The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my Lotus I specifically wanted something that had darker almost sinister look to it. so I naturally choose the Evora in Carbon with the Black Package with charcoal interior. What surprised me is the headliner was a cream color.
PersonallyI think the cream headliner with the charcoal interior looks cheap. heck, even my Mini cooper has a dark headliner. While talking to my stereo installer they told me they had a company that would do a custom alcantara headliner in any color I liked.

I picked a anthrocite suede ( looks jsut like the Aston Martin optional alcantera headliner) that compliments the charcoal very well.
Im going to have them do
headliner
sun visor
A and B pillars
door pulls
horn button on steering wheel ( looks like a big chunk of cheap plastic right now)

Ordering in the materals this week and with luck will be installed next week.
Will post picks.

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Black out the headlights and taillights while you're at it. Don't forget the windows. You'll be the "Great white duke" in no time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Awesome. Love Alcantara, just make sure it is Alcantara though that they use, there are many fakes out there. I was doing Alcantara headliners many years ago before they started to import into the USA. There is nothing better besides leather and alcantara.

However, the panel material from alcantara isn't as good anymore because they have to but a flame retardant backing on it which messes it up a little bit. The soft version with the 3mm foam is great... but for a headliner, I am sure they will use panel and glue over the factory headliner

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Black out the headlights and taillights while you're at it. Don't forget the windows. You'll be the "Great white duke" in no time.
I take it you don't like the idea.
I liked the fact the Evora was a bit of a luxuary, but would to like have just a little more.
I know Aston Martin and Jaguar have been offering alcantera from the factory for a while. Love the richness of the fabric. Now every exotic uses it, even Lotus

this is what I'm looking at

alcantara2.jpg

alcantera.jpg

I do have a light 30% tint. not a fan of dark tint
have no plans on blacking out any of the lights

My wife calls the red car "girls in party dresses" and black, silver, and gray a "tux and tales"
its all what you like. No wrong answer:up:

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
I was funnin' ya! Frankly I like girls in party dresses, more fun. :drool:Actually its sundresses and nothin else:pOnly thing I don't like about Alcantara is the way it looks in pics (all fingerprints or misdirectional rub marks). Tuxedos are much better than the old school archaic shirt and tie though

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Haha you know guys if you drive enough with the windows down in Los Angeles it only takes 20,000 miles to turn black like mine rotfl

·
Illegal Alien
4,615 Posts
Another luck out on the GP; came with a dark grey SuedeTex headliner

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another luck out on the GP; came with a dark grey SuedeTex headliner
Would love to see it. I changed from alcatara to the suedeTex. The alcantara looked abit like a 70s black light poster. SuedeTex looks much richer. Will post pictures whenthe car comes back next thursday

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who removed the headliner - yourself or the trim shop? Would love to know exactly how difficult it is to do.
trim shop is removing the headliner. A new tuner shop in St.Louis called AutoExotica.
so far they have been great. Did a top end stereo install and I could not be happier,
I tore my door car and they fixed it. My phone ripped a 2 inch gash in the door card. after the repair you can't tell where the damage occured.

They are having a trim person come in . he is going to cover the A and B pillars and the headliner with the suedetex. door handles are going to be covered with leather.
can't cover the horn button due to the fact it is the airbag cover. The plastic peices are going to be dyed black.

AutoExotica sorted out a vibration problem with my front end. apparently one of my wheels was 2 ounces out of balance.

so far AutoExotica has impressed me.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:
door handles are going to be covered with leather.

Are you going to have them done like mine? If you are, you want to order some new clips from the dealer, so they will fit snug when they reinstall them. It feels much nicer when you pull the door closed, with the leather than just the platic.
Ron:clap:

Attachments

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
door handles are going to be covered with leather.

Are you going to have them done like mine? If you are, you want to order some new clips from the dealer, so they will fit snug when they reinstall them. It feels much nicer when you pull the door closed, with the leather than just the platic.
Ron:clap:
yep. your door handles were the inspiration for getting mine done. thanks for the heads up about the clips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts