The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to get details of when the oil cooler hoses specified as faulty in the recall will be replaced? The recall says that loss of braking, control and fire may result from this defect and yet it is a full 9 months since the notice came out. Calls to Lotus Cars USA today came up dead empty as to what and when something may be done. Supposedly per Mr. MacLeish of Lotus Cars, 5000 cars are affected by this problem, but are driving around "safely", which seems an oxymoron to me to have a defective car driving safely. Is there interest in a class action against Lotus to address this problem?

·
He's on fire!
3,387 Posts
Every class action lawsuit I've ever been involved in or had knowledge of, when the plaintiff's were victorious it resulted in gigantic payouts of less than $15. Yes, lets all get together and destroy our favorite maker and have them give the lawyers a bunch of money!

I'm not saying lotus shouldn't offer a solution, I just don't see how class action lawsuits help anyone but the lawyers typically.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who said anything about lawsuits

By class action it is not implied that there has to be a law suit or lawyers involved and nobody is looking fr a payout, simply to have the cars properly repaired.

If there are enough interested owners, they can petition the NHTSA investigator (in this case Ms. Delia Lopez) to put some pressure on Lotus to take action.

My phone calls to Lotus Cars USA have resulted in the very valuable information that the topic is discussed once every two weeks in their calls to England, but still no results or communication. Certainly a company that designs six figure automobiles can figure out how to replace a hose in less than nine months.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you are concerned you can take the car to a dealer and they will inspect the lines.

I had the lines replaced on my car after one of them had failed before and was fixed, and then another was leaking again.

The dealer ordered new lines and replaced them under the recall.

If this isn't good enough for you, you can order some aftermarket lines from Sector111 and replace them yourself.

This isn't a Ford. They aren't going to come to you and give you a loaner car and a $30 gas card or anything while they fix your car. It's tough love.

·
He's on fire!
3,387 Posts
Lawsuits are definitely a part of the "class action" we could take against lotus. If that wasn't what YOU meant, you should have been more specific! :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have to admit I'm quite upset about the apparent lack of attention Lotus has payed to this issue. If RLS and Sector111 have been able to design better oil lines, why can't Lotus create a similar replacement and use those to fix our cars? It's probably due to the fact they do not want to incur the labor costs of having their technitions complete the replacement on X,XXX cars....

Putting aside the hastle of having to deal with being stranded, having the vehicle towed, and then being without your car for weeks (or even months!), the fact that it can very plausibly cause an accident is far worse! -eek-

I realize if I feel so strongly about this I should just go out and buy an aftermarket solution, but I don't think I should have to be "out" ~$1,200 to properly deal with a mistake THEY made.

(Sorry for venting, but I just find this unacceptable .... )

·
Registered
153 Posts
Again, you can take the car to a dealer and they should look over the lines for you for free. If they are leaking or look like they could fail, they will replace them for free (or they should- they did for me)

If not they may not replace them as the lines may be crimped fine. There is still the chance they are not, but, they aren't doing anything more than that. They replace them with identical looking lines but ones recently manufactured, so as to have a known good crimp.

Inspect the lines when you do an oil change. The ones at the front go too, but they take about an extra 5 minutes to look at when the front wheels are off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Recall Apathy

Obviously from the lack of response there is little if any concern about the decision by Lotus to ignore the known problem. I find it hard to believe that a group of auto enthusiasts who have purchased a car because of its performance and handling capabilities have no concern for their own safety when driving in a vehicle with known defects.

As has been said above there are replacement parts out there that meet the spec, but obviously Lotus does not want to take the expense of paying distributors to do the repairs.

Everyone should be aware that as Lotus has informed you of a known safety defect, you are now responsible when selling one of these cars to notify the buyer of the defect. If you do not, then you will be the first person sued in an injury or death resulting from this problem.

·
Premium Member
12,082 Posts
why is this a separate thread? We already have more than a couple on this topic.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
why is this a separate thread? We already have more than a couple on this topic.
Because the OP couldn't be bothered to look around.

·
Premium Member
7,174 Posts
Obviously from the lack of response there is little if any concern about the decision by Lotus to ignore the known problem. I find it hard to believe that a group of auto enthusiasts who have purchased a car because of its performance and handling capabilities have no concern for their own safety when driving in a vehicle with known defects.

As has been said above there are replacement parts out there that meet the spec, but obviously Lotus does not want to take the expense of paying distributors to do the repairs.

Everyone should be aware that as Lotus has informed you of a known safety defect, you are now responsible when selling one of these cars to notify the buyer of the defect. If you do not, then you will be the first person sued in an injury or death resulting from this problem.
Hopefully you are a lawyer providing this guidance. It is also a 7-8 yr old car that would be sold "as is" on any lot in the country.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
dude - FIX YOUR OWN CAR!!!! THAT'S WHAT WE ALL DID!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!! ALLL BETTER NOW!!! Sorry for the caps....
PS - some of the "repairs" LOTUS is doing on the oil lines are failing again. Do you want them to re-install a time bomb in your car? In life there are certain things that a person has to take care of themselves. This is one of them. Leave Lotus out of it, get it fixed & move on safely & happily.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,945 Posts
I think I'll end up buying the dual oil cooler line kit from sector111 sometime soon. Long drives in the Elise kinda worry me because of these failures.

·
Registered
170 Posts
dude - FIX YOUR OWN CAR!!!! THAT'S WHAT WE ALL DID!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!! ALLL BETTER NOW!!! Sorry for the caps....
PS - some of the "repairs" LOTUS is doing on the oil lines are failing again. Do you want them to re-install a time bomb in your car? In life there are certain things that a person has to take care of themselves. This is one of them. Leave Lotus out of it, get it fixed & move on safely & happily.
I think these comments belong in the "Why People don't buy a Lotus?" thread. Most people probably wouldn't adopt this mentality when a car is manufactured with a sudden engine failure that is likely to cause severe loss of control kind of issue. Most people would expect the manufacturer to fix this type of safety recall. As it is, the potential for failure is in the back of my mind while I drive and allows me to enjoy my Elise a little less.

Jason

·
He's on fire!
3,387 Posts
Wrong. In this case, it would be a lack of action on lotus's part that is the reason. You're saying more people would buy a lotus if all the owners were organized in some sort of class action against lotus, regardless of lotus fixing the issue? I bet not.

I think these comments belong in the "Why People don't buy a Lotus?" thread. Most people probably wouldn't adopt this mentality when a car is manufactured with a sudden engine failure that is likely to cause severe loss of control kind of issue. Most people would expect the manufacturer to fix this type of safety recall. As it is, the potential for failure is in the back of my mind while I drive and allows me to enjoy my Elise a little less.

Jason

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Looks like most of the owners drink the Lotus Kool-Aide and are A-OK with Lotus clearly ignoring an NHTSA recall. I bet the same group would go nutso over GM doing this, calling it "government motors" and lamenting the fact that it got bailed out and by the way GM cars are such crap.

Lotus has the money for full-page Autoweek ads, some kind of F1 sponsorship, and it can't execute a recall? It is amazing to me that most owners think this is OK and they'll pop for the cost to fix the problem themselves or pay for an aftermarket modification.

And I know the car is 7-8 years old, and would expect to foot the bill myself for all ordinary wear and tear, but by definition, an NHTSA recall is outside the scope of that and should be fixed.

I own a 2005 Elise that I bought new and is subject to the recall. I am not satisfied with Lotus sending me a letter about the recall with no follow-up to make parts available and execute on the recall.

Why is it that everyone else really seems satisfied by this? Does it make the car "better" to have to put up with a poor customer service experience?

Finally, all this lawyer-hate and desire to let Lotus save money could be for naught if, for example, an owner has a front line failure, oils his or her tires, and has a fatal crash. You think Lotus might have punitive damages exposure? I do.

Shame on Lotus and shame on the lemming-owners who think the recall response is OK.

PS my predicton on the outcome of a class action? Lotus more promptly provides a real fix and pays the lawyers for their time and effort in forcing the issue, not a $15 payment to the affected owners. Costly to Lotus? Sure, and in my mind deservedly so at this point. Is the alternative of Lotus getting away with flouting NHTSA rules a better solution?

·
Registered
170 Posts
You're saying more people would buy a lotus if all the owners were organized in some sort of class action against lotus, regardless of lotus fixing the issue? I bet not.
If this is what I wanted to say, I would have said it. But I did not say it and it is not what I believe.

I think that most people would rather buy a car built by a company that will repair a major reliability/safety defect under recall.

Jason

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Oil Line Recall

my two cents-- i'm on the lucky side of this problem,since my line failed 3wks after the NHTSA made the decision to have lotus pay for [ a failed line ], but seemed to lack the teeth to force lotus to have affected cars without a failure to have fittings/crimp settings/lines replaced . I have read of an individual who had a failure after a repair & I pray I will be more fortunate then he was, since work performed at same place as he, was done twice on his car & I hope a correction was made and learned by tech/shop prior to doing work on mine--did not speak to tech when I picked up my car last month, he was gone for the day, but will when I bring it up to them in 2 wks for a service on new engine-- to find out what he learned from previous work on the 2nd failure of the owner before me

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
not that this comment can help those affected by a lack of response by lotus-- I will say this, with CEO D.Bahar dismissed, with the dismissal of I think the entire Advisory Board including the dismissal of ex GM vice Bob Lutz by DRB-Hicom who Proton sold a controlling stake in Group Lotus & then placed this guy Aslam Farikullah as the new COO of the operation in England - it must be complete madness over there-- So I put my uncounted vote in Volkswagon up-ing their bid for Proton and acquiring Group Lotus in the deal - Volks all ready owns Audi,Bentley,Maseratti, Lamborghini and now Porsche-- they have the deep pockets & maybe the will to save Lotus as a small niche company, by possibly sharing techs,designers and engineers in other aspects of their business's - then doing the right thing on recalls and satisfiing its devoted customers of Lotus

1 - 20 of 32 Posts