The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Yeah, follow the weak link -- in my prior cars it usually takes some time to sort out chassis/tranny when significant TQ is added. I would have tought it would be higher than 176 TQ though, but maybe not, I guess the tranny was originally intended for 130 TQ. The half shafts actually look plenty strong.

What are the tranny options for this 2ZZ?

Phil, you shootin' for 200 TQ with the TVS?

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Phil, build a chamber in the fuel tank/cell to hold the NOS tank -- that's how most of the folks I raced used to cheat -- it's pretty rare tech will destroy a fuel cell to see if they find a secret compartment -- at least in the club racing series :)

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Enrico,

$1313 for a new 2ZZ short block. Buy'em while you can since Toyota will eventually stop making new ones.

Dang Phil, you're REALLY pissing me off now. So much so that I'm tempted to increase the rev limit just so I have an excuse... gaaaaaah, I hate you!

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
But the Glass is cheap phil. Blow a 4.6 DOHC Cobra motor up (done it twice) and it is NOT cheap - one ported race head cost me $2200 (that's more than an new 2ZZ short block and head). I think I'd rather just polish the glass until I can find a pot of gold.

But I agree on 4.6 DOHC, my buddies 1999 DOHC NA is the track motor that will not die, seriously -- he drives the piss out of it at the track and has been on the same motor from day 1 -- at least 80 events and figure 2-3 hours track time per event. His secret, didn't touch the motor and left it bone stock (and he runs 2:02's at Thunderhill with the bypass so he ain't slow).

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
I think you're correct Charlie, soon it'll be rebuilds only.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Days of our lives

MP62 is noisy
MP62 generates a ton of heat at higher manifold pressures (IC or no IC)

That's not bashing, that's a reality and I'm not comparing to the TVS, just talking about the MP62 and my experience with it.

I'm waiting to see how the TVS does at the track and get more data on it. Go watch my video on track with the MP62, some like the noise, I would prefer to hear my exhaust and for daily driving I'd rather not hear the MP62 at all.

I must admit seeing all these people suddenly come out of no where to jump on this thread does smell wrong. Like a 80 year old ladies perfume. But usually when this happens, it means competing vendors are worried and competition doesn't worry unless their is some real reason to worry. It seems some folks are indeed worried.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
The only reason this thread got confusing is because certain individuals wanted to be that way.

Phil is probaby being hush hush on some aspects because clearly there are "other" individuals that seem to have a competitive interest. The politics of business.

As far as, EFI has a few minor DBW issues that are being worked out (and probably ready for the masses as I type this), but after my successful track day and adjusting of my maps after each session, I don't see why anyone that tracks their car wouldn't want an EFI unit? Not many folks can afford to bring Charlie along to every track event to reflash their ECU after each session.

It gets even more confusing when folks say "I wanna see track data" but also say they don't want an EFI?? Ok, so how you gonna adjust and data log? Every track, every day is not and will not be the same. If you wanna tune for those conditions EFI is a great option.

Some good real instances of why one might want an EFI while on track:

1. You wanna bump that rev limiter just for one session to put in a flying lap for Time Trials -- you gonna call Charlie for a reflash or take 2 mins and make the change yourself?

2. You notice during a long sweeper the cam swithover is on the edge causing unwanted oscillation, you gonna call charlie for a reflash or take 2 mins and adjust the cam switchover yourself?

3. You run out of Fuel pressure at a specific turn and/or rpm, you gonna call Charlie for a reflash or you gonna adjust the fuel map yourself?

If you don't track your car much, then sure a reflash is a great solution. Anyway, back to TVS -- EFI is not required, but I would highly recommend it regardless of blower.

Phil, hang in there and stay the course.

Rob.

P.S. nothing wrong with being a casual driver either or living with a compromise, but this thread seem to be a litte more than "casual"

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
EFI is not necessarily about being the fastest, it's about adjusting your car to the track and weather. I agree, EFI is not for everyone and a Flash can be a good compromise and in some cases it might be spot on. But for different tracks, different weather conditions track side tuning is important and IMHO safer. If this were not the case, why do you think Charlie also offers track side tuning assistance (at a cost)?

On a really really hot day, you might increase fuel on decel to help cool the pistons more to prevent detonation and/or help keep optimal A/F ratio. Or as someone in the LCS thread mentioned the same track in Summer was 113 degrees vs. 39 degrees in Dec -- that's a HUGE difference that should be tuned/adjusted for to maximize output.

Assuming a driver has reached the point of driving where "there is no more time in me" and it now becomes setup and tuning, then an EFI is a big help to that process. This is also part of the fun for me -- guess I just like to be in full control.

As Dave said, ODBII is a no brainer -- it really takes about 30 secs to unplug EFI and plug in stock ECU and go drive and have it "learn".

But in any case, as I understand it, EFI is not required for TVS.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
ZTEC,

So you have a TVS with no IC and have run it on track? If you have, can we see your data? If you haven't, then all your ramblings are just predictions, assumptions, and crystal ball readings.

I for one would like to see how it does on the track with and without an IC. I'm waiting to see, but I'm sure not jumping to any conclusions before I see the reality.

If you read this entire thread, you'll see Charlie is not going to tune this setup IC or no IC. In fact, it looks like Charlie got himself introduced into this thread and is now back pedalling out of this thread -- could it be Charlie got a hold of a TVS and is testing it out? Hmmm...the politics are thick.

What this sure looks like to me is that Phil beat you Charlie/Frank fans to the punch and now you folks are scrambling and in the process are doing your best to degrade Phil's kit before you have ANY data to really do so. Perhaps moderators need to get involved here?

Happy holidays! Geeez

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
ZTEC,

So you don't have a TVS. So how about a "Wait and see" rather than a blanket "Death and doom"?

Phil is using lower comp pistons at his boost levels - have you read any of this post? What other's elect to do is up to them - pick your pully size and build or not the rest of the motor/fuel system to match -- same as one would do with any other kit TVS or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Fzust,

Only 1.6G sustained on 12" ?? You sure? I was doing that on only 8.8" (Hoosier R6) stock LSS track pack suspension, managed a few peaks around 1.7-1.8G in 2100 lbs (with me in it). My 3 axis G sensor was calibrated. I think your G sensor must be out of calibration -- did you calibrate it for your mount position?

Back to TVS, I'm peaking 145F on my MP62 at 9-10 psi post IC. Imagine what I could do with the TVS and an IC - 120F peaks at 10-11 psi?? Yum!

Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Me too!! Ice Ice baby yeah.

If Phil doesn't evolve a solution, I know a friend that has looked at Phil's pics and gone over my car and he "thinks" he might have a solution that does NOT require casting. But we're gonna wait and see where Phil goes with his TVS kit and for more real world results. I think 275 wHP is perfect for this car/tranny/chassis.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
I'd go with a Moroso pan rather than the Accusump -- my data logging shows the Moroso pan is more than adequate even at 1.7 G on Hoosiers. Less weight, less things that can go wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Eyelise,

It's not the capacity of the Moroso pan that helps, it's the baffles -- I've had good opportunity to inspect it and the Moroso pan is a good bit-o-kit.

What I found on my data logging is that long sweepers are NOT an issue at all. Where I see drops (where the oil pressure dropped to 32 psi) is the initial turn in and these are spikes (1/10th of a second or less) -- Accusump would be of ZERO benefit in these situations.

I was running Redline 5w-40, but plan to run 10w-40 next time and for summer I might go even thicker. Going over the data it's easy to see the oil pressure (on average) start to drop (still safe) as the oil temp went up during the session -- it was a relatively cold day 50-55 degrees F. Thinner oil = more HP/TQ -- so I need to manage viscosity to optimize performance vs. protection. Bare in mind I set my rev limiter to 8,000 spark and 8,100 (stock valves/retainers) -- rule of thumb is 7psi per 1000 rpm -- toyota service manual says min 40 psi.

Can you tell I'm a little giddy about my DataLogging. Not sure what this has to do with TVS?? Nothing... hmmm ... sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Eyelise,

I'm sure you're probably right on the drain back holes, I just don't know and I would be interested to see how this conclusion was derived? Did someone actually measure the oil level in the pan in real time?

But pretty sure baffles is #1 benefit -- more quantity is important but not as important as the baffle layout/design of the moroso. Kinda wish the fuel tank were design that way ;)

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Sweetness, I'm already itching for the S kit... trying to control myself ...

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Soigne,

We're neighbors (I live in Concord). But I gotta question how you gained 41 wHP and 40 wTQ going from 91 octane to 100 octane race gas?? That seems a little miraculous unless you really cranked the boost up?

Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
EliseAtLeast,

The kit looks to have multiple stages probably based around the size of the pully. I see no reason why the stock IC can't be used. The pully size will determine what other items you may need to upgrade.

Rob.

Kaz,

Soigne said "275 wHP" -- 100 octane alone can't do a 41 wHP increase, so I'm gonna ASSUME more boost was added and that the internals (Pistons) are not stock.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Soigne,

You might want to PM me -- depends on how bad it blows up. If you get lucky like me, I just had to buy a new short block. If you don't get lucky, you have to by short block, head, oil lines, oil coolers, radiator, radiator lines, new turbo, new IC -- that's not cheaper than going with better internals.

This thread is for TVS kit -- I know, it gets off track (I'm guilty of that too).

Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Phil has called me at 9pm PT that is about midnight his time -- he's just leaving his shop. His wife appears to be extremely forgiving -- the guy works and works and works and works. He is one of those rare folk that does it for love, not money.

Rob.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.