The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

first i must say that my mechanical knowledge is very low.

I have some questions, maybe stupid questions but i need to know.

1. Is it a problem to run the engine between 2000 and 3000 RPM in town? Should i run it at higher RPM or it is okay?

2. I have a rattle sound coming from the motor, when i'm on idle i can hear it loud enough in the car... Someone told me maybe a pulley or water pump... I uploaded a movie of it on youtube, maybe someone could give me an idea?

3. Some people told not to bothered with sounds in Lotus cause there are a lot of strange sounds, but i have two more sounds i will try to record and post them here...

Thanks guys.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been on many forums for different subjects. I know how older member treats newbie. They always think EVERY newbie doesn't read before posting. I knew i would probably had this kind of answer, but i did search all the way and didn't find my answer. So i posted! That's the reason of this forum, no?! Maybe i should have use another title! :)

Here is another link that should work fine regarding the engine noise.

Like i said, i'm no good on the mechanical side, but it sounds like a strap not tight enough... I can hear it pretty good when i'm stopped on a red light... Would appreciate any inputs...

BTW, thanks Aedo.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Here is another link that should work fine regarding the engine noise.
do you hear that noise only on cold starts, or when the engine is running a while, or both?

& from the video it sounds like the noise is more prominant near the pully side of the engine... when the engine is off does the belt seem pretty firm as far as tension goes?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear that sound everytime, on idle, cold or hot engine.

I have an appointment with my mecano on thursday, so that's why i would like your inputs...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Get a wooden dowel, put one end against your ear, press the other end against various points of your engine. Isolate where the noise is coming from. Suggested places to make contact: lower block, head, supercharger.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a wooden dowel, put one end against your ear, press the other end against various points of your engine. Isolate where the noise is coming from. Suggested places to make contact: lower block, head, supercharger.
I did try, i hear the same music in the head, stronger in supercharged, but the sound is more external than internal, i think... I hope... :(

·
Registered
239 Posts
There are so many rattles! I've not been able to view your video, but as a fellow newbie to the cars and the community use google instead of the forum search. I've had to use google to find things I saw just a few days before. I will try and watch on my home computer to give a more useful answer.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
RPM-wise, you have a supercharger, so no real issue driving around town between 2000 - 3000 rpm. I normally shift at 3500 - 5000 around town, with an NA Elise, depending on how quickly I am trying to get going. Now, if it is very hot outside, you might find that you need to be one gear down to keep RPM up and coolant flowing a little faster. If I am driving at 4200rpm, the engine temps will drop to 187 even when it is hot outside. But at 2500, more like 192-195. That was before my coolant was flushed, which was just done a few weeks ago. Have not had a chance to see if that made any difference.

That noise doesn't sound too normal to me, and Lotus do make a lot of little noises. Perhaps a Lotus dealer can check it out for you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts