The Lotus Cars Community banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Ah this? So you drain the oil back into the oil pan? That's actually pretty creative!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Haven't dynoed yet - that'll happen in a few weeks. Very conservative tune in there right now.

286/186 drag numbers were posted back in 2009: 11.83 @ 117.69.

Car weighed 1980 at the line with me. I'm thinking 1999-2007 for the new config. Haven't weighed it on my scales in over a year. Definitely need new baseline.

Hope this helps! Where are you thinking about dropping another 50lbs from?
Kinda heavy considering you are an Elise and your body weight is 150 lbs according to phil ;) -- I was 2020 lbs with me (180 lbs) in the car with 5 gallons and all the safety stuff (cage, fire, hans, helmet, yada yada) ... get some weight out of that porka! :)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Thanks for posting Phil, but still no data overlay?

It's not the HP of that GT-R that's killing you on exit, it's the Torque and distribution of that torque to 4 wheels in a manner that is considerably more "modern" than our RWD LSD (or not) equipped cars.

Would love to see your throttle position, rpm, G data, IAT, water, oil, timing, AFRs, etc. -- I know you have the data, don't know why you never show it?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Yeah I noticed the wing change, but oddly, at all but one track (Infineon), I've found that max AOA actually slows me down (in terms of lap times) -- maybe I just don't have enough HP ;)

As for the data overlay, I know folks that would like to see it (think possible sales), espeically from someone that drives the car hard. I've gathered a few data points from TVS Evo here in CA -- in terms of IATs, but they run about 7/10 ths and don't race. Sorry phil, not buying the "I don't have time to do it" excuse, I know better.

Are you running Hankook C71s or something else?

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
BTW- Shameless plug with a big congrats:

I just learned Fred of BWR just won Nationals in his XP Elise with the help of Rev400 power and our Nikasil engine in addition to some persuasion from Kris at DRS just to name a few. Fred's driving didn't hurt either:up:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::shift::shift::shift:

SCCA - Sports Car Club of America
That is good news, that means the Quaife sequential is holding up :)

Congrats Fred.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
As for BB, when building the motor the ring orientation and ring gap specific to application will contribute to more or less BB. SC application will have different ring gap from NA application ... fortunatley folks like Mahle and Wisco provide gap specs per application. Biggest pain in the ass I had was getting all the rings orientated correctly before locking them down and sliding the piston in -- the clamp would have a tendance to want to move them (went thru 3 different types of clamps and they all sucked).

I would assume a coated piston/cylinder would need a different specification ... not sure how Phil figures that out? How do you figure that gap out Phil?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
You sure about that? When I pulled out my stock pistons they all appeared to be in about (pretty close) the same offset positions per Mahle instructions -- not the exact same position but the offsets where there. I think it's the relative offset that matters.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I have jackass, and they disagree with you. Maybe coated they move around more.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
You sure about that? When I pulled out my stock pistons they all appeared to be in about (pretty close) the same offset positions per Mahle instructions -- not the exact same position but the offsets where there. I think it's the relative offset that matters.
How is this unclear? And where did I say they don't move??

Like I said the key is the offset (follow the instructions from the piston manufacturer, but of course Phil knows better in all things) ... if you have the ring gaps all lined up what happens is compression will actually keep them lined up -- not good for power and lots of blow-by. Offset the rings and they are MUCH less likely to meet this condition (you'll have better odds at winning the lottery).

As for 2 stroke, the rings must not move (pins or bump to keep them in place) because the ring gap could snag the inlet or exhaust port and break (in my Karting days I rebuilt the motor every month) ... this is obviously not an issue with 4 stroke design.

For something so "basic" (as Phil puts it), I find it odd why one would be so secretive about ring gap on coated pistons and/or cylinders? I mean, it's so basic right? ;)

Rob

121 - 129 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.