The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help deciding on which Nitron coilovers I should get.
I did some research on lotustalk and people suggest the 46mm Nitron singles, but sector111 told me the normal Nitron single with softer spring setup will be a better fit for me.
I have a NA 06 Lotus Elise, this is my weekend car. I go to track about 6x per year and autoX 8x per year.

What are the pros and cons? I know the 46mm race pro is $600 more.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The 46mm shocks are sturdier, have less travel, and their spring rate is the same as the hardest option for the singles at S111. If you're not building a dedicated track car, and don't have aero, I'd go with the nitron singles with the soft springs. That's exactly what I have in my car, and it works great with slicks and no aero. It's also comfy on the street. I don't know about auto-X though, as I don't do that. (keep in mind that the Soft springs are much harder than LSS and more than double the stock suspension).

Save yourself $600 :)

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
The 46mm shocks are sturdier, have less travel, and their spring rate is the same as the hardest option for the singles at S111. If you're not building a dedicated track car, and don't have aero, I'd go with the nitron singles with the soft springs. That's exactly what I have in my car, and it works great with slicks and no aero. It's also comfy on the street. I don't know about auto-X though, as I don't do that. (keep in mind that the Soft springs are much harder than LSS and more than double the stock suspension).

Save yourself $600 :)
I totally agree. I have the Nitron singles also.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Get the best -- 46mm singles are superior to the standard Nitron 1-ways.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,594 Posts
I'm thinking about these for my 05 Elise which currently has the non-LSS suspension.

How livable are each of the two options on the street? I drive my car to/from the track and occasionally commute in it.

·
Vendor
3,335 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
So what did you get?

Thanks Marcinr for the info!
Like you I am looking to buy some replacement shocks for my 05 elise that I drive less and less on the road and more and more (up to 10 week ends a year) on the track at DE events.

I am thinking about going the nitron singles way as well. Anything else (although prob better in the lab conditions of racing or just in the factory lab) seems overkill.

For analogy I played ice hockey for 20+ years... at some point I could tell the difference in stiffness between 2 sticks of the same make / model... I stopped playing and a few years later I could not feel a difference between carbon or wood sticks...

I am a baby driver... I have a feeling nitron single are going to bring noticeable difference vs stock and that anything after that I will not be able to feel or even extract any additional benefit for the extra $.

So what did you end up getting? satisfied? :shrug:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up buying a set of 2-11 spec Ohlins, got a really good deal that I cannot say no to.

I think it all depends on your application for the Nitron. If you plan on taking your Elise to the track, I would get the 46mm Nitron. My local shops also recommend the 46mm Nitron.

If you are just doing street driving, I think the normal Nitron will be more than enough for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts