The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
@Phil,
what mod's do you have from OEM?
When I read description in dyno you threw out the cat, have a CA intake and obviously the EFI. More stuff?
In other words, for less modded cars with just Katana or BWR: they might not be able to reach same #'s as you? Although you didn't max out the possibilies yet re timing etc.

Anyway, congrats!! Great innovation (again) you made for Lotus community!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
@Phil: so your motor is still OEM, not built or something like that?

They should make a kit (hint, hint) with this TVS blower indeed so that people who still don't have a SC and want to skip the MP62 stage can go directly to TVS not needing to pay for the MP62.
What the increase in cost of a TVS over a MP62?

Great job!

·
Registered
740 Posts
550cc's will hit a bit later, but i was able to keep the AFR's where they were wanted, but the DC was well into the 90s at 7000 RPM, limiting the RPM to 8200 basically made it ok, but the proper way to fix it is to add fuel volume, told em never to go below 3/4 of a tank, at that torque level you'll hit 90% DC much much earlier and it'll go lean, i could not get the fuelling below 12.8, then it rapidly leans out, which gives absolutely no margin for error.

low tank, long corner or fuel pickup problem and say buh bye, 550's need the 255 pump, you're at almost double the capacity for the pump at that cc.

someone mentioned to me about over voltaging the pump, thats a terrible idea too.
So basically this TVS and the VF stage II kit (per http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ercharger-kit-upgrade-testing-stage-ii-63844/) reach the limit of the stock fuel pump. That makes sense they are both making approx. the same power which apparently as far as you can go on the OEM fuel pump. Oh well... it s/b enough for most owners since I expect this to be FAST :crazyeyes

·
Registered
740 Posts
2. Yes. Clutch being #1. Valvesprings should be upgraded, but I would recommend that for anyone, stock or otherwise.
Valvespring upgrade = to prevent valve float at high revs?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a feeling that your definition of "average mechanical skills" and mine are very different. I would say that the person with average mechanical skills could tackle changing their brake pads and fluids, not installing a supercharger on a Lotus. :)

Yes did you see that endless wall of tools on that picture :crazyeyes that's enough to begin your own garage. If that's average then I'm the single most incompetent mechanical loser on this planet.

·
Registered
740 Posts
183 torque! WOW! This is just amazing, congrats!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have no plans to do a tune for this TVS setup, phil did ask but i declined.
That's too bad but understandable since you're already involved with the VF which will be a competitor if Phil releases the TVS kit.

It would've been exciting to see what you could've done with a TVS. :(

·
Registered
740 Posts
Its no different to if phil decides to stop playing with TVS's, or one of the other companies goes to a bigger market place, i've been doing this for about 3 years now, and have continued to expand and grow the tunes, i've equipped other tuners with my software so they can continue it on, and if i did stop altogether a few people have already approached me about buying the stuff off me lock stock and barrel, Now if you can continue to point out a flaw in that and tell me how i'm somehow different from anyone else involved in tuning , please do so.

Its not ego conflict, i just don't believe in the setup, or rather haven't been convinced its much better than the mp62, thats exactly what i told dave and phil when they asked me a while ago.

i've offered lots of alternatives, more than anyone so far, i've been involved in at least 6 kits for different companies, and many bespokes.

i also remain independant, i have no exclusives and can work with anyone i choose too.

Incidently i did a fair few tunes for BWR when PES couldn't do it, i've had plenty of tangles with them in the past and yet i still helped them out.

i think your points are unfair and invalid.

I do realise a lot of personal feelings get into all this , and i always knew that when i was intially being woo'd to tune this kit that when i turned it down, it'd end up in this sort of post, i think its fairly obvious from the tone of the post history where i turned it down, but its quite a simple reason, even after i turned it down i continued to offer experience on previous kits, such as the fuel pump. i did tell phil that i expected this sort of thing to go on and i'm sure it'll just get worse from now on, but its not really going to affect me any, its always the way of this sort of thing, you get used to it.
fair enough...we'll see if it's (much) better than the MP62 when the first results on an non EFI-TVS kit are published.
Except for the blower, the kit appears pretty similar to a Katana- or BWR-kit except for maybe the higher boost (don't know if it is decided what amount of boost will be used for non EFI-TVS kit).
So, adjusted for differences in TVS-kit boost vs Katana/BWR boost (can that be guesstimated with a formula) if any, if the TVS still shows significant higher #'s then that would be a nice confirmation for the assumption that the TVS is better than the MP62. My guess would be that it is.

·
Registered
740 Posts
its possible, but its currently at 13lbs according to what i saw posted, we don't go above 10lbs on the katanas, the stock internals won't take it for one, but we can comfortably make 280RWHP at less boost on the mp62.
The TVS run 9-10 psi though most of the run on the stock compression engine and peaks for a nano second at 11 at the cam change- I'll post a log for everyone later...The dyno pull that I posted at first and Dave's are with the 10ish psi pulley I just described. Do the ECR, and it's still well within reasonable levels for 91 gas.
So boost levels for TVS (9-10, max 11) are only a bit higher than Katana (?-?, max. 10) then? That would be impressive since the #'s for TVS are so much higher than the Katana. :eek:
Time to update my overview of superchargers to see how this will work out.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The twin screw that Fred (fzust) is running: is that the same as a TVS or is that an uber-TVS (for the Non-germans: better than TVS).

·
Registered
740 Posts
I must be missing something though, since i'm not seeing this big difference between the TVS and the katana HP wise, at those levels of boost we're well between 280RWHP and 300RWHP and before the inevitable, i haven't said the TVS sucks, or it can't be done and this that and the other, just that it didn't interest me.
I must be missing here something also:
Katana 220/140
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f171/new-flash-ronin-sc-2006-a-59847/
Dave 275/180 (even with the disadvantage of using the EFI which accordingly to some people sucks)
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1172595-post355.html
Again, assuming that the TVS flash will have equal power to the current EFI tune (i wouldn't know why that wouldn't be the case) and that boost levels are more or less equal between Katana and TVS.
Under my definition i would consider 55/40 a big difference.
And yes, the MP62 can make high 200's but not without some serious cooling,

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
@Phil
you dropped in you low compression Mahle in your NEW block right?
Because I've understood that in a used (let's say 10K miles like mine) block they may simply not drop in anymore.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hey Phil

if one had EXACTLY your setup re headers/air intake/low compr. etc.etc. with the only difference being having an '06 DBW Elise/Exige instead of an '05: do you assume your map will still work fine?
Maybe this is more of a [email protected] question?

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
The BOE TVS kit ordered, thank you Phil!!!.....A/W intercooler will be added by Intermecanica....let the fun begin...I hope to post dyno soon after I come back from vacation April 20.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Congrats !

What are you going to be using for an intake? The IC connection.
I'll see if i can make a picture of the Katana Elise who already has this A/W IC setup although i'm not sure when I'm going to be at my garage.
I remember the intercooler (the 'iron box') is on the driver side with a standard air filter cone attached to it, the pump is on passenger side. It will run on water, alcohol or combination of the two. Sorry, can't recall details anymore, it has been some weeks ago. If you want I can give you phone# / email of my garage who installed it on the other elise and will also install it on my Elise. He can tell you the details.

·
Registered
740 Posts
me likey

·
Registered
740 Posts
Jim,

What new clutch are you running? I was going to install the ACT XT/SS. I hope it won't be borderline. The XT/SS is supposed to be good for 280ft-pds.
I have the same XT-SS getting installed on my TVS setup (TVS installation is scheduled to start upcoming Mon), i think that s/b OK based on the ACT ft-lbs max. figures.

·
Registered
740 Posts
REV 400 installed

After it dried up after days of rain I finally had the chance to test my REV400 setup. More on that later.

A short introduction…

Before the REV400 I had a BOE TVS kit installed in Spring 2009, one of the first kits installed on a DBW Elise (I have a MY2006). More or less comparable to what now is REV300.
Literally two hours before I shipped my car for transport from the US back to the Netherlands in 2009 the TVS install was finalized. Because of damage to the wiring during transport, continuous lack of time on my side and the impracticality of being in the Netherlands while the EFI/TVS gurus are in the US I never got my car 100% running smoothly. I originally opted for BOE (instead of VF etc.) for the opportunity to upgrade, so I decided to indeed upgrade and solve my car issues at the same time.

REV400 items were shipped to my garage, install was finalized, Kold Fire tune was installed and I was ready to get back on the road last week. After waiting forever for a dry day I finally got the chance to go WOT.

I was expecting that the car would be a bit quicker. I was wrong. The car is a LOT quicker. Very responsive on the throttle also. I can’t wait to take my wife for a spin to make her aware what happens when you go WOT now. Which she will probably never do anymore after the demonstration. I have a BMW 335i with a tune which does around 370WHP/370 ft-lbs, it was more or less equal in acceleration to my Elise. Not anymore, my Elise is now in supercar territory.-eek-

I’m still on a first basic tune, so yesterday evening I was in the passenger seat while my mechanic was driving to check the AFRs. I now understand the reaction when I have somebody sitting in the passenger seat: the speed and acceleration is quite terrifying while in the passenger seat. Some tweaking of the basic tune is still to be done re AFRs, probably also some WHPs left to be found. That will take place later this month or next month, probably on the dyno. Will report back then.

Conclusion: I’m very happy with the REV400, happier than I ever was with my prior setup. Definitely recommended. Happy driving.:shift:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts