The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from Newport European. Dana, a salesman there, told me that their Starlight Black "Demo" is for sale at $67,000.00! Other than that depressing point, seeing the car in person has certainly recharged me for the remaining wait. The stage 2 exhaust sounds and looks incredible. It definitely looks more integrated with the diffuser than the stock exhaust and Newport European seems to have done an excellent job with installation. Dana also said that the stage 2 exhaust costs about $1500, takes 4-5 hours for the install, and adds about 5 HP to total output. I seem to recall reading a thread somewhere that stated none of the exhausts add additional HP, but rather any performance gain is through a reduction in weight? Also, I noticed the starshield on the car has a number of bubbles in it. I would've taken pictures for you guys, but my buddy is borrowing my digital camera. I know pictures have already been posted of their Starlight Black Demo, but I figure you guys can never get enough. I'll try to get some pictures and a recording of the exhaust note soon.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
call em and tell them that my 2000 black on black mr2 spyder can be theirs for $93,250.

and if you can get that exhaust note when it is screaming it would be very interesting

·
Registered
970 Posts
Balance said:
I just got back from Newport European. Dana, a salesman there, told me that their Starlight Black "Demo" is for sale at $67,000.00! Other than that depressing point, seeing the car in person has certainly recharged me for the remaining wait. The stage 2 exhaust sounds and looks incredible. It definitely looks more integrated with the diffuser than the stock exhaust and Newport European seems to have done an excellent job with installation. Dana also said that the stage 2 exhaust costs about $1500, takes 4-5 hours for the install, and adds about 5 HP to total output. I seem to recall reading a thread somewhere that stated none of the exhausts add additional HP, but rather any performance gain is through a reduction in weight? Also, I noticed the starshield on the car has a number of bubbles in it. I would've taken pictures for you guys, but my buddy is borrowing my digital camera. I know pictures have already been posted of their Starlight Black Demo, but I figure you guys can never get enough. I'll try to get some pictures and a recording of the exhaust note soon.

that is truly shameful...67,000????...I thought the st I/II exhaust was 700-800.00....probably is...:)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
What on earth are the guys at Newport smoking?????

$67K and selling an exhaust for $1500, wow. Don't see that demo leaving there anytime soon.
Chris

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
If the $1500 included the labor charge for exhaust installation, that may not be so unreasonable.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Dont see how it could take 5 hours, the pipe is right there once you remove the heat shield and undertray, it doesn't replace the header. But then I haven't tried it.

Chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
Drove the car on friday... They said 8k over sticker and I would have to wait 90 days before I could pick up the car.

Dana is a nice guy. I think its the dealership that is pushing him.

PA

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
$67K?!? I just don't know what to say... :no: :no: :no:

Besides, they aren't *supposed to sell the demo for 90 days.

(edit: I see someone has test driven the car, so I've updated my post.) Who are they allowing to test drive it?

Bob

·
Registered
970 Posts
MattG said:
If the $1500 included the labor charge for exhaust installation, that may not be so unreasonable.

most places charge you 50.00 to 100.00 for exhaust install.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Most cars don't require removal and modification of the undertray...

I'd love to hear how long that really takes. It does seem from the pics that they did a nice clean job cutting the diffuser for the larger pipes.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
Most cars don't require removal and modification of the undertray...

I'd love to hear how long that really takes. It does seem from the pics that they did a nice clean job cutting the diffuser for the larger pipes.

now how long could that possibly take?....since the exhaust costs 700.00 or so, you think 800.00 in labor is fair?...ok, you can pay it then...:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Surprised?

Look who is working on your car! These are the same dealers/techs that work on exotics like Ferrari's & Lambo's and charge $7K+ for 30K maintenance. They have you by the ballz unless you want to work on the car yourself or trust someone else who has not been trained on the Elise to do the job.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
LOL...$50-100 labor for an Elise exhaust? I wish. Naw, I'm guessing two hours labor charge, though one is probably more fair. Figure $125 per hour (guessing there, but it'll probably be over $100). So, ~$250 labor. If the normal exhaust price is $700, some dealers will mark it up, $1k for the exhaust would not be shocking (though I certainly wouldn't pay it!). Doesn't quite add up to $1500, but starts getting close.

I'm not saying it's a good deal, just that the number may be true.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Oops...forgot for a minute there, the undertray must be trimmed to accomodate the Stage II exhaust (I'm not sure if stage 1 requires this). This could easily take 1-2 hours for a clean, good looking trim job.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Tin snips? That diffuser looks pretty thick from what I remember.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I would use a dremel.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Well, if it's thin, maybe use a nibbler then?

Here's an image someone else took at Monterey recently. It looks like some sort of rotary grinder was used.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I suppose the cleanest would be either water jet or laser cutting.

But for the DIYer... Matt's suggestion of using a nibbler would work perfect for the rough cut and then using a Dremel with a sanding or filing bit/drum for the finish.

That photo from Monterey looks like a tin snip job! :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts