The Lotus Cars Community banner
201 - 220 of 2085 Posts

·
purveyor of lightness
4,268 Posts
Dave/Jim... I saw both of your boxes all ready to close up and ship yesterday afternoon when I popped over to Phils. They're probably on their way over to you even as I type...

You guys won't be able to tell that the parts didn't come from an OEM manufacturer - the quality and packaging is on par with the best. The brackets/hardware and machining are stunning.

Argh! I'm always a beta-chicken when it comes to these things* (Phil's always chiding me about that)... so I'm still a wee bit on the fence about "upgrading". I absolutely love the TVS and it's technology...

Post here and let us all know how it goes!

*Note: "Things" in this case refers to me not wanting to tear out my stock ECU and replace it with an EFI quite yet... since we only have the one engine management solution so far... I'm totally sold on the blower however!

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Hardware...

Thanks Guys,

Hardware: Much to our wives' chagrin, as of this weekend we have all the hardware sorted for upgrading both BWR and Katana kits:eek::nanner:

The kits really came together well and installation of the entire TVS system, whether an upgrade or the just installing it for the first time is MUCH EASIER than either the first gen BWR or Katana kits... Yip, I did say easier/faster installation:up:

I started with a clean sheet of paper on this whole alternator "relo" business and then did some custom machining of the TVS housing that knocked the multi-hour alternator relocation process out of the equation:nanner2: All the machining of the blower has been blessed by the manufacturer, so no compromise was made there either...

Best,

Phil

·
Anthony
604 Posts
Thanks Guys, I started with a clean sheet of paper on this whole alternator "relo" business and then did some custom machining of the TVS housing that knocked the multi-hour alternator relocation process out of the equation:nanner2:
Best, Phil
Hi Phil,
For the BWR upgrade people, does that mean that the alternator will remain in the same location without moving or modifying it?

I removed the clam because of the alternator relocation. It would have been a bear without removing the clam, at least for me. Other parts would have been no problem with the clam on.

Thanks, also looking forward to more info.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Thanks Guys,

Hardware: Much to our wives' chagrin, as of this weekend we have all the hardware sorted for upgrading both BWR and Katana kits:eek::nanner:

The kits really came together well and installation of the entire TVS system, whether an upgrade or the just installing it for the first time is MUCH EASIER than either the first gen BWR or Katana kits... Yip, I did say easier/faster installation:up:

I started with a clean sheet of paper on this whole alternator "relo" business and then did some custom machining of the TVS housing that knocked the multi-hour alternator relocation process out of the equation:nanner2: All the machining of the blower has been blessed by the manufacturer, so no compromise was made there either...

Best,

Phil
Phil, my man,
First, thanks for the nice card, I appreciate it and glad your enjoying the goods.

Second, any plans for a complete kit for cars not already s/c'ed. I've got a project car in my future.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
[Armchair car talk]

Phil, my man,
First, thanks for the nice card, I appreciate it and glad your enjoying the goods.

Second, any plans for a complete kit for cars not already s/c'ed. I've got a project car in my future.
Hey Ronnie... Short answer is a resounding "yep";) ETA for a complete kit (as opposed to just an upgrade) for this stage is Jan 09-- still ironing out those details...

This "stage" means the one I have been posting about. I'm not sure what stage this TVS kit is though? 2 or maybe 3:D Any further stages (i.e. more power) would certainly need pistons, then IC, then transmission, then rollcage, etc... It just keeps going... we could be at like Stage 10 before it's all said and done:panic:

Thinking outloud: This stage 2/3 kit or upgrade is probably about the max whp/wtq the stock pistons can handle and still have a reasonable degree of longevity at the track. Drop the compression with stronger pistons to boot and increase the boost a few PSI and knock out 300whp-ish--- perhaps...

Digressing here: I'd venture to *guess* that the chassis is potentially nearing its limits somewhere in that 300-325whp range before it's really just more power than it can effectively put down without significant chassis and body changes including a full rollcage (to stiffen the frame), fender flares (for more rubber and wider wheels), beefier toelinks (the outer links still break-eek-), etc *for track use* in particular. Let's face it, our little cars are stiff and well designed, but not infinitely so. The chassis technology is, give or take, 12 years old now and orginally designed for about 150hp--- I bet that would start to show on a track car with something like 350whp. None of that means it can't be done though--just about anything can be done at some price... On the otherhand, for a street car all bets are off, as John and Frank are working in the 400+whp range---Their cars are cool, but they're entirely different than what I'm after...

[/armchair car talk]

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
395 Posts
Since we're making armchair talk. :)

I have an '05, and I'd be interested in a TVS solution. The main things I want are:

- 100WHP over stock
- SIMPLE, clean, neat installation with no engine mods and no intercooler
- Reliability, reliability, reliability
- A CharlieX flash tune for 91 octane
- Decent spark advance. I just don't like the way engines run that have had too much spark pulled. They may make power, but they kill the gas mileage, and the throttle response is often funky.

It sounds like your solution Phil may be the first one able to accomplish all of the above. :clap:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Hey Ronnie... Short answer is a resounding "yep";) ETA for a complete kit (as opposed to just an upgrade) for this stage is Jan 09-- still ironing out those details...

This "stage" means the one I have been posting about. I'm not sure what stage this TVS kit is though? 2 or maybe 3:D Any further stages (i.e. more power) would certainly need pistons, then IC, then transmission, then rollcage, etc... It just keeps going... we could be at like Stage 10 before it's all said and done:panic:

Thinking outloud: This stage 2/3 kit or upgrade is probably about the max whp/wtq the stock pistons can handle and still have a reasonable degree of longevity at the track. Drop the compression with stronger pistons to boot and increase the boost a few PSI and knock out 300whp-ish--- perhaps...

Digressing here: I'd venture to *guess* that the chassis is potentially nearing its limits somewhere in that 300-325whp range before it's really just more power than it can effectively put down without significant chassis and body changes including a full rollcage (to stiffen the frame), fender flares (for more rubber and wider wheels), beefier toelinks (the outer links still break-eek-), etc *for track use* in particular. Let's face it, our little cars are stiff and well designed, but not infinitely so. The chassis technology is, give or take, 12 years old now and orginally designed for about 150hp--- I bet that would start to show on a track car with something like 350whp. None of that means it can't be done though--just about anything can be done at some price... On the otherhand, for a street car all bets are off, as John and Frank are working in the 400+whp range---Their cars are cool, but they're entirely different than what I'm after...

[/armchair car talk]

Best,

Phil
300-325 whp sounds about right to me. And yes, my project will include pistons.:evil:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Phil -

Thanks for getting back to me. For others: I am eagerly waiting an S bracket-enabled version of this sc to stick on my air/water intercooler. I'm after torque lower down, so once Phil gets around to it sometime next year will update any progress via Kris and DRS. The intercooler (Frank designed) I have takes out an amazing amount of heat - keeping post intercooler temps never more than 80-95 or so regardless of the temps on track (100+). That is with the MP62 that puts out a lot of heat when pushed hard. So anyways...everyone about to get one enjoy! I would echo the comments from many that for street applications you're probably safer but stock motors and FI approaching 300+hp I think it gets iffy. Very iffy lol. Track applications, I would assume a built engine is in your near future! But as my euro racer friends tell me, a built new 2ZZ is cheap compared to a new say...Lambo or Porsche engine (which is more than a used Elise ha!)

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
More of the armchair stuff

I recall watching a video of this little yellow Exige (s1) walking all over the F-cars, P-Cars, and Lambos in some GT race held down under or possibly GB Ithink????... It was awesome. The car looked like a baby super car, but it was still kicking tail. Great vid if you haven't seen it... it's on U-tube...

Anyway, I think I remember reading on this board or Seloc that it had a SC'ed Honda and was rolling out about 325whp... granted it was stripped down and surely weighed a bit less than our cars do (but all those other supercars were stripped down too- so call it equal to the cars we usually run against)... point is that one may not really need more than 300-325whp to beat just about anything on the track provided the driver is up to the task (That a bit about the driver is a big variable)... Obviously to be king of the streets, you'll need more power--- but then again, there's always some 1,000whp with 1,000wtq Supra or Viper waiting right around the corner that will simply tear any Lotus apart, eat it up, chew on it for a while, spit it out, and leave it for dead in a ditch;)...

Point is that we have to have goals and build the car to suit. My goal is to build a great/fast/capable track chariot that my wife will still ride in, is mostly street legal (sans smog issues obviously;)) and that I can take to costco on Sundays to pick up two cases of Shasta and still have them fit in the boot...

.... All the while not have come up with a myriad of excuses about how my car was faster in the turns but I just couldn't "hang" in the straights with that C6 Z06 so I get passed in the straights and hit traffic in the turns... I hate that... If I get passed, I want it to be because of me, not the car:up:

With the power I've got now, I think I would just come short of pacing a C6 Z06 on the straights... With 300whp, I think our cars would pace one, if not pull on one a bit. With my old 245ish whp, they'd pass me like I was up on jack stands (C5 Z06's were no problem before). It was silly to lose all that ground I made in the turns on the long straights. I think I now have enough power that I'll avoid losing *all* the ground on the straights and can stay in front and work on harnessing the power in the turns and leave the pesky Z06's in my trail of R comp tire dust:shift:

BM- I don't know what kind of armchair you have, but this is a webcam pic I just took of my self:D

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dark,
Thanks for the first hand report.

EFI is very cool. I do think EFI should adjust their price point.

There are a lot of folks on the fence, all they need is a little incentive.
It's tough to lower the price of the EFI system without making some changes to how complete the kit is...we are exploring the possibility of making some changes to the kits wiring loom to lower cost, but nothing final as of yet.

Everyone must remember this stand-alone as a system is already less expensive than other brand ECUs alone.

Kris

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It's tough to lower the price of the EFI system without making some changes to how complete the kit is...we are exploring the possibility of making some changes to the kits wiring loom to lower cost, but nothing final as of yet.

Everyone must remember this stand-alone as a system is already less expensive than other brand ECUs alone.

Kris
I personally think the EFI is worth every penny. I'm very happy with my extra HP and flexibility.

I just have the BWR group buy in my mind. The flood gates really opened when that was announced.

Just thinking out loud, I'm no expert, obviously.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I personally think the EFI is worth every penny. I'm very happy with my extra HP and flexibility.

I just have the BWR group buy in my mind. The flood gates really opened when that was announced.

Just thinking out loud, I'm no expert, obviously.
This is exactly the feedback I want...Please keep it coming. If others out there would say they would commit to a purchase at X price my ears are listening. Now its just a matter of how many...volume = discount.

Kris

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I have some EFI questions before committing...

1. How does it affect emissions inspection, or OBD emissions testing, or whatever kind of testing is done at the time of inspection?

2. How difficult is it to install properly and un-install properly? Approximate labor time?

3. How difficult is it to tune?

That's all :eek:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
after getting devistated by a Viper ACR in the banking at cal speedway last weekend....more that 300whp will be needed to run with one of those up top....the other problem...we run out of gearing long before they do, oh well.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
EFI is a breeze to unhook and go back to complete stock with OBD -- unplug it and plug bypass in -- that simple.

I plan to upgrade the unit with the Data Logging capabilities which will provide some additional learning capabilities. The new firmware will also have some additional goodies.

My car is back from Kris's tuning help, 100X better than before.

Rob.

201 - 220 of 2085 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.