The Lotus Cars Community banner

No 4000 rpm limit when cold?

529 11
I was at my independent mechanic for a fault code a month or so ago. He has the latest Lotus diagnostic tool and we were driving around with the car plugged in trying to sort out a code.

We found the issue and then I noticed later that my car will now rev above 4000 rpm when cold (the blue coolant telltale is on). Does anyone else not have a cold 4000rpm limit? Did the mechanic toggle a setting?Thanks.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Evora 400
328 Posts
4000 rev is only in limp mode. Mine will fully rev when cold, though I do not recommend it. Sounds like to me you may have a brake pedal switch issue. Order an upgraded one through Greg. As the OEMS fail often.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4000 rev is only in limp mode. Mine will fully rev when cold, though I do not recommend it. Sounds like to me you may have a brake pedal switch issue. Order an upgraded one through Greg. As the OEMS fail often.
Brake pedal switch is good. No TC faults.

Weird. Up until this visit to the shop the car had a fuel cut at 4000 rpm when cold and then went away when warm. Maybe the 4000 rpm limit when cold was only during the break in period and was never turned off by the previous owner?

Before I bought my 400, I test drove another. It acted the same, 4000 rpm limit when cold and went away when the blue light turned off.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I watched this video several weeks ago. Pretty informative. This may help or he may be able to assist with a phantom issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm not sure how this helps me. I don't have a check engine light and Toyotas don't have a warning of going over 4000 rpm when cold.

My Evora 400 and the other one I test drive had a fuel cut at 4000 rpm when the blue coolant light is on. Now, after service, my car revs past 4000 rpm when the blue coolant light is on. It sounds like others can rev over 4000 rpm when cold, so was this limit a feature that was supposed to be turned off after the break in period?

·
Administrator
14,511 Posts
I was at my independent mechanic for a fault code a month or so ago. He has the latest Lotus diagnostic tool and we were driving around with the car plugged in trying to sort out a code.

We found the issue and then I noticed later that my car will now rev above 4000 rpm when cold (the blue coolant telltale is on). Does anyone else not have a cold 4000rpm limit? Did the mechanic toggle a setting?Thanks.
What code was he trying to sort out? Are you getting any OBD codes?

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What code was he trying to sort out? Are you getting any OBD codes?
That problem is fixed.

The car had no codes when I bought it but it had 4000 rpm limit when cold, same with another car I test drove. Now I have no codes and no 4000 rpm limit when cold. I am just trying to figure out if this is normal at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts