The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd start in here since I just bought a 93.5 SE. Its black/black with an S4 Brembo upgrade, and a few other "mods". It was a decent price partly because there was little service history. I did call the previous owners mechanic and get a rundown of the work that had been done. I also had a PPI done. From what I can see, the previous owners drove it enough to keep things going, but in the last 5 years, they spent almost twice what I paid for the car in repairs. I'm going through the car giving it the TLC it hasn't had. I take a good bit of joy in working on my cars and I didn't want something that I'd be :panic: if it rained while I was out in it. I am curious if anyone knew the car...I did see a picture of it in a wheel thread in one of my searches. Its pretty unique with its Maya wheels (18F/19R). I wonder if any previous owners are on here...

As for me...I've had a number of toys in the past...most recently an 89 Turbo Trans Am. I used to be an all-GM guy, with numerous camaros/firebirds over the years with 1/2 dozen fieros. My friends say I like 80's wedge cars, hence the Esprit purchase. I'm fairly versed with mechanicals, there isn't much I won't try taking apart to fix...like rebuilding the 4 speed auto in the Turbo T/A. Other fleet members are the wifes Audi TT coupe, `12 Jetta TDI wagon, and my late fathers XJS convertible. Dad was a Brit and had long encouraged me to join in the Lucas fun with an Esprit.

So to my dumb question...I did a few searches and wasn't able to find the answer. (prob cause no one else would do this) At some point my car was upgraded to the later S4 spec Brembo's. The car has a set of wheels on it that are IMHO hideous...and it needs tires. For now, I wanted to concentrate on all of the mechanical maintenance rather than burn $$$ on new wheels. I have a line on a set of the OZ Ruote wheels. Will these 15" fronts fit over the S4-spec Brembos? Running the 15/16 combo for a while until I've settled all the other issues would be best to ease my $$$ pain (for now).

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Good news, with that Esprit you are still in the GM club, and not the Lucas club. They used GM parts throughout on the SEs since they were owned by GM around that time.

You should be able to pick up stock SE wheels cheap on eBay. I actually bought a set of 93.5 SE "Revolution" wheels a couple of months ago for $500 including tires. I don't have an SE, but it was all part of buying a set of Nova wheels off of a guy that was selling his SE.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I think the question was what will fit now that the car has had the front calipers changed to Brembos. One way is to find a similar car nearby where the owner will let you try their tires and rims on your car to see what can fit. You should join the local club. Now that you have your new addition and the service history is spotty you need to check the critical things like the timing belt for age and adjustment. You need to do at a minimum an "A" service but if it was my car I would do a "C" service unless I KNEW it had been done and done right. With that much work done you have to wonder if it was all done and done right. I would try to go over it to the extent possible to confirm it is all good. The PPI report is a good place to start and start your service history from that. When I buy a used car one of the first things I do is change all of the fluids and filters. That way I KNOW when it was done and the right filters and fluids are in the car. Tires if over 7 years old or are worn and battery after 5 years or sooner if it fails a load test. Wiper blades if they are raggedy. Fix what is broken and then start fixing leaks. Once it is mechanically reliable then start on the cosmetics, the interior and the painted exterior.
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
For brake clearance, you know you have 18" on the front, so measure the best way you can the distance from the brake caliper to the inside of the rim. If you go down to 15", you need to have a min of 1.5" of clearance now to make that change.

I don't think there would be an issue with clearance from an offset perspective, but that could get you too.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
In order to change to the Brembo brakes, people usually change the front hubs to the later 58mm hub spigot. The 15" Route front wheels fit a 60mm hub, so you'd at least need a hub centric ring... But I kinda doubt the 15" Route wheels fit over the front Brembo calipers...

I know I can't fit my Route wheels over my huge Brembo race brakes ;)
Have my original SE wheels for sale, btw...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
It's a side note, but my Nova's were enlarged to 60mm, so I had to fit the V8's 58mm. I went on the hunt for hub rings and nothing exists in that size pre-made. I got a hold of a shop that makes custom rings and spoke with the owner. He explained he's been doing this for 30 years and with only a 1mm thickness difference, I should save my money and just use a few rounds of electric tape. He went on to explain that the rings are only for locating the wheel before you torque it down and they are not used to maintain the wheel location, or something else is wrong.

In my case, it's 5 rounds of electric tape to make a perfect fit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I somewhat expected that the 15's wouldn't fit...I'll see if I can do some measurement tonight with the wheels I have. I was actually hoping that someone knew this car...although maybe its better that no one does. Some of the things that were done don't make sense. Like the wheel adapters are 5x108 to 5x114.3 but they have M14 studs instead of M12...so the Maya wheels had to be "hogged out" which looks like it was done with a drill and a uni-bit. :no: Another reason for them to go... As one of my friends said, most of the "mods" were done for looks, not for substance.

@David - I absolutely concur that I should make sure all the services were done. I have copies that I obtained from the shop that did the previous work. It confirmed that the last *documented* time that the timing belt was done was 4 years ago but only 4500 miles. Which means it will be getting done ASAP. Job #1 when it arrived was to put it in the air and go over it with a fine toothed comb. Lets just say I have a laundry list. I had lots of time while searching for a car to look at all the wrench-turning threads. Lots to learn here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Travis - I appreciate you having a link to your pics. I've spent a few hours looking at the pics and accompanying threads on all of the work you've done to your car. Both inspiring and informative.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Welcome to the Esprit club!

I, too, have a 93.5 Black/Black.....and I bought it this year. My car had very little in terms of service history, but it looked good from my own inspections of major systems. Since owning, I have found several little items that I have been taking care of. Nothing major, but it seems that since these were low volume cars, there was not alot of testing parts, pieces, bushings, etc for longevity.

My 2 favorite places have been JAE and SJSportscars. Both companies have had everything I've needed.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm pretty certain the 15" wheels won't fit the Brembros.
Also if you have a choice you want to go with a bigger wheel anyway as tires are rare in the 15" size.

Welcome!

Randy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did some measurement last night on the brake setup. I borrowed a tool from a buddy that is used to measure rim size and offset for aftermarket wheels. Surprisingly, you could actually run a 14" rim over the Brembos. I could rotate the tool easily at the 14" diameter; it contacted the caliper at 13 3/4". The problem is the offset necessary to clear the caliper. I needed 3/4" worth of spacer to bolt on the 14" factory spare! Which begs the question...why bother having it in there if I can't use it! I think that the factory setups are usually pretty compact since they want to minimize the spare tire size.

I think I'll give it a whirl and see what happens...I'd venture that there aren't many Esprits local to me to try out. I've seen two here in 15 years of going to car shows, an S2, and a V8 car.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I did some measurement last night on the brake setup. I borrowed a tool from a buddy that is used to measure rim size and offset for aftermarket wheels. Surprisingly, you could actually run a 14" rim over the Brembos. I could rotate the tool easily at the 14" diameter; it contacted the caliper at 13 3/4". The problem is the offset necessary to clear the caliper. I needed 3/4" worth of spacer to bolt on the 14" factory spare! Which begs the question...why bother having it in there if I can't use it! I think that the factory setups are usually pretty compact since they want to minimize the spare tire size.

I think I'll give it a whirl and see what happens...I'd venture that there aren't many Esprits local to me to try out. I've seen two here in 15 years of going to car shows, an S2, and a V8 car.
Welcome kind Sir to the club!
For a bit of backround on the original Toyota based brakes. They are MISERABLE at very best. Someone upgraded because they saw their life flash in front of their eyes one day while cruising along at a whopping 18 mph when a deer ran into the road and they luckily stopped in 204 feet! Keep the Brembo's and find some rims you like. Perhaps you can suffer for a short time while you decide on the rims you would like. But, if you decide you want to go the original route. I have a set of the old Toyota rotors, and calipers that I would gladly and willingly trade you FREE of charge for your Brembo's! How nice of me! :shrug:
Artie

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
The Toyota brakes weren't bad in my experience with my 91 SE. Sure they needed good pads and a good bleed with high temp brake fluid to work well on the track, but they did well when I took the car out the Texas World Speedway several times and had to get hard on the brakes going into turn 1 from 120-130mph.

Certainly they were great for any street conditions.

Maybe yours weren't in good working order at the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts