The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Both covers come from Lotus UK .
Sorry don't know the part numbers but if you look on the post I have shown a contact email in the UK
Here in NZ I spend a lot of time chasing Porsche 996 and the later 997s , also have a couple LS7 powered Miatas that are very competitive.
I put off installing a full cage , but recently saw and open top car with only a hoop roll over ... it wasn't pretty ..so decision made .
S

Being an east coast 2-11er, I do not get to hang out with all of you guys! I have to race silly old BMWs and Ariel Atoms instead of my beloved 2-11.
Although I do take it to VIR club days every so often.
I agree with all of the above of course. I have debated about full cage but have wanted to keep my 2-11 as close to OEM in appearance as possible.
By the way, where did you get that awesome 2-11 cover?

Thanks, Barry. That's helpful, particularly the info about aftermarket body panels and repairability. And one hell of a post considering you did it on a mobile device!

Question, though: what kind of rain cover did Lotus supply to go over the cockpit? Would it stay on with the car being towed or is it just for stationary use?

Andy
Sorry didn't answer your query .. yes I tow with it in place and no problem .
It is very securely attached and also Velcro's around the centre mounted rear view mirror.

Great Analogy ... "secret society for the insane"
You do have to be careful , it does does start to take over .
I started with and Aerial Atom with Rover K engine ... It was the 3rd car produced by Aerial and had so many problems and was so slow it only lasted 6 months , traded in for a 2005 Exige 2ZZ NA and the modifications and track time started from there .
Have had the 211 for 5 years and have just about completed a full upgrade Including Rev400 with Front Hex / Dry Sump / Quaife Sequential / Full Roll cage /Braid Wheels / Dunlop slicks / and also looking to go with EP uprights and Penske shocks .
Have left the engine stock at present but looking to have BOE build up something special for the folowing seson
Hope to start testing next month and be back on the track for our coming summer season [ Winter in NZ now]
What am I a hoping to achieve ... a reduction of 3 seconds per lap !!!
Heres an pic of the Engine bay ... in mocked up form .. need to take some more pics .
Looks good, Barry.

Will you be using the stock ECU with Fastworks tuning software?

Yes Stock ECU with the Fast works tune from Phil .
And will continue with Fast works for new engine , and hopefully Phil will have done the software by then for the Sequential Flat Upshifts and clutchless downshifts.
Are you using Fastworks ?

Yes, and we got some great results with the MP62 and a "built" (for reliability) motor with Stage 3 cams. I just hope the tranny lasts for awhile. :)
Did you gain much with the Fast Works tune ?

Looking to go with a very similar engine setup to what Phil uses , he is getting good results and reliability , so no point reinventing the wheel. Sure it will keep me on my toes .

I had 3rd gear let go , but that was after a 4K track miles .
I was keen to replace even if it hadn't blown as always felt it let the whole car down.

Did you gain much with the Fast Works tune ?

Looking to go with a very similar engine setup to what Phil uses , he is getting good results and reliability , so no point reinventing the wheel. Sure it will keep me on my toes .

I had 3rd gear let go , but that was after a 4K track miles .
I was keen to replace even if it hadn't blown as always felt it let the whole car down.
Yes, a significant gain (we did go with the ITG larger intake and larger injectors) .... the results even surprised Phil. Also, running a bit more boost with the MP62 to compensate for the cams. Phil did a great job on the tune.

Tranny had already been beefed up with the stronger 3rd and 4th gear. Still, with the torque increase down low, the tranny is the weak link in the reliability chain. Waiting to get more anecdotal evidence on how robust the quaife sequential proves to be. The Elise Parts sequential appears to be the real deal but very pricey.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Hi all,

I'm still around and interested in joining the insanity, but I've been away from the forum for a couple of days -- I had to drive to Sun Valley, Idaho so I could meet Greg Weld, see his 211 and get a tour of his amazing shop and toter. I am toterly jealous.

Andy

PS: Actually, my meeting Greg in SV was purely happenstance. In exchanging emails we learned that we each own homes here, and would be in town at the same time. Small world.

RE: Andy

The hook has been set!!

Hey Jack.... Thanks with the help on the SmartyCam set up today. Saved me some time poking around - and - it's always good to blab with you!

Jack
Looks like the pressure is on for the sequential install !!

Was your tune done "remotely" or did you have it up on Phils Dyno ?
Yes, the sequential would open the door to a bit more power and faster lap times. I can see that with the Radical ... auto-blip and flat-shift almost make it too easy, but I digress. Still, I have to say there is some satisfaction to rowing through the gears yourself and nailing those perfect heel/toe downshifts on occasion. ;)

Phil did do the tuning remotely using the Fastworks Level 2 ECU editor. My car was on the dyno in Nevada and Phil was in Kansas viewing the data remotely thru my computer. We'd send him the dyno files after a pull, he'd work his magic tweaking "PIDs" and downloading any changes to my ECU and all the while we would be in direct phone contact.... pretty cool. :clap:

It was a very efficient process. It did not take us long to achieve our target numbers. In fact, we exceeded them. Being more than satisfied with 319 RWHP and 204 TQ with safe A/F ratios, we stopped there. Phil did a great job!:bow:

More important than the peak numbers is what we got under the curve..... great torque down low for a stock 2ZZ motor using the MP62. Could we have eked out a bit more power with more tuning/dyno time? Sure, but we were already at HP/TQ numbers that would be taxing even my slightly beefed-up C60 tranny. We'll see how long it lasts.... fingers crossed.

I've been running the car with its new-found power since April, and, so far, I'm very pleased with car's performance. As you would expect, I've seen some significant improvement in my lap times but increased power will usually help with that. ;) As has always been the case, I'm the one playing catch-up -- need to modify the "loose nut" behind the wheel to fully exploit the car's potential.

Jack- thanks!

It certainly can work quite smoothly with the right equipment. We had a good internet connection, a dyno jet, and fresh 02 plumbed into the exhaust. I was linked in to the ECU and literally live tuning the ECU while Brent pushed the pedal down. Data was provided to me in two ways: 1) my software recorded the engine parameters live, which I could see on my PC obviously and 2) they sent me screen shots of the dyno pulls. Since I was remoted in via temviewer and live tuning, we didn't even have to shut the car down. I would just make changes to the ECU from 2000 miles away and ask Brent to hit the gas again--- Rinse, repeat, and do again. Wasn't too long before we had a darn fine running car.

Jack, you should really need to post up the plot we came to.

Cheers!

Phil

Jack, you should really need to post up the plot we came to.

Cheers!

Phil
Phil, shouldn't you be the one to post up the dyno graph? After all, it was your tuning magic that made it happen....and it only took 4 pulls. :bow: :bow:

Gotta tell ya --- The Yokohama A005's were just the ticket this weekend at Sonoma! They work GREAT! *think Tony the Tiger here*

What a blast these little rockets are!

I broke the motor in the Mustang - again - so ran 3 sessions in the Lotus. Thinking maybe I should upgrade the Tony Oddo motor in the Mustang to a TRD Truck motor.... like this one at the shop where the Mustang is now.... LOL

Andy --- Here's a quicky from Sonoma Shelby Mini Nats.... You NEED ONE OF THESE!!!!

This ain't Andy or Jack.... but it's sure a lot of fun at a track day!!

That's a ZR 1 at the beginning.... They don't pull over and let you pass!

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Thanks, for the vid, Greg. Looks like those Mustangs don't let you by either. :)

I'm about to sign up for NorCal at Thunderhill on Oct. 18-19. I'm assuming you'll be there.

I don't have a 211 yet, but Jack has been helping me figure things out. Looks like I may have to make a road trip down to CA to check out a couple.

cheers, Andy

Yes, a significant gain (we did go with the ITG larger intake and larger injectors) .... the results even surprised Phil. Also, running a bit more boost with the MP62 to compensate for the cams. Phil did a great job on the tune.

Tranny had already been beefed up with the stronger 3rd and 4th gear. Still, with the torque increase down low, the tranny is the weak link in the reliability chain. Waiting to get more anecdotal evidence on how robust the quaife sequential proves to be. The Elise Parts sequential appears to be the real deal but very pricey.
What differential would you use with the Eliseparts sequential?
What diff would you use with a standard c64 for aggressive street and track?

I currently have the OS-Giken LSD and am very pleased, but I've heard the TRD helical is better. Any thoughts?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.