The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched but couldn't find an answer...

On the Nitron Singles, what is the turn to height adjustment for the springs? I understand the preload impacts etc. but before raising and adjusting it would be helpful to know a base / rough adhjustment. For example, one full turn clockwise will increase the ride height by X mm.

The car has been corner balanced, but I need about 5mm extra ground clearance for the driveway now that the suspension has settled.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I think it‘s a bit of a trial and error operation. The thread pitch is a constant, but spring rate and weight ratio can vary a lot from car to car. I would just mark the shock body and the nut, so you know where you started, and then start with one full turn on each side, go for a drive to let things settle, then measure and repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that’s typically how I do it, not looking for perfect so if there’s a chance I can do it in one shot that would be great

·
Registered
534 Posts
The front motion ratio is ~0.68. The rear is ~0.78. For 1” of front damper perch adjustment, you get a ride height change of 1.47”. In the rear, 1” of perch adjustment yields 1.28” of rise height change. If you adjust one corner, this is where it will be difficult to predict resultant ride height. If you adjust an axle (L & R) at a time, the above motion ratios should get you close to your target height change.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wish I'd thought to ask that question last week - glad to see an answer! On the front, we ended up with the collar all the way at the bottom of the shock body (maximum ride height) just to achieve 120mm - makes me wondering if the previous own installed correctly or modified somehow. And the collar was a pain to turn with car on the lift and wheel off. How you guys manage at-home adjustments is beyond me!

Cheers,
B

·
He's on fire!
3,256 Posts
Wish I'd thought to ask that question last week - glad to see an answer! On the front, we ended up with the collar all the way at the bottom of the shock body (maximum ride height) just to achieve 120mm - makes me wondering if the previous own installed correctly or modified somehow. And the collar was a pain to turn with car on the lift and wheel off. How you guys manage at-home adjustments is beyond me!

Cheers,
B
On mine there is a set screw that keeps the collars in place... Hopefully you backed that out before you started turning

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bbursey

·
Registered
48 Posts
On mine there is a set screw that keeps the collars in place... Hopefully you backed that out before you started turning

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Odd - I don’t have any sort of set screw or locking collar. In any case, the job is done and alignment / ride height is where I want it. I just hope I don’t have to touch it again any time soon!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Those look like non Nitron springs. I've only seen blue and black springs sold with Nitron coilovers. Is there any text on the spring?

Is there a set screw in any of the radial holes? Might be hiding from you on the inboard portion of the perch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Those look like non Nitron springs. I've only seen blue and black springs sold with Nitron coilovers. Is there any text on the spring?

Is there a set screw in any of the radial holes? Might be hiding from you on the inboard portion of the perch.
The springs are Eibach - assume they came together as I’ve seen that option from some vendors.

I’ve contorted myself to look at all the holes (as best I can) on all 4 corners. No set screws to be found (and improbable that they’re sitting inbound on every one).

I guess they’re just stiff and will be staying that way!

Where is the set screw on your setup?

Cheers,
B

·
Registered
534 Posts
Where is the set screw on your setup?
You can just make it out in this image. I always try to place them facing outward for easy access. This is an old image from when I was running LSS spring rates in SCCA SS auto-x.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts