or unique as a elise, but I guess at least they are interesting enough to tie me over till I find the right lotus--at this point I might wait and save the extra bit to find an exige.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
haha thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'm going to hold out on on elise for now... I've also had my eye on an NSX, this one local z06, a neighbor's 94 TT supra...or dare I say, even a 03-04 Cobra. I know they're not nearly as fun or unique as a elise, but I guess at least they are interesting enough to tie me over till I find the right lotus--at this point I might wait and save the extra bit to find an exige.
I'll let you buy the Supra or the NSX but I won't forgive you if you buy the Cobra.:rolleyes: That is some all-over the place car considerations. Big, heavy cars with big power or a light Lotus with power...cars that turn, cars that work best going straight...hmmmm I would say they meet different driving needs. What is the vehicle going to be - DD or weekend car or track car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also have my eyes on this LS1 powered Rx7 ;) I know the rotary lovers care going to hate me for it, but those things can be plain wicked. Yeah the car considerations are all over the place, I'm not searching in any particular niche. The car won't exactly be a dedicated anything, just basically something to fill any role that it seems fit or is appropriate...if that makes any sense. I'm not looking for it to fill any role in particular other than an fun or interesting car to drive.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I also have my eyes on this LS1 powered Rx7 ;) I know the rotary lovers care going to hate me for it, but those things can be plain wicked. Yeah the car considerations are all over the place, I'm not searching in any particular niche. The car won't exactly be a dedicated anything, just basically something to fill any role that it seems fit or is appropriate...if that makes any sense. I'm not looking for it to fill any role in particular other than an fun or interesting car to drive.
I'd vote for the Lotus or the NSX if you don't have tons of dough. If you buy a Supra there is just so many modifications you can do to make crazy power I would think it would be a let down to keep it stock, and yet a money pit if you want to mod it. The Lotus and NSX look nice in stock trim (throw on some wheels maybe). A stock TT Supra is a frickin' crime in my book. All three are great DD performance cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts