The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I while ago we looked into creating some sort of strut to hold the engine/trunk lid up on the Elise like on the Exige. However, we never found a solution that we really liked. They were too heavy, too expensive, or just not quite right.

So then our awesome fabricator said: "Why does it have to be a strut? I can design something mechanical that will do the same!" So we gave him the go ahead. Then he came back with this video :mw: : http://www.sector111.com/images/products/interior/lidbone/lidbone.avi

So we thought it was unbelievably sweet. We made a few slight mods to this prototype, but it functions all the same. I've had the prototype on my car for about a month now, and everytime I open the lid, I'm still amazed at how easy it is to prop it open. It takes an overly complicated trunk opening technique and makes it a snap. What do you all think? We should have a bunch in stock next week.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Let us know when they are in, I'll buy one! Awesome design, it will prevent you from over lifting the lid and chipping the paint on the engine lid/rollbar cover as well. Plus if your hands are full you can still open it :)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Cool-have a hydraulic lift for the MR2. Don’t think one came to market for 5-6 years. One great thing about the Elise, we don’t have to wait long for goodies.

Also nice to see ModernX is still around.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Sweet! It looks both simple and elegant and effective. When can we order?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Seems like it would get in the way for working on the car. But most likely can be removed. Go back to your cave sector111 and make me a carbon fiber dash kit. I have been waiting for one forever.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
That's a great solution for those of us who have the added weight of a wing. The stock prop rod looks like a wishbone when I use it. :)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Better make a lot of them!

This also would solve the problem where well-meaning helpful types try to close your engine cover. And then bend the rod, because they thought it was a gas stut.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Sweet idea and well executed. Price??

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Excellent!!!.............how much?:up:

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Stan said:
Better make a lot of them!

This also would solve the problem where well-meaning helpful types try to close your engine cover. And then bend the rod, because they thought it was a gas stut.
Brings up a question though, what happens if someone does not push on the hinged part and only pulls down on the cover?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Brings up a question though, what happens if someone does not push on the hinged part and only pulls down on the cover?
I'd break their fingers clean off. :wave:

1 - 20 of 175 Posts