The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Charlie's math is valid overall (but only if the values are static). I think the values are not 100% applicable (in all cases) b/c BSFC is a dynamic variable. I've monitored BSFC on SuperFlow engine dyno's with a plentiful of analysis tools and it is not a fixed value throughout the power band. Regardless, the BSFC of a turbo engine is not going to be the same as a SC engine, and/or NA engine.

As Rob stated...we need to see fuel pressure data (at the minimum)

I'd be curious to see an overlay of fuel pressure, Lambda ratio and the actual injector ms over RPM.

Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
I still would like to see the graphs with the fuel press, BSFC, Lambda, injection time, and peak torque.

Maybe soon I can generate them myself. I'm really curious.

I'm also not going to take a strong stand on either position. I agree that if the pump is relatively inexpensive than why not use it for piece of mind anyway, but at the same time I have personally not run into any limitations (yet) with the stock fuel system in engines that have produced over 350 Hp, repeatedly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dark,
Thanks for the first hand report.

EFI is very cool. I do think EFI should adjust their price point.

There are a lot of folks on the fence, all they need is a little incentive.
It's tough to lower the price of the EFI system without making some changes to how complete the kit is...we are exploring the possibility of making some changes to the kits wiring loom to lower cost, but nothing final as of yet.

Everyone must remember this stand-alone as a system is already less expensive than other brand ECUs alone.

Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
I personally think the EFI is worth every penny. I'm very happy with my extra HP and flexibility.

I just have the BWR group buy in my mind. The flood gates really opened when that was announced.

Just thinking out loud, I'm no expert, obviously.
This is exactly the feedback I want...Please keep it coming. If others out there would say they would commit to a purchase at X price my ears are listening. Now its just a matter of how many...volume = discount.

Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have some EFI questions before committing...

1. How does it affect emissions inspection, or OBD emissions testing, or whatever kind of testing is done at the time of inspection?

2. How difficult is it to install properly and un-install properly? Approximate labor time?

3. How difficult is it to tune?

That's all :eek:
It is relatively easy...key word is relatively. If you do not have any knowledge of how engines run i do not suggest tunign it yourself. Every system comes with a base map, but I always encourage people to share details about thier set up so we can better help them with the map. Maps for all the popular configurations are supported.

The software is intuitive and the layout is easy to navigate through. Here is a link to an article on our site that helps define some of the terminology DRS Engine Control Support

The main thing that separates this stand-alone from others is that the ECU is pre-configured for the application. This means all the sensors are calibrated, the firmware is calibrated to support the triggers on the engine, the drivers are set up for the coils, etc... Any other stand-alone requires all this to be figured out before you even think about actually tuning, and then once you are ready to actually tune the engine you are starting from scratch.

We made this system very easy to use relative to the type of product this is.

Feel free to email or PM me for more details.

thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
:eek: Are you serious? I just bought the Fidanza which is rated at a mere 200 lb-ft...
Not to take away further from the focus of this thread, but if anyone needs a serious clutch to compliment their TVS blower...check this out

It's overkill for most people, but it works great for the track junkie or dedicated race car.

We are offering these if anyone is interested. Specs and cost info will be on our web site soon.

Now back on topic...:)

Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dave and Jim,

I would like to see some data logs from your ECUs. Please email them to me when you get a chance. Curious to see the IATs and how the ECU is correcting for the new blower in general. There is built in margin of error in every map based on how the correction tabels are set up.

thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
Been at PRI almost all last week, so still catching up here...Interesting stuff.

Wanted to let whoever is interested that in the EFI system we already have a fuel pressure input in place, so if needed (and as long as the inj duty is not compromised) we can set up an injector time offset for a drop in fuel pressure and a spark offset as a safety.

Also, the engine protection mode can be used for fuel pressure drop as well.

We have kits that consist of a fluid press transducer, wire loom that plugs into our harness, and we'll set up your map for this upgrade at no charge.

We can also offer this same type of kit for oil temp and oil pressure.

Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
Phil

Let me know if you ever want or need a replacement wire harness for anything (i.e. the dash loom you mentioned before) b/c we build the Mil-Spec wire harness here in house. Autosport and Mil-spec...We have all that stuff.

Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
What's the additional cost for Fly by wire on top of the kit price?
The optional DBW controller cost $890

We have some customers who do not use this device and the cars run fine. However, an air bleed is required b/c the original IAC function was for non-DBW cars by design. One method is to drill a small hole in the throttle plate. Another method is currently under review.

The advantage of the DBW controller is that is enables the following:
Throttle sensitivity, Cold idle vs. Warm idle, throttle limits for temp, and other new strategies are currently being considered.

Also new and only for DBW cars, we are going to implement a pre-set throttle 'blip' for downshifts (if using a sequential gearbox).

ALL systems, regardless of DBW, can utilize the No-Lift-Shift (aka Shift Cut) for upshifts.

Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
OK, ditch the controller, but the cost is way up there. If you want to go back to stock for whatever reason a hole in the throttle plate would have to be addressed unless you go to the mechanical method of pressing the gas pedal before starting? Not sure if I'm correct there.
:coolnana:
The cars NOT using the DBW controller do not need the throttle to be pressed during cranking / warm up. They start just fine, the ones I have tuned anyway.

thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ok, thanks!.
So for now one would perhaps be better of waiting for the ECU reflash rather
than a setup for traction control with the EFI, if traction control is considered
important. Although I must admit that adjustable TC would be nice though:D

Would any extra hardware be required to set the EFI up with traction control?
(like the electronic throttle setup, whatever that is...:huh: )
We can add TC to the EFI system regardless of DBW or not. The 12 Pos modulated control switch is optional as well.

The system will require a wheel speed loom and Multiplexer we can sell as an add-on kit that plugs into the existing DRS wire harness for the EFI ECU.

Please feel free to PM or email (prefered) for more info if anyone is interested in learning more about TC, or other features we offer.

thanks
Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
Kris,

Somewhat related - can your EFi setup be used for no lift shifts and auto blip throttle on downshifts with us DBW folks? -- with the appropriate connectors/module?

Rob
Yes. Actually the no-lift-shift stategy has been around since day one of this particular ECU, and was present in the other more advanced versions of the ECUs for several years before.

The auto-blip of the throttle is something we can also do. We have not done it yet for a Lotus customer, but it's been discussed recently and should not be a problem.

However, I would think either control strategy would be better suited for a car fitted with a sequential gearbox. I can get into more details as to why if you like.

thanks
Kris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.