The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
The color combination looks nice...However, I'll be extra cautious at an 8-9 yr old car with that mileage...2900 miles in 8 yrs means the car is driven 30 miles a month on an average. The Esprits don't like to "garage queens"

Regards,

Alan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called them. They have no maintenance records. Certainly the car (at 9 years old) is due for timing belt, etc. Correct?

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Jason,

Maybe you want to check with them & see if they have a contact info for the original owner. You should be able to dig out some info from the original owner. And yes, you might need to replace all rubber parts and maybe all hoses if the car has been sitting around for too long. Cambelt, tensioner, pulley...If the car only has 2900 miles I doubt it if the car has gone through any kind of fluid change. So you probably want to renew all fluids too.

Also, before making a decision you should probably spend $200-$300 for a "Pre-Purchase Inspection" by a Lotus dealer or reputable Lotus mechanic that includes a leak down test & compression test. So you'll know exactly what you're buying.

At that price, you should be able to find newer models with more mileage and service records, which I would recommend. Maybe the color combination wouldn't be so desirable but I would say condition comes first.

Good Luck Hunting!

Alan

·
Banned
839 Posts
Wow super low miles..

don't pay attention to the price.. pay attention to CONDITION.. personally I would feel more comfortable in the espirt getting one w/ 20k+ miles if it's a 99.. the more it's used the better condition the car is.. trust me on this.. low miles like that are SCARY in the esprit.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Jason,

Maybe you want to check with them & see if they have a contact info for the original owner. You should be able to dig out some info from the original owner. And yes, you might need to replace all rubber parts and maybe all hoses if the car has been sitting around for too long. Cambelt, tensioner, pulley...If the car only has 2900 miles I doubt it if the car has gone through any kind of fluid change. So you probably want to renew all fluids too.

Also, before making a decision you should probably spend $200-$300 for a "Pre-Purchase Inspection" by a Lotus dealer or reputable Lotus mechanic that includes a leak down test & compression test. So you'll know exactly what you're buying.

At that price, you should be able to find newer models with more mileage and service records, which I would recommend. Maybe the color combination wouldn't be so desirable but I would say condition comes first.

Good Luck Hunting!

Alan
X2, whole-heartedly agree with all of this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts