The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Next step...race car build direction.....looking for advice.

Guys, it looks like I'm at the level that have to decade what should I do with the car to improve my lap times on the race track for the next season.

I achieved a lot this year, I did lap time on the track day event which is 6th time in Polish National Championships :cool:

here are pictures of the car:

on boards:

here is list of present modification:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Seems your list of present modifications did not post?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure something missed :(

here is the list:

1. Body
-Rover base frame S2
-APR Rear Adjustable Wing
-APR Canards
-Reverie Diffusor
-Reverie Big Side Intakes

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2.Wheels/Tires
-7x16 Dunlop full race slicks 200/580r16
-9x17 Dunlop full race slicks 235/610r17

3.Suspension
-JRZ 3way (not setup yet :( )
-Nitron Racing Wishbone Bearing kit
-Front rims spacers 14mm each side
-Rear rims spacers 24mm each side
-ABR adjustable

4.Brakes
-Front 308 Alconn discs with Nitron Bells and Ap 4Pot callipers
-Rear have to check discs but callipers are stock Nitron Bells
-SRF Brake Fluid and metal cables
-Front discs cooling system with catchers in the bumper

5.Engine/Gearbox/Exhaust
-Forged K24 producing [email protected] and 470Nm on 1,2 bar boost (Rotrex 38-71)
-Precision Turbo liquid cooler with big front radiator
-Big Engine air to air Oil Cooler
-Lotus Sport Water Radiator
-K20 JDM Gerabox with Accord FD
-Light Weight Fly Wheel
-FX400 Clutch
-Gearbox Oil Pump and air to air oil radiator
-Cusco LSD
-Custom gear cables and ball bearing gear change mechanism
-4-1 custom header with 76mm exit
-76mm custom muffler

car weight is 847 kilograms with 22 liters of petrol.

I'm thinking about:
1. Race uprights to reduce the ground clearance
2. 17' on the front and 18' on the rear as I bought exige clams and Reverie wheel arches.
3. wider track about 5cm each side, probably using wider spacers?
4. will reduce the weight as car is full stock interior incl radio
5. race battery
6. roll cage
7. proper race seat

Track/Race Guys any thoughts?

btw car accelerate 100-200km/h in 4,6 sec

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
If you're looking for more speed perhaps you should consider getting some professional level instruction? I didn't watch the video so I don't mean to be knocking you but generally the best part of a car to tune is the driver. Slow drivers in fast cars are still slow - it all comes down to the driver.

So be careful to not sink all your money into parts, it's the experiences that make us better/faster/safer drivers.

As for what you're considering I would NEVER consider moving to 17/18 wheels. They will be heavier and having that extra rotating mass certainly won't improve speeds. Most people go the opposite, swapping to 15/16 wheels as again you remove weight and there are much better tire choices at 15/16. Those will however only fit over stock brakes so that's clearly out for you...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you're looking for more speed perhaps you should consider getting some professional level instruction? I didn't watch the video so I don't mean to be knocking you but generally the best part of a car to tune is the driver. Slow drivers in fast cars are still slow - it all comes down to the driver.

So be careful to not sink all your money into parts, it's the experiences that make us better/faster/safer drivers.

As for what you're considering I would NEVER consider moving to 17/18 wheels. They will be heavier and having that extra rotating mass certainly won't improve speeds. Most people go the opposite, swapping to 15/16 wheels as again you remove weight and there are much better tire choices at 15/16. Those will however only fit over stock brakes so that's clearly out for you...
watch my movies:)
why GT3 cars are on 17/18?
not sure if my rear tires are able to transfer power to the ground.....

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
because bigger brakes (AP, etc) don't fit inside 15 or 16 inch fronts.. and racecars tend to have big brakes.
I guess there is some debate on this forum about whether the car requires bigger front brakes when the smaller brakes do acceptable job.
I would opine that since you have quite a lot of power, therefore speed, you would probably make use of bigger brakes than most of us here, so the larger front wheels to accommodate the larger brakes make sense.

·
3,201 Posts
Ok, just watched - first I'll say you are clearly a competent and safe driver (I can see you looking ahead/around) but you're clearly running pretty quick (I don't know that track so hard to say on your line). But I am seeing that you could be a bit smoother (we all can), specifically I think your hands are a little busy (I hate shuffle steering and think with our cars it's almost totally unnecessary given the quick steering rack). I also think you could work on smoothness coming on the power, you're clearly kicking the back end out by getting on the gas too soon and I saw a few places where you got on the gas early and then had to lift, then back to the gas, etc. Again don't take this like I'm saying you're bad at all - my point is we all still have things we can learn.

That said if you're looking for more speed you probably going to have to get it with your wallet - I still wouldn't go 17/18 as that's just going to add more rotating mass and isn't going to make you faster - now if there was some set of tires that you want to run that are cheaper/stickier then that could be a reason.

If you want to take 2-4 seconds off your lap do one thing - Yoko slicks. They are total and complete hero makers, you won't believe the difference. In my experience is goes:

Streets -> R888s (2 sec faster) -> Hoosiers (another 2 seconds) -> Yoko A005 (another 2 seconds)

Those are rough numbers so not absolutes but get yourself some slicks and then hold on for the ride!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very nice project, it has similar performance to our car & yes it is a handful to drive.
Good job keeping it on the track.

What made a big difference was going nearly 8" longer on the wheelbase & approx 5-6" wider to get a superior width to wheelbase ratio.

Have you seen the images of our car? If not you can PM me for pictures.

We went for GT3 bodywork initially but that was not enough, we then had to make the bodywork even longer & wider.. the handling was totally transformed.. I gained nearly 5 sec's from the improved traction especially with the rear not trying to swap ends :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, just watched - first I'll say you are clearly a competent and safe driver (I can see you looking ahead/around) but you're clearly running pretty quick (I don't know that track so hard to say on your line). But I am seeing that you could be a bit smoother (we all can), specifically I think your hands are a little busy (I hate shuffle steering and think with our cars it's almost totally unnecessary given the quick steering rack). I also think you could work on smoothness coming on the power, you're clearly kicking the back end out by getting on the gas too soon and I saw a few places where you got on the gas early and then had to lift, then back to the gas, etc. Again don't take this like I'm saying you're bad at all - my point is we all still have things we can learn.

That said if you're looking for more speed you probably going to have to get it with your wallet - I still wouldn't go 17/18 as that's just going to add more rotating mass and isn't going to make you faster - now if there was some set of tires that you want to run that are cheaper/stickier then that could be a reason.

If you want to take 2-4 seconds off your lap do one thing - Yoko slicks. They are total and complete hero makers, you won't believe the difference. In my experience is goes:

Streets -> R888s (2 sec faster) -> Hoosiers (another 2 seconds) -> Yoko A005 (another 2 seconds)

Those are rough numbers so not absolutes but get yourself some slicks and then hold on for the ride!
sure I agree with you :)
I have more rally style than race style.
I'm running on yoko and dunlop.

regarding to your question about the track,here is last year results, first car is professional race car in 2011 spec driven by pro race driver.
Tor Poznan Track Day

here is my from 2012

http://www.tptd.pl/11ed2012/ZBIORCZY WSZYSCY.pdf

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
what are you using for intercooling?? I have a k20 / rotrex c38-71 one myself.. Also where did you get the c38-71 bracket?
I'm using precision turbo liquid cooler, big one rated to 700Hp, than there is water tank, water pump and second water radiator installed under main water radiator.
Maximum intake temp I noticed was 49C when ambient 30C
I'm using bracket from tts.

·
3,201 Posts
I was not there but radical is still slower....

http://tptd.pl/15ed2012/ZBIORCZY WSZYSCY.pdf
Not really sure what your point here is - comparing a bunch of random people I know nothing about in a bunch of completely mis-classed cars doesn't tell me anything at all. I think I'm missing something.

The only way to really compare yourself as a driver is in a classed car or the exact same car.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Not really sure what your point here is - comparing a bunch of random people I know nothing about in a bunch of completely mis-classed cars doesn't tell me anything at all. I think I'm missing something.

The only way to really compare yourself as a driver is in a classed car or the exact same car.
I mean radical with medium driver should be always faster than lotus.

btw my target is 1,36. Pagani Zonda GT3 is doing 1,32 on the same race track.

·
3,201 Posts
I mean radical with medium driver should be always faster than lotus.

btw my target is 1,36. Pagani Zonda GT3 is doing 1,32 on the same race track.
Still think I disagree with that - how do you define "medium" driver? A Radical can be an extremely difficult car to drive and again I think comparing different drivers in totally different cars is an exercise in futility. I understand the point you're trying to make which is you're trying to get a baseline to compare to. Just be careful with that as you are not comparing apples to apples at all.

But let's assume a few things - you're an experienced driver and the guy in the Radical is a "medium" driver, yes, I'd agree he "should" still be faster - but that should is a big statement. I think given the times you're running you should start looking at your own driving to see what you can do to make yourself faster - against yourself.

Do you use data acquisition yet? I installed a Traqmate last off-season and this year I've taken 6 seconds off my fastest lap. I pretty much owe all of it to my Traqmate and the amount of seat time I've gotten this year. If you can't analyze what you're doing (vs. yourself and other drivers) with real hard data then you can't analyze.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts