The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 2085 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The "first ones" do offer much over a stock engine. You can drive mine when it's finished and see for yourself -poke- But this is going to blow them away. You'll be seeing turbocharger-like power :p

Put me on the list of buyers!!!!
Maybe they do for some... but not enough to motivate me in to spending $$$$ on one...

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
please make for S brackets....PLEASE
Will be working on that shortly... There's a couple other power freaks that are going to be running the TVS soon. Once they're up and running and I get the tow bars done, I'll start fiddling with the S manifolds (I've got a set on the bench)... With an IC and 550 injectors there's probably more power there than the stock internals can handle for a track car(certainly 300+whp 200+wtq--- The blower is good for about 24psi boost- so way more than most will ever use)...
But I really don't know just how far we can push the stock pistons for certain... The nice thing is that you can always de-tune if the power is too muchrotfl

Cheers,

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Darth,

You do realize that the OEM ECU is from EFi Italia? The aftermarket EFi is from their US division. Not sure I understand why your excluding EFi US and ability to tune without costly reflashes? There are some differences, but conceptually the same -- toss in DRS latest firmware/software for EFI 1.2 Lotus and you now have a potent and very adjustable package. Of course tuning is not for the faint at heart -- I'm slowly getting to understand it more but have a long way to go. But when I get there it will be rewarding -- at least that is my hope (I should know within a couple of weeks).

Phil,

Wow on those air-charge-temps!!! Even without an IC, it would appear this SC will stay strong and keep the power delivery going without drop off during track sessions. Big plus over the M62 which most know heat soaks and gets very inefficient very quickly on track and one's 220 or 240 HP soon drops to about 200.

Would this SC be able to bring a highly modified motor to 500 hp? With an IC of course. Not that I want to build a Frank challenger, but toying with the idea.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Robains,
To he best of my knowledge EFi usa and Efi italy aren't the same, they have a common root but effectively independant, hardware and software are different too but they used to use a common processor (at the moment, efi italy have moved on to a more powerful cpu in their newest ecu's, efi usa might have as well, but i don't really follow them) and peripheral set. EFi usa designs its hardware in the states, efi italy, in italy. Incidently i'm impressed you're able to get an efi standalone, harness, installation and tuning for less than $600.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Your pictures show a BOE manifold. Is that a GReddy that you milled that into?

I'd like to see a pulley that brings the boost back down to the MP62 range so the increased thermal efficiency of the TVS can be used to reduce the outlet temps for the non-intercooled kits. Also, it would be kinder to stock clutches.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Darth,

You do realize that the OEM ECU is from EFi Italia? The aftermarket EFi is from their US division. Not sure I understand why your excluding EFi US and ability to tune without costly reflashes? There are some differences, but conceptually the same -- toss in DRS latest firmware/software for EFI 1.2 Lotus and you now have a potent and very adjustable package. Of course tuning is not for the faint at heart -- I'm slowly getting to understand it more but have a long way to go. But when I get there it will be rewarding -- at least that is my hope (I should know within a couple of weeks).
I don't have anything against (or for) EFI. I had a TEC3 stand alone on my Miata and I never had the drivability that I have now with Charlie's reflash.

For those like me who like to drive and don't really care if I am really maxing out my set up, this reflash stuff by Charlie is perfect.

Could my Katana make more power with a stand alone? Yes
Could I attain better drivability/reliability without spending huge $$? No

If Phil gets around 245rwhp on a stock Katana with a Charlie Flash, I'm in!!
If Phil is short of 245rwhp or requires an EFI, I'm out. Simple as that for me.

I don't want to fiddle with stand alone anymore. If I'm to pay to change my Katana set up, it's gonna have to give more than 20rwhp. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Right now Charlie's 06 tune gives 225rwhp.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Darth- I understand where you're coming from... Whatever the final package ends up looking like from a tuning standpoint, it you don't make atleast 260 safe whp with this, you can have it for free...;):D :D :D

That's not to sound arogant, as I'm obvious kidding a bit, it's just that I feel it's really that good of an upgrade... :up:

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
740 Posts
@Phil: so your motor is still OEM, not built or something like that?

They should make a kit (hint, hint) with this TVS blower indeed so that people who still don't have a SC and want to skip the MP62 stage can go directly to TVS not needing to pay for the MP62.
What the increase in cost of a TVS over a MP62?

Great job!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Darth- I understand where you're coming from... Whatever the final package ends up looking like from a tuning standpoint, it you don't make atleast 260 safe whp with this, you can have it for free...;):D :D :D
Quoted! :up:

Now we only need Charlie's magic and my check will be in the mail. :clap:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I run the EFI and I'm not a tuner.

I get good HP and safe A/F numbers. I run some data logging to monitor my tune.

My local tuner looked at the software and said "no problem figuring this out".

I haven't had to use the local tuner yet.

Breakdown and get an EFI, copy Phil's

engine set up and your good to go.

(provided Phil doesn't buy a Noble)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Darth,

Still not sure why you're out? I'm not out from a possible reflash from Charlie, I'm keeping all my options open, but I like to tinker with my car and it will be a constant changing/evolving work (as money permits). Trust me, I used to believe that I get a car, set it up and that's it....but that reality was no reality, it was my fantasy world as I keep tinkering :)

Seriously, can you run a winter tune, a summer tune, a fall tune, a spring tune, a 91 octane tune, a 96 octane tune, a 100 octane tune, a 112 leaded octane tune? I'm sure you can, but how many reflashes would that be and what if you just wanna switch on the fly?

Charlie's current solution (which he may open up in the future) is a better alternative if you plan to "stabilize" your car and not change it much. But I don't plan to do that.

Charlie $600 dyno tune? Not sure I follow you. My original dyno tune was around $500 from FF (lets not go there). But the ultimate dyno for me will be on the track, nothing emulates a track like actually being on a track. :) I need to gather some more knowledge over the next couple a weeks and drop my car off in SoCal and I hope to be free of dyno's after that point and armed with ability to do this myself.

Phil,

Well, 500 hp from it? What's the realistic max before it becomes inefficient?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I'm remarking about your 'costly' statement, a reflash from me for these types of kits costs $600 base, thats it nothing else is needed, it'll be safer and have as much power as the standalone stuff, and it'll pass sniffer and OBD II, you need an efi standalone, a harness, and tuning, which is considerably more, yes you can retune to your hearts content and if thats your goal you ought to install a standalone, but it'll cost a lot more in the long run.

i charge $100 ph at the dyno, for the intial tuning, if its not right or needs tweaking, i don't charge addtional fees, even if it needs a few times , i don't charge for street tuning either, and other people get the benefit of any custom tuning since i can provide those updates, the last time i did that it was $25.

i think those going the way of a standalone are being true to the spirit of the hacker, and i wholly support that, but as with life you're taking a tiny percentile.

I just don't see where you get 'costly' from, thats all

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Darth,

Still not sure why you're out? I'm not out from a possible reflash from Charlie, I'm keeping all my options open, but I like to tinker with my car and it will be a constant changing/evolving work (as money permits). Trust me, I used to believe that I get a car, set it up and that's it....but that reality was no reality, it was my fantasy world as I keep tinkering :)

Seriously, can you run a winter tune, a summer tune, a fall tune, a spring tune, a 91 octane tune, a 96 octane tune, a 100 octane tune, a 112 leaded octane tune? I'm sure you can, but how many reflashes would that be and what if you just wanna switch on the fly?

Charlie's current solution (which he may open up in the future) is a better alternative if you plan to "stabilize" your car and not change it much. But I don't plan to do that.

Charlie $600 dyno tune? Not sure I follow you. My original dyno tune was around $500 from FF (lets not go there). But the ultimate dyno for me will be on the track, nothing emulates a track like actually being on a track. :) I need to gather some more knowledge over the next couple a weeks and drop my car off in SoCal and I hope to be free of dyno's after that point and armed with ability to do this myself.

Phil,

Well, 500 hp from it? What's the realistic max before it becomes inefficient?
I had a TEC3 stand alone ECU in my previous car, a turbo Miata. I know all the advantages of Stand Alone. But I also know all the pain in the ass problems, the hours of tuning, the agony of installing all that stuff, the problem to take it all off when it's time to sell because no one likes to buy stand alone equipped cars. I respect those who go down that road. But I did it and hated it.

You might like to tune/fiddle/play with your car with a laptop hooked to it. Me, I like to fill it up with gas and hit the track. At some point in my life I thought it'd be cool to fine tune my car. Now I know I'm not that type of guy.

Like I said nothing against EFI or TEC or MOTEC or whatever ECU you buy. It's just not my cup of tea.

So if I buy a CAI I won't see any gain? Well that's good news, I just saved myself a few bucks towards aero/suspension/brakes upgrade. At some point when you add 50-100rwhp to your car, does it really matter that you leave, let's say, 5rwhp (peak) because you don't add decat (or fine tuned)? To me it doesn't. And decat make your car smell like an '68 carburated Buick anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Charlie,

Oh I see, your talking initial startup cost, yes, it is more. But if one tinkers/changes their car over time, long term cost will be less if one does tuning themselves. Once I've got a good baseline set, I'll use track days, my data logging, and my laptop as my "dyno".

Darth,

Sorta my point though, if I hit a track that doesn't have race gas or has run out, then I simply switch or stay on the 91 oct map. If it has 100, then I switch to 96 pending how much 100 I put in, then later in the day when I'm confident I'm running 98% 100, I switch to 100 oct. Or if it's a really hot day at the track I may switch to an alternate map for safety.

Only when tuned wrong would a decat smell like a 68 buick ;)

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I'm obviously very excited about this. If the interest is there, we’ll work with existing vendors to bring this to the market as an upgrade and/or entirely new kit to the market.
Getting back on topic, yes, I'd be very, very interested in an upgrade kit for the BWR package if it includes the reflash. Very impressive work, Phil.

21 - 40 of 2085 Posts