The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To All Concerned:

I just got off the phone with Doug at Newport European, and he had the following to say:

1. Cars 1-9 have been delivered. (or was it Vin Numbered?) (I didn't pay much attention because it didn't concern me)

2. Cars 10 & 11 are awaiting Vin Number/Build Numbers which should come any day now with the rest of us to follow.

3. I am now 13 spots behind on the list. This is especially encouraging given that initially I was told in writing and otherwise that I was #29. 11+13 makes 24. I suspect that some customers have dropped off the list for one reason or another.

4. I was told to expect delivery sometime late November or early December. I specifically clarified this November/December date as delivery and NOT the date when I finally get a Vin/Build Number.

5. Lotus had just asked NE to spec out the Third Batch.

For those of you ahead of me on the list, can you please keep me posted as to if and when your Vin/Build Numbers have become allocated? I came extremely close to purchase the Demo at Symbolic in La Jolla this weekend. Then I was reminded that it was Aubergine. (No offense to the Aubergine members)

Here's to a potentially Merry Christmas.

- dechien

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
thanks for this update. I'm sure DE is close behind. I'll call Pat tomorrow to ask about third batch orders. I'm still not sure what color I want but I'll have 30 days to change it.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
shay2nak said:
thanks for this update. I'm sure DE is close behind. I'll call Pat tomorrow to ask about third batch orders. I'm still not sure what color I want but I'll have 30 days to change it.
It says you want Chrome Orange in your sig;)

What are you thinking now?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Patricko said:
It says you want Chrome Orange in your sig;)

What are you thinking now?
i don't know, there's a slim chance I'd switch to ST. After seeing Steve W's car it grew on me a bit. My parents liked it a lot also. My first choice, GG, I've never really seen so I'm not going to get it.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
shay2nak said:
i don't know, there's a slim chance I'd switch to ST. After seeing Steve W's car it grew on me a bit. My parents liked it a lot also. My first choice, GG, I've never really seen so I'm not going to get it.
Mine is ST and I like it, but I think the Elise looks good in any color.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I got the call from Doug at NE while I was in Ukraine. Thankfully he called again today. I went down to NE and spec'd out my car and signed the papers:

Bordeaux Red Pearl
Biscuit Interior
Touring Package
Starshield
No LSS

I decided against the LSS even though I thought that I really wanted it. The reason? Most people said that the handling is pretty equal up to 80 or 90%, then you'll realize the advantage of the LSS suspension. Since I plan to mainly tour and do fun excursions (such as the Julian run or the Temecula Run that Shinoo arranged) and the occassional autocross, it didn't make sense for me to buy the LSS.

I did call Galpin since I have a deposit there also. But since they're currently in a state of limbo, Joe (who was most gracious and honest) thought it would be in my best interest to place the order with NE since it would be a guaranteed car... something that Joe can't promise right now.

Bob

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Hi Bob

finally!! :clap: you must be relieved that you've finally spec'd your car.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks Shay2nak... I'm a bit relieved to finally place an order, but I'm a bit tortured since I'm still going back-and-forth over the LSS option. Another forum member has generously offered to take me for a ride in an LSS equipped car... and I might take him up on that offer. Just like Roseann Roseanna Danna said, "If it's not one thing, it's another..." :rolleyes: :p

Bob

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I also placed my order today at NE: Ardent...no options.

I had originally planned to get the Touring package and hardtop, but after passing on the opportunity to order in the second batch in March, I discovered that the hardtop was not really appropriate for me. I just know, the first time I took it off, it would stay off. I didn't, originally, understand the time and effort it takes to take it off and put it back on. With the weather here, almost any day could be an open top day.

I had also planned on the Touring package because the base seats in the LA show cars looked stupid (gorilla costumes) and I would have chosen Biscuit because I don't want black leather in an open top car in the sun here. However, I'm not as concerned about the black cloth...and black goes equally well with the Ardent and all the other black trim on the car. My current car has a leather interior with Ecsaine where the Elise has cloth and I like that. It is more comfortable and less slippery than leather there.

I also didn't opt for the Starshield. I don't really think it will be necessary for the driving I do. I've only ever had one stone chip on a car. I might have some of the 3M film put on the rocker panels and behind the rear wheels. I'll determine that later.

However, I did spend about two hours immediately prior to placing the order checking out the C6 Vette again. It was a tough choice for me. The price was almost dead equal and the wait for delivery about equal. If one properly configured had been available, on the lot, it might have come out differently. I guess I'll never know. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NE Orders?

Bob and ChrisB:

Thanks for the update. That's great news for everyone that you guys were finally able to spec out your order. It's also consistent with what Doug told me earlier this week, which reassures my faith somewhat in Lotus. I guess Lotus is finally getting a move on with the ordering process.

Did they happen to have mentioned any type of ETA for you guys? What numbers were you given? And do either of you know how many were asked to order in this Third Batch?

Chris B, I understand what you mean about the hard top in Southern California. I ordered it, but for all the wrong reasons. Randy stated in a prior post that the noise in the cockpit, due to resonance from the engine will actually be greater with the hard top. I was wrongfully assuming that with the hard top it'll cut down on the wind noise and outside noises, but never thought of the resonance inside the cockpit. Anyway, I did get the touring package, and according to Randy the extra insulation on the soft top will produce the most quiet setting.

But who are we kidding? The top will be off most of the year with the exception of the 10 days that it rains in April.

- dechien

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Re: NE Orders?

dechien said:
Bob and ChrisB:

Thanks for the update. That's great news for everyone that you guys were finally able to spec out your order. It's also consistent with what Doug told me earlier this week, which reassures my faith somewhat in Lotus. I guess Lotus is finally getting a move on with the ordering process.

Did they happen to have mentioned any type of ETA for you guys? What numbers were you given? And do either of you know how many were asked to order in this Third Batch?

Chris B, I understand what you mean about the hard top in Southern California. I ordered it, but for all the wrong reasons. Randy stated in a prior post that the noise in the cockpit, due to resonance from the engine will actually be greater with the hard top. I was wrongfully assuming that with the hard top it'll cut down on the wind noise and outside noises, but never thought of the resonance inside the cockpit. Anyway, I did get the touring package, and according to Randy the extra insulation on the soft top will produce the most quiet setting.

But who are we kidding? The top will be off most of the year with the exception of the 10 days that it rains in April.

- dechien
I was told they were processing 15 orders in this batch. Andrew estimated (admittedly, really guessing), that these cars would probably be arriving in late spring / early summer.

I assume factors making this a wild guess are that allocations could change (my assumptions, not anything Andrew said):

1. How long can the Esprit sales determine Elise allocations?
2. What is LCU going to do about the LA market situation with both Symbolic (BH) and Galpin in limbo?
3. And what affect will the the second shift and the timing of it have?

He did say, based on what he knows from LCU at this time, that he expects all of the first 30 to be delivered by the end of January or, possibly, February.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Interesting, ChrisB! Doug told me that they were spec'ing 5 cars in this batch and that I should expect the car to be delivered by February '05.

Considering this is the 3rd batch... I'd say what Andrew told you (15 cars) is probably more appropriate. Maybe 10 people already had their orders in but they weren't submitted? And that's why Doug told me that there were 5 cars being spec'd (mine being one of them?)

As for delivery times... I'm going out on a limb and taking a SWAG (Scientific Wild Arse Guess) and saying that NE will deliver 5 cars a month. So this third batch will be 3 months worth of deliveries for them.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts