The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All
I am hoping I can find someone (for a small fee) that is willing to accompany me to London Ontario to look at a 06 elise. I would want you to be able to give me a fair non biased report on a low KM car I am considering . Please let me know your experience when calling.

Gary723-8707
cell 416-

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Good Morning All
I am hoping I can find someone (for a small fee) that is willing to accompany me to London Ontario to look at a 06 elise. I would want you to be able to give me a fair non biased report on a low KM car I am considering . Please let me know your experience when calling.

Gary723-8707
cell 416-
I suggest you have the owner take it to the dealer with you in Toronto to have it checked out. Having a friend accompany you and give you some friendly advise re the state of the car is one thing but paying a stranger to give you this advise is something else. What happens if he/she tells you it looks good and it turns out to be a lemon? Not worth the $50 or whatever.

Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a question though for Canadians.. as for Elises go, I heard that certain cars are not allowed in Canada if there is substantial damage from a 5mph impact to the front bumper and we all know how expensive the front clam to repair is.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
What if whoever responds to this request is 'really' a friend of the seller? I'd go to the dealer with it........

.....and welcome!! :wave:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have a question though for Canadians.. as for Elises go, I heard that certain cars are not allowed in Canada if there is substantial damage from a 5mph impact to the front bumper and we all know how expensive the front clam to repair is.

Huh? Our Elises don't have bumpers just like US Elises. No US Elises are allowed in Canada but as far as I know this prohibition has nothing to do with our more stringent bumper laws (which I believe are changing or have recently changed) to the same as yours. Instead I think it is because Lotus has not provided the information to our authorities to allow them to determine what changes would need to be made to make them compliant. As far as I know the differences are minimal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What if whoever responds to this request is 'really' a friend of the seller? I'd go to the dealer with it........

.....and welcome!! :wave:
Trust me, I'm no friend of the seller, I tried buying this same car two years ago and didn't......
We're going to have a look at it on saturday and a agree that it should be taken to the Lotus dealer for inspection and ECU printout.

Tass

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
A few people told me Canadians didn't get the Evo8 and 9 because of that law do to damage $ amount received
I pulled this from a Cdn govt website explaining the reasoning behind recent amendments to Canada's bumper laws. Earlier Evo's did not meet the bumper speed criteria and I believe that changes to the turbo / engine set up were required to accommodate the beefed up bumper made compliance too expensive.

"Canada and the United States introduced safety standards for bumpers in the early 1970’s. When the Canadian and the United States safety standards were originally introduced, they were harmonized with a test speed of 5 mph (8 km/h) for front and rear impacts and 3 mph (4.8 km/h) for corner impact tests. However, in 1979, the United States added more stringent requirements that included cosmetic damage criteria, while maintaining the original test speeds and safety components damage protection requirements. In 1982, the United States reduced the test speeds to 2.5 mph (4 km/h) for front and rear impacts and 1.5 mph (2.4 km/h) for corner impacts, and maintained their cosmetic and safety damage requirements.

In 1983, when the Canadian government proposed an amendment to harmonize the test speeds with those of the United States (i.e., 4 and 2.4 km/h), many Canadian stakeholders, such as the public, provincial and territorial governments, media and the insurance industry, were against the proposed test speed reduction. As a result the harmonization of test speeds was not pursued; thus for the past 26 years Canada has had a unique higher speed bumper test requirement for passenger cars.

These higher test speeds have resulted in some vehicle models not being available to Canadian consumers. In addition, there have been some vehicles sold at the retail level in the United States that have been inadmissible for importation into Canada as they have not met the Canadian bumper requirements."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow im just thrilled with the speed of response to my email . Thank you all again. The gent that will join me actually suggested I take it to the dealer in TO and after I view it that will be the next step. I'll keep you posted ..

optimistic

G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.