The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Phil:
-What is the actual pulley size, is it the stock katana 3.4???
-What else was modded (exhaust, headers, cat, pistons, rods)? I see headers in your pics and decat CAI. I'd like results on an otherwise stock Elise. If I could get 30rwhp with this SC and a retune that'd be great.
-Will the actuator be placed on the proper side of the SC?

Depending on price, and if you get Charlie to tune your kit, count me as very highly/totally interested. I have absolutely no interest in going stand alone though. I hope your relations with Charlie are good because I don't think many would go for your SC option if it means buying/installing/tuning a stand alone kit.

Let me know.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Darth,

You do realize that the OEM ECU is from EFi Italia? The aftermarket EFi is from their US division. Not sure I understand why your excluding EFi US and ability to tune without costly reflashes? There are some differences, but conceptually the same -- toss in DRS latest firmware/software for EFI 1.2 Lotus and you now have a potent and very adjustable package. Of course tuning is not for the faint at heart -- I'm slowly getting to understand it more but have a long way to go. But when I get there it will be rewarding -- at least that is my hope (I should know within a couple of weeks).
I don't have anything against (or for) EFI. I had a TEC3 stand alone on my Miata and I never had the drivability that I have now with Charlie's reflash.

For those like me who like to drive and don't really care if I am really maxing out my set up, this reflash stuff by Charlie is perfect.

Could my Katana make more power with a stand alone? Yes
Could I attain better drivability/reliability without spending huge $$? No

If Phil gets around 245rwhp on a stock Katana with a Charlie Flash, I'm in!!
If Phil is short of 245rwhp or requires an EFI, I'm out. Simple as that for me.

I don't want to fiddle with stand alone anymore. If I'm to pay to change my Katana set up, it's gonna have to give more than 20rwhp. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Right now Charlie's 06 tune gives 225rwhp.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Darth- I understand where you're coming from... Whatever the final package ends up looking like from a tuning standpoint, it you don't make atleast 260 safe whp with this, you can have it for free...;):D :D :D
Quoted! :up:

Now we only need Charlie's magic and my check will be in the mail. :clap:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Darth,

Still not sure why you're out? I'm not out from a possible reflash from Charlie, I'm keeping all my options open, but I like to tinker with my car and it will be a constant changing/evolving work (as money permits). Trust me, I used to believe that I get a car, set it up and that's it....but that reality was no reality, it was my fantasy world as I keep tinkering :)

Seriously, can you run a winter tune, a summer tune, a fall tune, a spring tune, a 91 octane tune, a 96 octane tune, a 100 octane tune, a 112 leaded octane tune? I'm sure you can, but how many reflashes would that be and what if you just wanna switch on the fly?

Charlie's current solution (which he may open up in the future) is a better alternative if you plan to "stabilize" your car and not change it much. But I don't plan to do that.

Charlie $600 dyno tune? Not sure I follow you. My original dyno tune was around $500 from FF (lets not go there). But the ultimate dyno for me will be on the track, nothing emulates a track like actually being on a track. :) I need to gather some more knowledge over the next couple a weeks and drop my car off in SoCal and I hope to be free of dyno's after that point and armed with ability to do this myself.

Phil,

Well, 500 hp from it? What's the realistic max before it becomes inefficient?
I had a TEC3 stand alone ECU in my previous car, a turbo Miata. I know all the advantages of Stand Alone. But I also know all the pain in the ass problems, the hours of tuning, the agony of installing all that stuff, the problem to take it all off when it's time to sell because no one likes to buy stand alone equipped cars. I respect those who go down that road. But I did it and hated it.

You might like to tune/fiddle/play with your car with a laptop hooked to it. Me, I like to fill it up with gas and hit the track. At some point in my life I thought it'd be cool to fine tune my car. Now I know I'm not that type of guy.

Like I said nothing against EFI or TEC or MOTEC or whatever ECU you buy. It's just not my cup of tea.

So if I buy a CAI I won't see any gain? Well that's good news, I just saved myself a few bucks towards aero/suspension/brakes upgrade. At some point when you add 50-100rwhp to your car, does it really matter that you leave, let's say, 5rwhp (peak) because you don't add decat (or fine tuned)? To me it doesn't. And decat make your car smell like an '68 carburated Buick anyway. ;)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Only when tuned wrong would a decat smell like a 68 buick ;)
Yep that's why I prefer Charlie's stuff. My car smelled like a Buick and I had a cat! I wouldn't make a living with my tunes... rotfl

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have no plans to do a tune for this TVS setup, phil did ask but i declined.
:( :sad: :(

That's very sad because I don't want anyone but Charlie to play with my ECU.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Darth, you're cracking me -- don't know what you'll do if Charlie stops "playing" with ECUs - sell the car?
Well, Cx has proven many times over that he is the man. That's why Phil and Dave want him to tune the TVS. Don't you think?

If you're happy with other solutions, good for you. For me, only the best will do. And I don't need to sell the car, I already have a Cx tune on my Katana.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well, [email protected] clearly says he owns Vision Function engineering, so he didn't try to sway opinions with mis-representation like it happened to some other companies some time, long ago. I salute Mark's honesty for fully disclosing who he is.

I'll let you decide whether his post is relevant to this thread. Because really, I can't tell. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
BM, at times you sound like you're part of BOE.

I doubt you are and your half informed answers just confuse everything.

My 0,02can$. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Me and two friends with Katana dyno'ed at 190rwhp here on the same mustang dyno. About 10% down on dynojet.

So Phil, your set up is certainly pushing upwards of 300rwhp on a dyno jet.

Good job! :clap:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
PS- And yes, that was the end of the snifferrotfl... it was on its last leg anyway and I was using onboard wideband for tuning...:up:
Do you have a video of that flame thrower on the dyno?

I'd like to see (and hear) that!!!! :bow:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
but its just a lot easier to install (hell its lighter too).
Unless BOE has come up with a reflashed version of its kit, installing two pipes and an I/C is about a gazillion times easier than installing a stand alone ECU and tune it.

I'm just trying to get facts straight. I still don't know why I need to say this and why TVS happy customers keep on coming with this curious idea that installing an a/a I/C is a tough job... :confused:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes we have and/or will have flashes for all the variations...
Good to know Phil! It's about time you have something for us suckers that don't want to play with their laptops at the track! ;)

I bet it's gonna be a popular option!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts