The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Lessons are always available. :) I do a lot of intructing. We have a great autocrosser more on the other side of the US named Pat Salerno who also is an instructor for Evolution Driving Schools and who is also getting an Elise.

P.S. Still think I screwed up at Nationals this year, it was tough flying in and driving someone else's car. It was tough competing against cars that were brought in on semis, cars that had $6000 struts with hundreds of hours of strut dyno time. It was tough competing when the car owner and I messed up and left a full tread rain tire in the front boot for our runs. Bad idea in a sport separated by fractions of a second.

It will be good to have my own car again, it's been a while.
http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/prosolo/2000/year-end.html

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The car that won C-Stock by an average of 0.8s per course over the 2nd place car had only $2000 shocks. I don't know if it arrived on a trailer, but I know it's a daily driver.

Signed,
Your friendly neighborhood excuse-deflator

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
John Stimson said:
The car that won C-Stock by an average of 0.8s per course over the 2nd place car had only $2000 shocks. I don't know if it arrived on a trailer, but I know it's a daily driver.

Signed,
Your friendly neighborhood excuse-deflator
I think you are assuming I was talking about Telehowski, but I was not. I was really talking about the self imposed handicap of my 2003 program. Or can you trophy in an arrive-n-drive car all year. I expected it would put me at a disadvantage. I think it was 4 or 5 different Spyders over the year. Each with their own set up issues. Consider the alternative, which was my old car in 2000. You have your own car, you tweak it, you drive it. You drive it all year. It is familiar to you. You have a routine. But I did not do that. I flew in, jumped into someone else's Spyder and hoped it was working right. On the west coast, I was in a borrowed car and running against two major players, both very good drivers.

That was Jason Uyeda and Ken Motonishi. Those guys were the guys I was racing against. When I flew into Texas, I raced against DiSimo, also a great driver. And if I had LSD on the Spyder in Texas, I would have won. I am sure of that.

So in Topeka, my race was not against Steve Telehowski. Nope.
I was racing Uyeda, whose car was trucked in by TRD and how has the $5-6000 struts from ARE. And I was also racing against DiSimo who drove very well on his daily driver. And I was racing the other cars there. But not Steve's car. I mention Uyedas car being trucked in by Toyota, only because it seemed to symbolize the differences. A car with a ton of prep time, shock dyno time, tuning and testing all year... and now being transported in a semi provided by Toyota... vs me in a borrowed car running off the shelf konis. That is what I am talking about. It was my personal challenge.

I did beat Uyeda's Spyder, but not DiSimo and some of the other Miatas. And I came to the conclusion that the Spyder can not run with the 99 Sport Miata. It was disappointing to screw up about the tire. I also knew I did not drive as well as I should have, specially on the first day. The inside rear wheel spin at the ProSolo Finale was horrible and I didn't change the setup early enough and it threw me.

I never imagined nor intended to be racing competitively against Telehowski. I mentioned this before going to Nationals. I was hoping for second place. For whatever reason, I don't think it is possible, nor did I think it would be possible prior to Nats. I have run head to head with that car before. :) That car outpulled the Spyders in a launch in ProSolo and was 10mph faster in the slaloms than I was.

By the way, the rumor is that Uyeda has gotten on the list for an Elise too. There are going to be quite a few Elises autocrossing.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Randy

Do you know Jason Saini? I'm good friends with him. He was the B-stock winner this year in a S2000.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
meat said:
Randy

Do you know Jason Saini? I'm good friends with him. He was the B-stock winner this year in a S2000.
I have known Jason for quite a few years. We have run together at many events.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts