The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I have to admit I am a Packers fan, but after watching Monday night's game I can't help but think that the referee lockout has pretty much ruined the NFL. Especially with referees that are deciding the game...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
its freaking ridiculousness. The they are like 3million a year apart, the NFL makes BILLIONS in profits.

What would it take to end the officials' lockout? My colleague Peter King wrote today that the gap between what officials want and what the NFL is offering is around $3.3 million per season.
Gosh. That is a big number, isn't it? I don't know how the NFL is supposed to come up with $3.3 million every year ... hey, wait, I just stumbled upon this little news item: The NFL recently signed nine-year agreements with Fox, NBC and CBS that are worth $3 billion a year.

Read more: NFL's replacement refs have become embarrassment to league, fans - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

integrity of the game my ass

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm from Milwaukee but I live in Santa Barbara and watched the game with some friends in a local bar. Nobody could believe the call regardless , even the Seattle fans. Carl

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is ridiculous that even the reporters can't spin it in a positive way! I mean, when the announcers are saying the referees are ruining football it is saying something...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lifelong Packer fan from WI and I'll be the first to say it. Three stupid run plays from the end zone lost that game, not that, "TD". Two field goals after TD's would have tied the game. MM's cutesy play calling lost that game.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
perhaps the NFL is trying a new format, a sitcom

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
This abysmal end zone call didn't need happen in the first place.

The "scoring" drive started with a Green Bay interception that was called back on a sketchy roughing the QB call that assumed the rusher could have stopped his momentum in mid air to avoid touching Wilson's legs.

Later the same the drive was further sustained by a completely bogus defensive pass interference call where the Packer DB established position on the ball, but was grabbed and thrown down by the receiver to prevent the inevitable Packer interception. The same refs not only missed the blatant offensive interference call but somehow saw defensive interference!. Everyone, including the TV commentators and fans, saw this bad call too.

Somehow I just knew that all this incompetence was leading to an even bigger debacle that the replacement refs gladly served up moments later.:wallbang:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am just waiting for something like this to happen in a Dallas Cowboys game. Half-time entertainment will be the refs being roped and branded for the outraged crowd's amusement.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
What do you guys expect from scabs?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The NFL has taken great steps to insure parity in the league. For the most part, they have succeeded. The old saying goes, “On any given Sunday…” With teams so evenly matched, any blown or missed call can have a huge impact on the outcome. These replacement refs haven’t a clue what they are doing. All refs are human and even the regular refs make a mistake occasionally, but these guys are missing calls, making the wrong calls and costing teams games on a regular basis. I’m no fan of the Seahawks, Packers, Patriots or Ravens, but last night the refs gave the game to Seattle and Sunday night they stole one from New England. I certainly haven’t the time or inclination to watch every game, but I’m sure their incompetence has cost other teams their rightful victories. What can a fan do? According to Mort Anderson on ESPN, the owner’s attitude is as long as the fans are buying tickets and watching the games on TV, they don’t care! It’s time ALL football fans BOYCOTT the NFL until they settle with the professional refs. The players should also consider a walkout. These refs are messing with their livelihood. Look at it this way, if Seattle and Green Bay end up tied for a wild card spot, Seattle will get the nod because they “won” the head to head match-up. That will cost the Packers’ players a shot at the Super Bowl and a lot of money.

Finally, I thought the Seattle players and coaches showed how skewed societies moral compass has become. They all have been around the sport long enough to know that their victory was tainted and based on a terrible call by the officials. Instead of accepting the “gift” humbly, they celebrated like they had won the Super Bowl!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Blah blah blah... sob sob sob... that's all I'm hearing from people. Go cry a river for the Packers and the bad officiating somewhere else.

There was bad calls all around. They Packers shouldn't have got their touchdown and neither should the Seahawks. The Packers O-line didn't get better in the second half to stop all the sacks, they just started tackling the Seahawks D-line. Tons of bad calls and missed calls going both ways.

And why the hell is everyone mad at the refs?? They were D-3 refs that got thrown into an atmosphere they was above their qualifications. People are talking about them like they are trash. If the NBA all of a sudden called me up to play basketball in place of Lebron, guess what?! I'm going to be out there shooting more than Russel Westbrook. Don't like it, shouldn't have put me in.

And why do people keep talking about it not being overturned by replay... first, it was the "real" reply crew who reviews it, not the officials. Second, it doesn't matter because you can't review who caught the ball. Once they said touchdown, it was a done deal. Can't overturn "who" caught the ball once they screw up the initial call.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Blah blah blah... sob sob sob... that's all I'm hearing from people. Go cry a river for the Packers and the bad officiating somewhere else.
I guess football in your world would look very different... or this is just a good troll post.

Why bother to play at all if the games are to be decided on the official's fiat or incompetence? It wasn't just a bad call. It was clearly a bad call in so many ways, and it was reviewed on video and then accepted to directly determine the game's outcome with the clock run out.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

There was bad calls all around. They Packers shouldn't have got their touchdown and neither should the Seahawks. The Packers O-line didn't get better in the second half to stop all the sacks, they just started tackling the Seahawks D-line. Tons of bad calls and missed calls going both ways.

And why the hell is everyone mad at the refs?? They were D-3 refs that got thrown into an atmosphere they was above their qualifications. People are talking about them like they are trash. If the NBA all of a sudden called me up to play basketball in place of Lebron, guess what?! I'm going to be out there shooting more than Russel Westbrook. Don't like it, shouldn't have put me in.

And why do people keep talking about it not being overturned by replay... first, it was the "real" reply crew who reviews it, not the officials. Second, it doesn't matter because you can't review who caught the ball. Once they said touchdown, it was a done deal. Can't overturn "who" caught the ball once they screw up the initial call.
I think you are missing the point... The NFL should not have allowed such incompetent refereeing to happen in the first place! They shouldn't be throwing underqualified people into such important positions.

Look at it this way, you don't see college grads go straight into a CEO position, but that is kind of what the NFL did.

True once signaled a TD it can't be reversed... but one referee signaled touch back while the other a TD. Sounds like they needed to get together and sort it out... Didn't look like that happend.

Honestly the entire 2012 season needs an aserisk for EVERYONE.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts

Don't be knock'n my Westbrook :)

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
It wasn't just a bad call. It was clearly a bad call in so many ways, and it was reviewed on video and then accepted to directly determine the game's outcome with the clock run out.
And then Roger Goodell doubled down on failure and endorsed the rent-a-ref's major malfunctions!...

Amazing.

So to answer the OP question: "NFL a joke?", Roger Goodell has the answer:

YES.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I guess football in your world would look very different... or this is just a good troll post.

Why bother to play at all if the games are to be decided on the official's fiat or incompetence? It wasn't just a bad call. It was clearly a bad call in so many ways, and it was reviewed on video and then accepted to directly determine the game's outcome with the clock run out.
A troll post? You're funny. What part of you CANNOT reserve that don't you understand. Once called a touchdown it stood. Point blank. Bad call? Of course but that's not the point.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts