The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth it for a 90% street / 10% track driven car?

I currently have the OEM non-sport pack suspension and it just feels very...harsh? Car handles fine, but even over small bumps it feels like someone is smashing the chassis with a big rubber mallet...it gives the impression of a car with no suspension at all.

So, will the Nitron Street Series improve ride comfort and is it worth the price?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts

I currently have the OEM non-sport pack suspension and it just feels very...harsh? Car handles fine, but even over small bumps it feels like someone is smashing the chassis with a big rubber mallet...it gives the impression of a car with no suspension at all.

So, will the Nitron Street Series improve ride comfort and is it worth the price?
I'd ask Fred at BWR, as he sells both the Nitrons and the Penskes. @fzust

San

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
My advice is, spend as much $$$ on suspension as you can, it is one of the best upgrades you can do for the car. I would go for at the least a single adjustable damper.

Reactions: Harix and Verichai

·
Registered
166 Posts

I understand that it's good to get owners feedback, other than shop feedback also...

I installed the street series - for the price from Elise-shop they're a good option. Still feels pretty harsh, but much better than the previous Bilstein / Eibach combo.

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
I installed the street series - for the price from Elise-shop they're a good option. Still feels pretty harsh, but much better than the previous Bilstein / Eibach combo.
Coming from the sport pack, I'd agree with this. The car is by no means plush, nor do I want it to be, but at soft settings, much impact harshness is reduced.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think they're an amazing upgrade. I went with the Nitron Fast Road NTR singles (one step up from the Streets) with the soft spring rates and it's a noticeable decrease in impact harshness...depending on where you set the valving, of course. Compliance/noise over Botts dots is a lot better....it was like a gunshot going off with the Bilsteins! Ride motions are just more civilized.

Mine are seven clicks from full soft, out of 22 clicks of total adjustment. If I had it to do again, I'd probably go with the Streets, as mine have a shorter shock body. Cranked up to max ride height in front, I've got about 133 mm at the front frame rail measuring point, which is OK, but my spoiler scrapes just a bit coming out of my steep driveway. I could easily get, say, 138 mm with the Streets.

·
Registered
158 Posts

On the whole, my car is exactly like yours (touring, non-sport pack.. even the same interior/exterior color, good choice! :cool: ). I upgraded to the Nitron Street Series along with putting on freshly painted LSS wheels - kind of like making my own sport pack, as I've heard the Street Series are a nice upgrade from sport suspension. I kept my ride height stock and installed fresh AO48's.

After much experimentation with driving around LA's mostly awful roads, I adjusted my compression / rebound to -16 F and -18 R for street/canyon driving [always adjust down (-) from full hard (+)] - keep in mind this is not for track. The ride feels excellent, and in my opinion is a great upgrade from the factory standard suspension. Entering/exiting corners feels precise and extremely communicative, while also being (dare I say) comfortable for a car that sits you in an aluminum tub mere inches from the ground. I absolutely love these coilovers, especially for how I use the car. If you track the car frequently, it might be worth exploring more 'hardcore' Penske or Öhlins setups, but for a mostly street-driven car (like mine is), I don't think there is a better coilover suspension setup for the money. (y)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think they're an amazing upgrade. I went with the Nitron Fast Road NTR singles (one step up from the Streets) with the soft spring rates and it's a noticeable decrease in impact harshness...depending on where you set the valving, of course. Compliance/noise over Botts dots is a lot better....it was like a gunshot going off with the Bilsteins! Ride motions are just more civilized.

Mine are seven clicks from full soft, out of 22 clicks of total adjustment. If I had it to do again, I'd probably go with the Streets, as mine have a shorter shock body. Cranked up to max ride height in front, I've got about 133 mm at the front frame rail measuring point, which is OK, but my spoiler scrapes just a bit coming out of my steep driveway. I could easily get, say, 138 mm with the Streets.
Interesting comment on ride height. I must have an older / different model of Nitron Singles as I got 125mm at the front only after really thrashing the spring perch to max height.

Cheers,
B

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
I did the upgrade to Nitron Street Series 1 way adjustable. Non-track, I keep them as soft as they will go. On track, about 15-16 or so. Much more than that, reduced grip comes into play. YMMV

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Tires will also make a big difference in ride quality. If you're in the market for tires as well, try a set of Firestone Indy 500 if you can fit 205/45 in front. I've had many different brands over the past 10 years, and the Firestones make the Exige feel like a BMW. 90% of my rattles disappear, compared to the A048's.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I adjusted my compression / rebound to -16 F and -18 R for street/canyon driving [always adjust down (-) from full hard (+)] - keep in mind this is not for track. The ride feels excellent, and in my opinion is a great upgrade from the factory standard suspension...for a mostly street-driven car I don't think there is a better coilover suspension setup for the money.
Awesome, very helpful info here and from everyone else. Thank you!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're in the market for tires as well, try a set of Firestone Indy 500 if you can fit 205/45 in front.
I actually just got a brand set of four AD07 and as I only have/run one wheel & tire set up, I suspect it will be a while before I'm in the market for tires. But I will definitely make a note about the Firestone Indy 500s. Thanks!

·
7,598 Posts
I personally would look at the Penskes. I had Nitron Singles on my car when I bought it, and even with low spring rates, it was very harsh. I went with the Penske DAs, at nearly twice the spring rate and the ride was actually more comfortable, and firmer at the same time. One of the best mods, if not the best I've made.

I didn't install the Nitrons, so I can't comment on how many miles they had on them when I bought the car, or what they were put through.

San

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
95 Posts
I also got a much better ride with the
Penske coilovers I got from BWR.Check
The bushings in your control arms.Any
Evidence of side to side motions can cause
the pounding your experiencing.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
105 Posts
I wanted to also say to check you suspension bushings. My car was very harsh when I bought it a year ago, and I accepted it would be that way until I bough new coil-overs. However about 4 months ago I noticed that one of my bushings had slipped so I replaced all of them. Turns out that half of them needed replacing or so once I got it all apart. The difference is night and day, and even on the stock bilstines it is a MUCH improved ride. I still plan to get new coil overs soon, but I would bet that your bushings are a contributing factor in your rough ride.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Penske's are also quite a bit more expensive though?

The Penske singles are $3K and the doubles $4K. The Nitrons are $950. Not really a fair comparison...
Thats what I was thinking. I am in market for new ones too, and seems like for $1,000 the Nitrons are the best ones to get on limited budget, especially if car is used mostly as a street car. Unless I've missed better ones for $1,000 I will go with Nitrons myself.

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
I personally would look at the Penskes. I had Nitron Singles on my car when I bought it, and even with low spring rates, it was very harsh. I went with the Penske DAs, at nearly twice the spring rate and the ride was actually more comfortable, and firmer at the same time. One of the best mods, if not the best I've made.

I didn't install the Nitrons, so I can't comment on how many miles they had on them when I bought the car, or what they were put through.

San
Do we know if the singles (I'm assuming this is the NTR) is the same damping rates as the street series? NTRs are quite a bit more expensive.

·
7,598 Posts
Do we know if the singles (I'm assuming this is the NTR) is the same damping rates as the street series? NTRs are quite a bit more expensive.
I don't know, as I got rid of my Nitron Singles as soon as the Penske DAs were available. I want to say my Nitron singles were ~325 front and ~425 (or less) rear. My Penske DAs are 550 front and 800 rear.

San

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know how the damping rates compare. As for springs for my NTR Fast Road singles I went with 425 front, 550 rear, whereas the Streets are 350/450.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts