The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at Morgans lately. Beautiful cars that I have fallen in love with. No, I'm not buying one any time soon for those wondering.

But anyways...I checked out the corporate website and read that the Aero 8 'Americas' (the ones sold here) will come with automatic gearboxes with their BMW V8.

I couldn't believe it. It had to be an option only, right?

I called my local dealership and found out that ALL new Aero 8s from the summer of next year will be delivered with the automatic gearbox....

Personally, this upsets me. What is the rationale? This is a British sports car, right? Morgan could simply sell it as an expensive ($5000+) option if they needed.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I being unreasonable?

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is disapointing.

Not that I am in the market for one currently, but an auto only would be a deal braker for what is primarily a toy. I don't think you are being unreasonible Bavarian.

So does that mean that they just can not be had in a stick, or just that you have to order one to get a stick, and wait 8 months for it to arrive?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I had nothing to do with the decision :sad:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is disapointing.

Not that I am in the market for one currently, but an auto only would be a deal braker for what is primarily a toy. I don't think you are being unreasonible Bavarian.

So does that mean that they just can not be had in a stick, or just that you have to order one to get a stick, and wait 8 months for it to arrive?

I imagine that virtually all of the cars are special orders, save for a mere few for dealership showcasing, since Morgan sells very few cars and dealers wouldn't be able to afford keeping such low volume cars on the lot.

My dealership actually has ONE new in stock with the six-speed..

I suppose the worst possible scenario is that you can upgrade to a manual transmission but I can't imagine the labor associated with that, just that the parts are readily available...

I had nothing to do with the decision :sad:

I'm gonna blame you anyways :p

·
Registered
431 Posts
No, I'm not buying one any time soon for those wondering.

Personally, this upsets me. What is the rationale?

Well, since you're not buying one anytime soon, there's really no reason to be personally upset and besides, if and when you decide to purchase one, I'm sure by then it will be available in a manual.

BTW, nice looking car :drool:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I say "soon", I mean not in the next two years, by which time the new Aero 8 will be out (summer of '09)

So it will affect me when I decide to buy. Who knows? I may luck out and simply not enjoy the car, but somehow I doubt that :D I'm visiting the dealership sometime this week and will take pictures.

My next choice would be a Spyker C8 spyder but that's almost double the price. Yes, I like to be different.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
And it has an Aston Martin steering wheel!
And New Beetle headlights. So weird to see them in such a different looking car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been looking at Morgans lately. Beautiful cars that I have fallen in love with. No, I'm not buying one any time soon for those wondering.

But anyways...I checked out the corporate website and read that the Aero 8 'Americas' (the ones sold here) will come with automatic gearboxes with their BMW V8.

I called my local dealership and found out that ALL new Aero 8s from the summer of next year will be delivered with the automatic gearbox....

Personally, this upsets me. What is the rationale? This is a British sports car, right? Morgan could simply sell it as an expensive ($5000+) option if they needed.

I'm sure they know their market better than we do. If a small manufacturer such as Morgan has made the decision to only offer automatic gearboxes then I have no doubt in my mind that their catering to their specific demographic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Or trying to cut costs........
Well its in the same sentiment to cut costs and cater to your demographic if a statistically significant portion of your sales were autos as opposed to manuals when both were offered. One way to tell would be to ask the dealer with the 6-speed how long they have had that particular car.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well its in the same sentiment to cut costs and cater to your demographic if a statistically significant portion of your sales were autos as opposed to manuals when both were offered. One way to tell would be to ask the dealer with the 6-speed how long they have had that particular car.
Yes, I intend to ask them all of those questions including their opinion on the automatics tomorrow or sometime this week.

Mike it wasn't an Aero 8, but did you notice the Morgan we passed yesterday in Kent?

Absolutely. It was gorgeous!!! What was that funky blue classic car that was going 30mph and holding us all up? :)

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
And New Beetle headlights. So weird to see them in such a different looking car.
Actually, last year Morgan switched to using the new Mini's headlights because they don't give the Aero8 that cross-eyed look.

·
Registered
685 Posts

No, you're not unreasonable. You and I probably share same sentiment wrt to 2-seater sports cars. Anytime a model is available in AT, it's off my list. Many potential models were eliminated as a result of my manual-only 'snobbery' - NSX, Z8, etc.

I like the Morgan's too.

Only manual-only breeds I can think of are - S2K and Lotus Exige/Elise (ignoring Detroit irons)

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I am pretty much an "only-manual" kind of guy. Would I consider any other type of gearbox? No, probably not, the added weight being one of the many factors.

The only exception would be that F1 looking car...can't remember the name...Cap- something... CAPARO! Caparo T1 :D

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i thought it was a red Morgan parked on the side of the road as we drove though that town center.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I almost bought an 07 and am hemming and hawing about an 05.

I think, much like the BMW Z8 alpina, that it is just a matter of practiciality that "this year" is the year you can buy only an auto.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts