The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a shear panel? Been trying to track down a buzz, and heard this might be a common cause.

Also, what does the e crest on the car refer to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man!
I'll be checking the shear panel soon. Now I know what it looks like and where it is, but not too sure of it's function.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Thanks man!
I'll be checking the shear panel soon. Now I know what it looks like and where it is, but not too sure of it's function.
A shear panel is the name of a structural member (like a beam is a structural member).

In the case of a shear panel, is takes force in one direction and spreads it out. In the case of the Elise, it take the fore and aft forces of the side rails and helps to transfer it to the other side, keeping the rails aligned. Picture a cardboard box without a top of bottom. The box is floppy and can't hold it's shape. Now take the same box with the top and bottom flaps folded over and taped together. The box is now pretty strong and holds it's shape. The top and bottom act as the shear panels (actually all six sides are the shear panel).

The shear panel on the Elise is the panel that is above the under-tray, and below the gas tank - the one with the big round holes in it. It is a structural member of the car, and you should never drive with out it in place.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah! OK.
Sounds like that panel would be better off bonded and riveted in place rather than bolted, and potentially loosened over time. I guess it was necessary to allow access for assembly and service.
Thanks man!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts