The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals! Im new to this fourm and plan on getting a 08 exige 240 in the next month or so. my question is, is it possible to make the 240hp bump up to a 340-350hp? i want something thats quick off the line (as it already is) but i want mid range power, if i were to race a corvette z06 or mustang or any car in general, i would want to leave it in the dust!:nanner:

Now please dont write "theres multiple pages about this topic" i just want an answer, just curious if its possible

I plan on using it as an everyday car, also... I know its not a turbo but can it become a turbo? half the reason is its powerful and other half... the blow off vaulve... :Drotfl

thanks so much guys! excited to hear from you!

·
Registered
312 Posts
300hp is relatively easy with the S, check out the koldfire stuff. Turbo's are available too. I do not have a clue who has done it but I have heard of compound charged (super and turbo chargers) Lotus'. I would suggest that you get the car and go from there. My '06 astounds me, I just got it but I do not know if I will ever change anything about it. It is pretty much perfect and already has the performance spec's of a ZO6

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
300hp is relatively easy with the S, check out the koldfire stuff. Turbo's are available too. I do not have a clue who has done it but I have heard of compound charged (super and turbo chargers) Lotus'. I would suggest that you get the car and go from there. My '06 astounds me, I just got it but I do not know if I will ever change anything about it. It is pretty much perfect and already has the performance spec's of a ZO6
whats the difference between the s and normal? and i want to keep either turbo or sc, i dont want both, thats way too many things prone to go wrong, so i cant get 350hp?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Around 300 is where most people are in terms of "bolt-on" upgrades... such as smaller pulley, fuel pump, etc. Talk to Phil at BOE with kold-fire tune (which is what I have... haven't installed the smaller pulley yet though) to achieve around 300 or look into Blade 300 kit.

For around 350, you would proably have to go with a new setup, both turbo or supercharger. You also have to worry about your engine strength and transmission at that level as well. 350 is at a weird place in terms of power level and I don't think you can achieve that with the stock setup. If I was ditching the stock supercharger for more horses, I would probably shoot for 400-450hp while I'm at it since you're basically have to worry about the same thing (engine/transmission build, etc.)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey guys and gals! Im new to this fourm and plan on getting a 08 exige 240 in the next month or so. my question is, is it possible to make the 240hp bump up to a 340-350hp? i want something thats quick off the line (as it already is) but i want mid range power, if i were to race a corvette z06 or mustang or any car in general, i would want to leave it in the dust!:nanner:

Now please dont write "theres multiple pages about this topic" i just want an answer, just curious if its possible

I plan on using it as an everyday car, also... I know its not a turbo but can it become a turbo? half the reason is its powerful and other half... the blow off vaulve... :Drotfl

thanks so much guys! excited to hear from you!
If you want a car that will leave Z06 Corvettes and Mustangs in the dust then this car isn't for you. A Z06 Vette (especially the C6s) will easily walk our little cars on the freeway, even after modifications. Shoot, there are full-sized family sedans that would pull on us in higher gears.

There are a plethora of options out that will get you to around 300 hp. Honestly, unless you plan on swapping transmissions, I wouldn't recommend going much over this power output.

Yes, there are turbo kits out there, some better than others. I personally have a modified Forced Fed kit, and those have been shown over the years to be very reliable. Good luck finding one now, though. The new Radium kits look quite promising. Avoid anything related to the Hass turbo kit like the plague.

I'm obviously a bit bias, but I prefer the extra bump in torque you usually get from a turbo kit as opposed to a supercharger on our little engines. However, the turbo kits are more complex, more expensive, and run into issues in regards to the factory ECU. Right now you can slap on a supercharger kit and have a reflashed factory ECU at your doorstep in a couple of days. There is no need to get a standalone ECU and no need to fly someone down to custom tune your car. With a turbo kit you are either going the standalone route ($$) or having to fly someone down to custom tune your reflashed ECU ($$).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My '06 astounds me, I just got it but I do not know if I will ever change anything about it. It is pretty much perfect and already has the performance spec's of a ZO6
This is just plain incorrect. :shrug:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Yep, just go with dual quad Hollys !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Around 300 is where most people are in terms of "bolt-on" upgrades... such as smaller pulley, fuel pump, etc. Talk to Phil at BOE with kold-fire tune (which is what I have... haven't installed the smaller pulley yet though) to achieve around 300 or look into Blade 300 kit.

For around 350, you would proably have to go with a new setup, both turbo or supercharger. You also have to worry about your engine strength and transmission at that level as well. 350 is at a weird place in terms of power level and I don't think you can achieve that with the stock setup. If I was ditching the stock supercharger for more horses, I would probably shoot for 400-450hp while I'm at it since you're basically have to worry about the same thing (engine/transmission build, etc.)
Oh aight, yeah, i wanna stick to like bolt ons and such, dont wanna have to keep worring about my engine or tranny all the time, okay so 300hp no bad, that would be including ecu tune, smaller pulley, fuel pump... but i wanted a Bov so badly! :mad: lol its cool! whats the 0-60 time on these?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW everyone! thanks for all the responds! lol wasnt expecting all this, u guys are awesome!

as far as driving it without the roof, is that bad? cause I live in LA and its more fun to drive with no top... ;D

·
Registered
312 Posts
whats the difference between the s and normal? and i want to keep either turbo or sc, i dont want both, thats way too many things prone to go wrong, so i cant get 350hp?
The Exige first sold in the US in '06 in naturally aspirated form at 190hp. 2007 started the S which were factory supercharged at 220hp (correct?). You can check out the Exige Wikipedia page too, its quite helpful

·
Registered
736 Posts
"Over 350hp Exige" and "daily driver" don't work. Over 300hp and you'll be a regular transmission swapper.
Shoot for 300. And if you can live without certain things, lighten her up by shedding weight on it that you don't need. It's a pretty bare-bones car as is, but if you wanna go nuts and shed weight while getting 300hp, then you can go that way. But if you still want to keep it as a DD, then I'm guessing you won't go too far with this by losing too much in luxuries. Things like taking out the A/C, lighter wheels and tires, any unsprung weight subtractions, carbon fiber parts swaps, etc.
Driving without the roof for an Exige isn't bad. It will restrict the airflow being that you're taking away the air channel scoop. Not harmful, but will be derated a little, so to speak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Exige first sold in the US in '06 in naturally aspirated form at 190hp. 2007 started the S which were factory supercharged at 220hp (correct?). You can check out the Exige Wikipedia page too, its quite helpful
KK, thanks bro! yeah, im looking for a 240 so i can bump it up to 300 horses
rotfl:nanner:rotfl

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry about the stats on the Z06 thing, hp to weight on that is 6.3hp/lb, the '06 Exige is more like 10hp/lb (which is worse). However the Z06 lateral G capabilities are more like 0.98G compared to the Exige 1.1G

A 2000 pound car with 240hp is 8.3hp/lb, 300hp is 6.6hp/lb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry about the stats on the Z06 thing, hp to weight on that is 6.3hp/lb, the '06 Exige is more like 10hp/lb (which is worse). However the Z06 lateral G capabilities are more like 0.98G compared to the Exige 1.1G

A 2000 pound car with 240hp is 8.3hp/lb, 300hp is 6.6hp/lb
kk, thanks! cause i am debating the z06 or the exige! there around the same price range so... ughhh!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
lol its cool! whats the 0-60 time on these?
If 0-60 is one of your major wishes...go another route.

Stock S240 you can probably get low 4's. But you have to flog it to do it, sidestepping the clutch at redline. These cars simply are not built for that kind of stress.

Get the car to 300hp, and you get below 4. A couple of times. Then something will need to be fixed. Something expensive.

If you want to 'race' off the line. Go with the ZO6. You can do launches all day long and not hurt anything except the tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If 0-60 is one of your major wishes...go another route.

Stock S240 you can probably get low 4's. But you have to flog it to do it, sidestepping the clutch at redline. These cars simply are not built for that kind of stress.

Get the car to 300hp, and you get below 4. A couple of times. Then something will need to be fixed. Something expensive.

If you want to 'race' off the line. Go with the ZO6. You can do launches all day long and not hurt anything except the tires.
OH WHATT!!! doesnt it have launch control?

see, the only thing holding me back from getting a vette is that its a v8

and thats not suitable for la driving. im not gonna be going to the drag strip anytime... i was just wondering, i thought theses cars liked high rev's?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
you need to buy a Camaro.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts