The Lotus Cars Community banner
81 - 100 of 2085 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
So Phil what exactly is required parts wise for someone who wants a kit that is still in NA form at the moment?
Supercharger, intake manifold, manifold to TB, belts, brackets, and possibly injectors....?

I think that's what most of them include... not accounting for the ECU tune you'd need.

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
Very cool...thanks for taking the time to design this and make it so it was an "upgrade" vs. a whole new kit.
Keep the price less than $2k (or there abouts) and you will sell one to anyone who has already purchased a SC!
Absolutely!...let us know when we can send payment

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a newly installed BWR kit, what size injectors are needed for the increased power.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks for all the kind feedback everyone. I think it's fair to say that there's enough interest to make a BUNCH more of these kits. Here's what I'll do. I'll visit with the "usual suspects" about tunes, distribution, packaging, etc. I'm quite certain that details for distribution would be ironed out in Jan '09, which is surprisingly fast approaching with the holiday season already here :crazyeyes

In the meantime, there are two other forum members that are installing the kit soon as upgrades (one BWR and the other S111 Katana). Given the compression ratios involved, I'm actually expecting a little more HP/TQ from their cars given the higher static compression ratio of the stock engine.

Pricing is obviously still in the works. What I know is that the upgrade kit will be substantially cheaper than your original kit cost you. To be any more specific than that, would purely be speculation at this point. This is really very close to a ready to mass produce level just as it sits on my car, so there's not much else to iron out from the hardware side:coolnana:

I'm still open for questions about performance, hardware, etc... but I won't have any specific answers about price and how it will be delivered to the community until closer to January...

Thanks again! Projects like this are certainly fun and exciting! :up:

Best,

Phil
I'm going to plug for Phil here.

I was at his place on Sunday and got to see his car and some of his other projects.

If he makes a kit, it will be top-shelf all the way - he is one of those people who truly believes that you do it right or you just don't do it.

I would not hesitate for a moment to buy his kit if I was supercharging.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Disregard the above post I have found what you mean......

So who has the inlet manifold advantage then Sector, BWR, VF or Original Lotus S manifold?

Or are these all basically identical

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Turbophil, maybe I missed it, but what version of the TVS unit are you using? I'm assuming its the R900 (based on Eaton's website and displacement recommendations)? Is there any weight difference between what's coming with the Katana/BWR kits and this unit? Just curious. I don't really understand the design process yet, so if this is a very stupid question, please tell me to shut up... but I've read that the R1320 has the same bolt pattern and overall foot-print as the M62, what's the reason for going wtih a smaller unit (if that's what you did) instead?

Thanks, just trying to learn/understand what I want to spend money on :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Disregard the above post I have found what you mean......

So who has the inlet manifold advantage then Sector, BWR, VF or Original Lotus S manifold?

Or are these all basically identical

Sector and BWR are designed for use without an intercooler. The VF and S are designed to work with an intercooler. Phil's current setup is for use without an intercooler. Different adapters would be required for intercooler use and several people have requested that.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Yeah Phil's pretty anal, and I mean that in a good way. I would expect/demand top notch workmanship -- and he has the tools/equipment to do it.

Still think you should get out to CA Phil and do a couple of track events to validate the track worthiness of the kit (even without an IC).

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Phil,
You make a kit out of this and yet again, I'll be a customer.

No, I'm not taking out my turbo, this would be for another car.

·
Registered
853 Posts
+1, I know I posted much earlier in the thread but I was lucky enough you take a ride Phil's Elise and there is no comparison in the pull from the additional HP. The ride sealed it for me and the GTG was a whole lot of fun and I met some great fella's there.

What a great increase and still a very drivable car.

·
Registered
295 Posts
the way new sc kits and stuff are coming out we will never decide which kit we should get. we are waiting for stage 2 ronin, bwr kit comes u, we are waiting for vf stage 2 this new supercharger comes up !! and the funny thing is htat each kit that comes out everyone starts saying, oh yeah this is the best kit , nothing is better etc. one week later they say the same thing for other kits.so confused and undecided yet :shrug::huh::drool:

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Don't think anyone said "this is the best kit"? Think the meat of the thread is low charge temps without an IC at affordable prices.

This SC design was given big props from other sources that are not Lotus specific. I believe the design of the SC is it's key on efficiency and great track potential with minimal heat issues.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Still waiting for some one to come up with something CARB compliant, so I won't have to sell my aftermarket supercharged Lotus in 3 years....
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
MP62

I do not think the Eaton MP62 blower was ever considered the ultimate blower option for the 2zz motor. The packaging and low end power are very good but effeciency and the resulting heat gain are not. The TVS blower is as close to the Lysholm twin screw blowers as Eaton can make them without infringing on patent rights. I think all of the twin screw blowers are too big for the 2zz so the TVS should be the best all around solution.

81 - 100 of 2085 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.