The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this on an MR2 board but got no answers... maybe some of you know.

I have a manual rack on my MR2 that is painfully slow (I believe the ratio is 22:1). It is the single most annoying thing about the car that otherwise makes a very good daily driver. Is there a way to make the steering faster? Can I swap out the rack from another car? Can I swap out the rack of a power steering MR2 (18:1 ratio) & just connect the power steering feeds from either side to eachother (so there's no power components needed)? Are there companies out there that make "performace" racks or something of the sort?

I don't mind the extra effort required to move the wheel at low speed... I just want to be able to go around a 90 degree turn without taking my hand of the wheel (which I could do with my ancient non-PS MKI MR2).

Thanks

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robert Puertas said:
Googling "quick steering rack" came up with a couple of interesting results...
you'd think I would have done that first, wouldn't you? (I didn't). ;)

Thanks for the idea Robert, I'll start reading up on it. In the mean time, if anyone else has any input, feel free to post.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hey Brian,
I know I've seen a steering ratio "multiplier" advertised in one of the racing catalogs, but couldn't find it when I looked again. So, I did the google search, and came up with the Elise listing, and that company that will modify a factory rack for quicker steering.
I thought both seemed pretty interesting...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts