The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is an old subject, I searched and did not find much current information.
I am looking for turbo kit options for my '07 Elise. After stuffing my EVO8 in a ditch (stupid wet mossy roads!) I opted for an Elise, something new and different, always intrigued by them and the price was within my reach. I dont regret it at all! Well, not yet, I have only had it about 3 months...but it totally rocks.
I have driven many supercharged cars. Not for me. I am looking to see what turbo options are available for this thing.
Can anyone point me to a vendor that has a comprehensive kit? I really dont want to do a one-off custom build, too much work! Just something I can bolt on (and unbolt for emissions every two years!).
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave: - great to hear that you are enjoying your Elise too :)

The reason you haven't found anything on recent turbo applications for the Elise is that there aren't any of the shelf options on the market (there are several supercharger options though).

Curious as to why the supercharged cars were not for you (but turbo ones obviously are)?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...forcedfed used to offer three different turbo kits for the 111 platform, but they appear to have been bought out by modacar, which doesn't list anything specific in their catalog at the moment...

...they were very expensive and rare kits which tended to run very hot, which can be an issue in these cars...that said, there are several happy FF turbo installations on this forum - do a google search for 'turbo site:lotustalk.com' and they should pop right up...

...if you follow the turbo route, though, be prepared for some significant custom modifications beyond the base kit in order to properly dissipate heat...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Good turbo kits are far and few... You would need to DIY it or find a decent shop you trust. Thanks for crashing a rare Evo 8, try not to do the same to the Elise....

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Frank at moremonkey has a comprehensive turbo setup. I'd call it 'semi-custom'. I have the setup also, PM me if you want more information. It's not mild, around 500hp.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A friend in Denver has a shop that looking to build a Kit but they need a test car. I'm sure they will get one when wenter comes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies!
To me, a supercharged car just feels like a fast N/A car. It's not exciting, and the whine is annoying...just my opinion! not trying to make anyone mad. I have driven mild and wild turbo builds (my EVO had the Vishnu 360Hp kit) and they are a total blast with tons of power everywhere (when tuned right). They can be laggy (stock evo is kind of laggy actually) but with the right tune, I love me some turbo.

Sounds like there might be a few semi-custom options then.
I did call Forced Fed, but they are no longer around. Modacar (who owned forced fed) closed them down and no longer sell turbo kits.
He said something about getting torn apart on the forums, "too many arm-chair engineers"....you guys are so bad!
I will do some more research, but in the meantime, I will just enjoy the car before winter comes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by the way, most of the stuff I have found (old posts, etc) about turbos, were all on 2005 models. Someone told me that 2005 models have a cable throttle and my car doesnt? is that true? mine is a 2007
is that a problem for tuning?

p.s. dont worry about the "rare" evo, I sold it to a friend who is rebuilding it into a drag/track car. so it will live on! they are tough as nails!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
2006+ all have DBW, no cables.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There is a bit more to the lack of turbo kits available than us being a tough audience (which I won't deny). Turbo lag is at minimum annoying, and at worst disastrous when you're trying to smoothly apply power as you exit a corner. Superchargers are far more linear, almost NA-like. Then too, many people autocross and turbo lag is very noticeable and detrimental.

·
Registered
663 Posts
turbolag is only bad if you do not know how to drive a turbocharged car &/or if it's a huge turbo. I own 2 turbocharged fwd cars one develops 270-280 whp/wtq & the other 250whp & 310wtq. Both are quite easy to go through turns w/o any lag (putnam park, beaver run etc), you just have to know how to drive it :)

To me the worst thing about turbo's is their heat which isn't a issue for my cars or other cars which came from the factory with a turbo. But for a elise/exige I am sure it is a issue that can be costly to overcome. I definantly prefer turbo's to s-chargers but when I do finally get a exige it will have a supercharger.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Welcome,

You could always do a Honda Conversion on the engine and turbo charge it from there. Guy here in the UK has done it with his S1 Elise i think hes pushing 200 or 300+ BHP

Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2006+ all have DBW, no cables.
does this mean that it is harder to tune with a standalone or whatever engine mangment system is used?

not talking me out of a turbo! good tries though!

a honda swap? man, this isnt a civic! ha ha aha.
If I went through all the trouble of doing a swap, it would damn well make much more than 200-300 bhp!
And I dont want to completely rebuild the car, just enhance it!

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Naw- Pretty much the same story as with the older cable cars anymore...

Depending on your goals, turbo should be a great setup. That said, there's currently no real kit to buy. Take a look at the hypersport race car for some ideas and turbo placement if you plan to track the car alot... If not, you should be able to get away with just about anything... to a point of course;)

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
not talking me out of a turbo! good tries though!
I must admit you haven't really justified your desire for a turbo and as such I don't fully understand why you are so dogmatic as to that approach - do you want a fast Elise or are you after the lag-shove effect :shrug:

There is a reason that there are four demonstrated and proven "bolt on" supercharger kits for the Elise but no turbo kits and it isn't for lack of trying.

a honda swap? man, this isnt a civic! ha ha aha.
If I went through all the trouble of doing a swap, it would damn well make much more than 200-300 bhp!
And I dont want to completely rebuild the car, just enhance it!
Honda swaps are common in Europe on older Rover engined Elises - and the current engine is from Toyota so not as out there as you think! In terms of HP the standard NA installs are 240hp and the supercharged version +300hp.
The car chapster mentions is the first I've heard of a turbo Honda Elise - supercharging is the standard!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I must admit you haven't really justified your desire for a turbo and as such I don't fully understand why you are so dogmatic as to that approach - do you want a fast Elise or are you after the lag-shove effect :shrug:

There is a reason that there are four demonstrated and proven "bolt on" supercharger kits for the Elise but no turbo kits and it isn't for lack of trying.
I thought the reason s-charger kits were so common vs turbo kits was also and possibly most importantly the cost involved. Looked like turbo kits were 2x's the price plus!

Anyone have dyno sheets of a elise/exige with a turbo kit so we can compare it to a s-charger?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I have a FF turbo car ('05) and I have a couple of thoughts.

First, there is no real turbo lag in these cars. With a high compression motor and low boost (I run about 8 psi) lag is nonexistent. Anyone who says there is simply hasn't driven one. It makes great power with abundant low end torque that is better than I ever expected. I did see a FF kit for sale on this forum not to long ago.

I have driven an Exige S and I agree with you, I wasn't impressed, but there are supercharged applications now that make astonishing power. Turbophil's BOE system is the one I would go to if you ever decide to go that route. I have had multiple problems with heat, even on a well thought out turbo setup like the FF system. I have thought about taking the turbo out and putting in turbophil's supercharger kit, partly because it produces more power, with less heat problems and partly because I just want a project to do, so who knows, maybe a FF kit might become available.:cool:

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

Honda swaps are common in Europe on older Rover engined Elises - and the current engine is from Toyota so not as out there as you think! In terms of HP the standard NA installs are 240hp and the supercharged version +300hp.
The car chapster mentions is the first I've heard of a turbo Honda Elise - supercharging is the standard!
Yeh, He swapped it from a Rover K20 Engine to a Honda somthing or other... then stuck a turbo on it, theres a video nocking around of a lotus run and you can hear him drive off then the sound of a dump valve.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have a GT3071r on a 2L block & 22+PSI, I have lag when I am under 4K but above that it's not a problem at all when on a track.

8PSI & a GT28...... probably have full boost by 1000-1500 rpm's on the toyota motor??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I will continue on my quest!
Not trying to upset anyone, just like to try new stuff. I am not one to usually follow the crowd (hence the purchase of the elise in the first place).

yes Slaughtr , the people that associate turbos immediately with lag probably have never driven a masterfully tuned kit on a high compression engine with a proper sized turbo. Tons of low end torque and it will pull super hard to redline. It is enough to make anyone a believer. Add some race gas, and things just get better!
Maybe to beat the turbo heat problem (and reduce weight) I can just run with the rear clamshell off...or not...ha haaa (that was a joke!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts