The Lotus Cars Community banner
241 - 260 of 2085 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have some EFI questions before committing...

1. How does it affect emissions inspection, or OBD emissions testing, or whatever kind of testing is done at the time of inspection?

2. How difficult is it to install properly and un-install properly? Approximate labor time?

3. How difficult is it to tune?

That's all :eek:
It is relatively easy...key word is relatively. If you do not have any knowledge of how engines run i do not suggest tunign it yourself. Every system comes with a base map, but I always encourage people to share details about thier set up so we can better help them with the map. Maps for all the popular configurations are supported.

The software is intuitive and the layout is easy to navigate through. Here is a link to an article on our site that helps define some of the terminology DRS Engine Control Support

The main thing that separates this stand-alone from others is that the ECU is pre-configured for the application. This means all the sensors are calibrated, the firmware is calibrated to support the triggers on the engine, the drivers are set up for the coils, etc... Any other stand-alone requires all this to be figured out before you even think about actually tuning, and then once you are ready to actually tune the engine you are starting from scratch.

We made this system very easy to use relative to the type of product this is.

Feel free to email or PM me for more details.

thanks,
Kris

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Sorry, I did diverge some there on the CD. Oops.

I'm happy as a pig in **** right now, working on a new MAP for my EFI as we speak -- but I did get Kris to help get me a good base.

Uno Dos VANOS ... lame humor, working on this stuff makes me all giddy :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
2. Yes. Clutch being #1. Valvesprings should be upgraded, but I would recommend that for anyone, stock or otherwise.
Valvespring upgrade = to prevent valve float at high revs?

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Valve and spring upgrade I thought was to keep from dropping a valve at extended high rpm (above 8000)? Not really to deal with float?

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
This like the universal horsepower threadrotfl

The valves and springs are to help firm up the prone to float valvetrain. I would suggest that as people get more power, they use that as an opportunity to try and live below 8,000 and their motors will live a healthy life... There's plenty of NA and SC'ed mills that have floated valves, broke stems, etc in the above 8,000 rpm range on stock heads...

Best,

Phil

·
Vendor
3,655 Posts
This like the universal horsepower threadrotfl

The valves and springs are to help firm up the prone to float valvetrain. I would suggest that as people get more power, they use that as an opportunity to try and live below 8,000 and their motors will live a healthy life... There's plenty of NA and SC'ed mills that have floated valves, broke stems, etc in the above 8,000 rpm range on stock heads...

Best,

Phil
+1 I have seen 3 autocrossers break valves with rev limiter time of only a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Time to roll the sleeves up tonight. Phil's kit just landed, and it looks awesome as expected.:shift:
:popcorn:

I R JEALOUS

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
Phil: any pricing yet ?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Great work Phil. Take your time doing it right. We know you will. Don't rush on sending a price. Let us know when it is perfect.

Maybe we can put a group buy together?

I just dropped about 7K on more schooling so I doubt I would be in on the GB, but I hope someone puts it together as volume is good for everyone I imagine.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
So where did "Turbo" in TurboPhil come from?

Dave what size/PSI pully did you go with? Nice lookin' kit, did you photoshop the shine or what :)

I need a belt that is maybe 1/2" shorter from stock S belt -- anyone got some online sources I can order from?

No wood close by so I'll not discuss valve float yet ;) -- but I did drop my spark and fuel limiter down 8200/8300 -- gotta be the most simple change I've done to my EFI -- it's a very soft limiter too. Probably drop it down to 8000/8100 for track use -- the joy of being able to easily change this as needed.

Oh phil, thanks for the tip of exhaust TPS 5000/33 works GREAT!

·
Registered
389 Posts
OK, I've lost track... the kit pictured above is meant to bolt up to what intake bits (CAI/Manifold)? Just an upgrade for Gotham or BWR (since I don't see an intake manifold in pictured)? And still on the 440 injectors, or did you move to 550s?

Thanks... I'm really excited about the efficiency gains in the TVS!

241 - 260 of 2085 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.