The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I recently purchase a used set of Nitron double adjustable and wanted to document the process of restoring it, hopefully learning something and putting out good information in the process. These were purchased from a member local to me and freshly rebuilt and re-valved by Ralph at V2 for 525/650 spring rates. Additionally they also came with an extra set of 475/600 lbs springs and a pair of helper springs.

Once I had a good chance to check out the suspension, I found it wasn't aesthetically in the best condition and I really wanted to clean them up before installing them. I started to disassemble and here is what I found.

here are photos of them as received:

Not horrible, but I noticed that almost all the original stickers were very worn, peeling or gone completely, there was some rust on the perches from the previous springs, the body was covered in dirt and not greased at all (you can see some corrosion underneath the bumpstop) and the clips holding the bottom perch on was very rusty.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I sat down and started to clean all the components one by one. A very cheap tooth brush was used to get most of the dirt out of the threads on the main body, then wiped all surfaces with a clean damp towel except for the rod (used a dry towel). Ppeeled off most of the old stickers/adhesive residue from the shocks and remote reservoirs since they really made the shocks look old. I cleaned off most of the rust from the perches using some Coca-cola and a toothbrush, also put the clips under a buffing wheel and polished them off for a corrosion free surface.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original black Nitron springs and helper springs that came with the shocks were very rusty but were totally salvageable, I sent these to be sandblasted and powder coated just in case I wanted to swap for softer springs later on down the line. The helper springs will be used on the rears when I reassemble. I don't have a photo of how they were before sandblasting.

Just sent to the powder coater and expecting them back in a week.

In the meantime, I had new decals made for both the logos on the shock bodies and adjustment knobs.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Going on the Nitron website, I really liked the look of the teal springs. Never liked the red that Sector offers, doesn't really look right with the other colors on the shocks, so I decided to paint the red springs in a matching Nitron blue. The color I thought matched best was Maui Blue (made by kylon)

As it stands I need to wait for these springs to properly dry, and helper springs to be returned from the powder coat before I can reassemble. I bought some Moly-grease that I will use to cover the newly polished clips, spherical bearings and O-rings, and rod underneath the bump-stop. I also need to come up with a good ways to mount the remote reservoirs, and places to mount them. I know stainless steel holes clamps are popular but anyone come up with a more refined looking system? where should I mount the front reservoirs?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I heard of people installing the reservoirs underneath the passenger side panels, but no one has ever posted pics or how they did it. Guess I can look and find some places to mount to. I'm just weary of slack on the lines and rubbing.

The rears will definitely go on the rear triangular bars like the stock cup style, always liked that look, but instead of simply using a hose clamp I thought about designing a machined fixed clamp.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of work for a part that will get abused and dirty faster than any exterior panel.

Just to be clear, these were fully functioning freshly rebuilt from V2... you're simply restoring/cleaning the exterior of the parts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looking good. Hope you like them even more when you get them installed! I like the teal, curious how they will hold up as well. These were definetly a great set and need to get more time on the road/track!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's a lot of work for a part that will get abused and dirty faster than any exterior panel.

Just to be clear, these were fully functioning freshly rebuilt from V2... you're simply restoring/cleaning the exterior of the parts?
yup, they were rebuilt few months before I bought them. It is a lot of work, but I love it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of tools does everyone use to adjust the perches?

I have read the Nitron tool doesn't work too good, and haven't heard much about the TASTYtool.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wouldn't say the Nitron tool DOESN'T work. More that it's just not as easy to use as the "TASTYtool". You could easily make your own though. Just need an inch or two of 6 mm steel round bar, a bit off 1/2" or so aluminum round stock and a few drill bits.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks dude, you actually gave me a great idea. I looked through the ole' tool chest and found an 5mm allen that worked beautifully.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Springs just came back from the powder coater!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Completely assembled and ready for installation!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Great job!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did an Autocross on stock suspension over the weekend. This will serve as a comparison from stock feel to Nitrons.

Stock suspension has WAY too much body roll, I did great in the slaloms but I was really having issues in the esses.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I thought that was a Camaro in the picture, not the C7. I sure hate the new Corvette rear.

San

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Yeah. I followed one the other day for a short distance. Didn't get to see any other angle except from directly behind. It has different lines all shoved together and I was waiting for the four tip exhaust to start playing some funky aaaooooga!

Hey, at least it FINALLY has comfortable seats!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts