The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Disregard the above post I have found what you mean......

So who has the inlet manifold advantage then Sector, BWR, VF or Original Lotus S manifold?

Or are these all basically identical

Sector and BWR are designed for use without an intercooler. The VF and S are designed to work with an intercooler. Phil's current setup is for use without an intercooler. Different adapters would be required for intercooler use and several people have requested that.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
... Keep in mind an IC mp62 made a little more power/torque at around 1 lb less boost than the TVS...
Also keep in mind that Phil's car has significantly lowered CR. That alone will make a big difference in the torque. It also is not tuned for that lower CR, so it probably does not take advantage of the additional spark advance that might recover some of that lost torque. I would hazard a guess that the lower CR would result in a 10-15 ft/lb loss.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I dont think anyone is having a problem understanding that the TVS produces a cooler charge ... the heat building in the metal of the TVS supercharger will inevitably get fairly hot. How hot, I dont know...
I think the point here is that heat soak isn't a binary thing. It isn't either heat soaked, or not. The question (and the impact on performance and reliability) is how hot does it get? If the MP62 under specific load conditions heats the output air to 200 degrees, eventually, the SC and intake will get up to near that temperature and the air entering the engine will be about that temperature.

However, if the TVS only heats the output air, under those same conditions, to 150 degrees, then eventually the SC and intake will stabilize at near that temperature.

Both are "heat soaked", but the effect on performance is quite different (50 degrees different). The lower temperature heat soak will perform significantly better.

BTW, I'm just making up the temperatures for illustration...no argument over whether they are "correct" or not.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Phil, -poke-

Pardon my lack of knowledge. This kit may very well influence which model lotus I get! :shift:

So this kit and estimate on parts and cost is for an elise SC? Which cars is this kit going to be available for? I'm assuming if the car isn't blown to begin with, additional parts and hardware will be required?

If I were to put this on an I/C'd exige, would I keep the I/C? I guess its which is better, further dropped intake charge or the lack of pressure drop associated with an I/C.

Sorry for 20 questions :).
The kit Phil described in the post you quoted is an upgrade kit for those that have already installed the BWR or Katana aftermarket supercharger kits.

I'm not sure what parts would be required, beyond a BWR or Greddy intake manifold to install the kit on an NA car. The intercooled Exiges would require some different pieces to upgrade to the TVS. If you are acquiring a car, it wouldn't seem to make much sense to buy an Elise SC if your intention was to upgrade to the TVS. It would just be a waste of a lot of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.