The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked, but I haven't seen a photo of what the gauge pod looks like when it's lighted at night.

Would someone please take and post a photo when they have a chance?

TIA,
Jim

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It looks just like it does during the day, but lit up.

Was that helpful? :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Note one small pet peeve. You can't tell where the dials for the AC/heater are set to at night.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan,

Thanks!

I wasn't sure if the gauges did some kind of reverse (dark bkgnd, lighted needles and numerals) lighting effect or not.

They look OK I guess...

To nitpick, I would prefer black/dark background with illuminated numerals. I never understood the appeal (or functionality) this latest style of lighted bkgnds).

-Jim

·
Registered
687 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Note one small pet peeve. You can't tell where the dials for the AC/heater are set to at night.
Not by looking, but you can by feel from the indentation in each knob. You shouldn't have your eyes off of the road anyway. :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Randy, I hadn't noticed but I guess you're right. The few times I've driven at night I had the top off and didn't run the air at all. As far as the illumination goes, I don't find it annoying at all. The yellow hue is somewhat blurry and dim so it doesn't distracted me at all. I may be used to audi's red/white lighting.

·
Registered
273 Posts
you could always just put a little glow in the dark paint in the indentation of the knob for night time.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Jimbo said:
To nitpick, I would prefer black/dark background with illuminated numerals. I never understood the appeal (or functionality) this latest style of lighted bkgnds).
Yeah, me too, but to nitpick your nitpick, this is really the old way of doing things, just shine a light on the face. Backlit numerals are a new-fangled invention of the last 20 years or so. ;) I'm glad that the color is orange rather than blue or something. Have you been in a VW lately? :huh:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Dan said:
Not by looking, but you can by feel from the indentation in each knob. You shouldn't have your eyes off of the road anyway. :)
If I was designing the car, I would have specified that the knob position mark was aligned with the setscrew, because you can see the setscrew.

Never thought of fondling the knobs while driving, I will give it a go. Not sure that sounds safe either. :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Ha! You guys actually have illuminated heater controls! My european S2 doesn't and neither does the S1..

No matter though.. You soon know each knob blindly and don't need the light anyway :)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
764 Posts
There is a lightweight fix for those inclined to electrical stuff. Use Google to find out about bright white LEDs. One with a 20 degree cone of light weighs less than the change in your pocket but would toss enough light in a narrow area for dark adapted eyes. You'd need a few other bits to turn the brutal power environment of the car into somethig safe for the LED. You'd want to try out a few intensities to make sure you didn't get one that is too bright, LEDs have come a long way.

Or just learn where everything is at like every good motorcyclist has to do.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, me too, but to nitpick your nitpick, this is really the old way of doing things, just shine a light on the face. Backlit numerals are a new-fangled invention of the last 20 years or so. I'm glad that the color is orange rather than blue or something. Have you been in a VW lately?
Old or new, it doesn't matter. I'm thinking about the optimum design for visibility and clarity.

I know the lighted face is all the rage with the luminescent "Indiglo" dials with the current FF crowd, but to me it just not as clear or effective as lighted numerals. When I'm driving at night and I glance down I like to see the pointers with respect to the numerals; and not two big full moon circles.

A lot of my NSX buddies swap out the factory dials for white face gauges (often with goofy colors) and I think it looks silly and makes it harder to read. My eyes tend to focus on the lighter color round circles and not the data. My NSX comes to mind since the gauges are nearly perfect from the factory.

The NSX, the C6 Vette, the new Acuras and Lexus are nice examples of excellent gauge lighting, IMHO.

Either way, I'm still getting an Elise and it's not that big of a deal.

:D

Perhaps it's a good opportunity for 3rd party modification!

-Jim

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I'm more concerned with knowing the shade of yellow color produced. I hope we're not going to have another fiasco like the one concerning 'yellow' body color, Randy.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The other thing to add (besides a bit of light) is a white area to reflect it. White pinstripe tape (the kind they sell for model cars) is thin enough to go down the middle of the knob. I don't know if it's sticky enough to survive repeated use. A dot or stripe of white-out, carefully applied, would also work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts