The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked with my FOD salesman who attended the Lotus launch.

He was very impressed with both the standard and sport pack models. They were able to drive on the racetrack as well as autox course. He didn't detect any wheel lifting on the autox course in the std. model. Timed laps on the track revealed the Elise was 4 sec. faster than a C2 Porsche. He said the car exceeded his expectations.

Ingress/egress was quite a chore, as we've been told.

Jeff

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
was the base model or the LSS 4 sec faster than the porsche?
thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
4 sec? we need more details! that's potentially a huge difference.

and is the LSS as rough on passengers as indicated, or can it be used for "normal' activities (i.e. scaring others off the highway...)?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
4 sec is big. As for the LSS comparison in comfort, i thought i read something on one of the related posts for this event that it wasn't that bad. can someone back me up on this?

thanks!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
shay2nak said:
4 sec is big. As for the LSS comparison in comfort, i thought i read something on one of the related posts for this event that it wasn't that bad. can someone back me up on this?

thanks!
Yeah, "wasn't that bad", HA! Thats on a silky smooth road course. The comparisons from LSS to standard have no true value to street driving.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I suspected that it would be difficult to evaluate the ride quality of each of the cars, because the track is indeed so smooth. You can evaluate the stiffness of the shocks in some sense, but it's hard to guess how they will perform on a bumpy road. This was confirmed by a post on mason's site. BTW, what kind of scaring can you do with an Elise on the freeway? Most serious cars have more straight line go.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shay2nak said:

thanks!
Salesman couldn't answer this question because the surfaces were smooth.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
shay2nak said:
was the base model or the LSS 4 sec faster than the porsche?
thanks!
There is no base model... There is only one model Elise so far for the USA.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
he means.... was it the base model as in standard suspension or was it the upgraded model as in LSS suspension.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pittsburgh and LSS

We have similar cow nests here in Boston, so I can emphasize. However, even in a Land Rover Disco (not quite an Elise in the handling dept), I manage to avoid potholes. At least for me, the whole reason for getting one of the best handling cars on the planet is to drive around things (curves, double-parked cars, potholes, the elderly, etc.). In such cases, whether u r driving a regular or LSS Elise, I don't think it'll make all that much difference. If you can't brake or dodge to avoid it, you're going to be one sorry camper no matter what you are driving, even such a beautiful, plush car as the one shown in the picture <G> I'm more worried about expansion joints, broken twigs, and dead insects on the roadway jarring loose all my fillings if I get the LSS.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Re: Pittsburgh and LSS

SportzNoShr said:
We have similar cow nests here in Boston, so I can emphasize. However, even in a Land Rover Disco (not quite an Elise in the handling dept), I manage to avoid potholes. At least for me, the whole reason for getting one of the best handling cars on the planet is to drive around things (curves, double-parked cars, potholes, the elderly, etc.). In such cases, whether u r driving a regular or LSS Elise, I don't think it'll make all that much difference. If you can't brake or dodge to avoid it, you're going to be one sorry camper no matter what you are driving, even such a beautiful, plush car as the one shown in the picture <G> I'm more worried about expansion joints, broken twigs, and dead insects on the roadway jarring loose all my fillings if I get the LSS.
That's not my car. I drive a Jeep Wrangler and can drive over potholes like that all day without issue. Hopefully they will have most of the big potholes filled in time for summer but that usually just creates lots of bumps on the road unless they do it right:rolleyes:
The sad truth is, sometime it is just impossible to avoid bad roads in Pittsburgh. Not to mention all the brick roads they have here... Why in 2004 do they still have brick roads here:confused:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI All,
Here's a report from Eric of Lotus Atlanta on his experience at Barber.

Chris

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I just got back from the dealer launch and I am really excited to tell you that both the Elise and the event were phenomenal. Lotus Group USA has really decided to do this introduction the right way and the whole experience did the fantastic Elise great justice. If you have not had a chance to visit the facility at the Barber Motorsports Park and vintage Motorsports Museum they both far outweighed my imagination. I was not aware that George Barber owns the largest collection of vintage Lotus Street and racing cars in North America. When perusing the museum we had the opportunity to see quite a few of his classic Lotus vehicles as they were displayed in the museum. Everyone who is scheduled to attend the LOG this year is in for a real treat. If you have not made plans to attend I would highly recommend it.

As I had a brief opportunity to drive the Elise a few months ago, I already knew firsthand that it was a very special car. Now that I have had the opportunity to drive the car with some professional direction on the track and autocross my mind is truly boggled by the vehicles performance – the car is just amazing. I am not a well versed driver, as this was only the second time that I have attended a track or autocross event. The Elise is so wonderful that although everyone watching me probably knew I had no clue, I felt like I knew what I was doing and wanted to do nothing else. Zack our local Lotus racer took me on my second autocross drive and gave me enough pointers to really allow me to have a great time even as I took out a large number of cones. During our experience on the track a rain shower blew in. The rain did not deter the instructors and we had the opportunity to drive the cars on the track in the rain – they performed as brilliantly as on the dry surface. In addition to the performance thrill, the rain prompted me to experience the Elise with the soft top on. At 6.2” I thought it might be a challenge. I was somewhat surprised to determine that I felt just as comfortable in the car with the top on as I had with it off. Driving the car on my own was a thrill but after taking a few hot laps with a professional driver I really understood why Road & Track called the Elise “the purest sports car on the planet.” I really thought that I was driving the car at the brink of it’s limits – when driving with a professional driver I quickly realized just how wrong I was. The Elise is amazing in every performance sense now all I need to do is learn to drive; Zack said he could help me with that.

We were given a glimpse into a few accessories that Lotus has in store for Elise owners and many of them will really improve the whole Elise ownership experience. They showed us the Hard Top storage unit that can be mounted to your garage wall for easy and safe storage, I know you will want one of these handy units. As we get details I will let you know about more of the clever accessories the folks at Lotus have in store for us all.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here's a link to LOA

http://www.lotusofatlanta.com/

Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
the LSS comfort issue is a big question for many of us. Any way that you can get a stack of dealer tags and take a quick road trip with the LSS and Non-LSS models on some 'real' pavement?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Obviously, I cannot comment on the LSS set-up you will get in the US, but I can tell you that in the European spec it's more road than track-oriented: of course it's stiffer and lower than the stock one, but it's a matter of a a few cm...for serious track job you will need something more radical, such as spax, nitron or jrz (well, these are the main brands available in Europe).

You should also consider that it's largely adjustable.

In my opinion, the biggest concern about everyday use is represented by the 048s, as in cold climate and/or standing water they simply don't work...and they wear rapidly.

Last, but not least: I don't remember exactly, but I think you're paying about $2,500 for the whole pack, aren't you?
It's a bargain! I love the new style 7 spoke wheels, but I'm paying exactly the same money (or even more: about £1,450-1,500) for them alone...too bad!:( :( :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's why this track neophite is gettin' it!

Thanks for locking me on the LSS. I'm spending 40+. Another 2480~ and I've got something that my skills may never grow out of. If I do it aftermarket, like other rides there is tearing off the front to shoot a toe line (if body work ends up too low), alignment, caster, new wheels when and if you can find them, tires I'll go through like a fat kid goes through ice cream cones. But I bet a pair of rimstocks down the road will soak me for much more than a portion of 2480. I would rather have some "Well they are a close fit" rims for toolin' around the beach. Then when it's time to make my own autocross track at the local mall at 5:30 am any Sunday morning, just toss the double spokes and A048's on her the night before? Rough ride, this aint no Lincoln, standard suspension won't pamper us by any stretch. Like the guy that did the TOP GEAR video test drive, I'll just know whether I drove over a bug (standard suspension) or a bug that ..........has ...........yup six legs, two piece thorax! No more straight line speed for me........ I'm dedicated to driving schools and makin' all the tire noise happen once I'm goin' not when I get goin'!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a feeling that the reason Lotus are not doing a hard sell on LSS is that the LSS has more neutral handling (due to the wider front tyres) and so is more prone to oversteer at the limit. If you are on a track with plenty of runoff, fine. If you are on a freeway onramp showing off, not so fine.

Until I learn the limits of the car and myself I would rather know that if I screw up I'm less likely to kill myself. So I didn't go with LSS. But I like the wheels.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The US-spec LSS isn't adjustable from what I've heard.

Also - 95% people can't drive the base Elise at it's limit safely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts