The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a little help. I just purchased a used Exige S with the iPod adapter. The stereo works, but there is absolutely NO BASS. Before I go and try and see if a dealer can figure it out, I thought I would post here.

I've messed with all of the head unit settings and they have no effect. Turning up or down the bass does nothing to the sound and the same goes for the subwoofer control (not that there is a subwoofer installed).

Could a cable not be connected? Maybe not enough air space behind the speakers to produce any bass? I'm getting a little tired of pure treble.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm looking for a little help. I just purchased a used Exige S with the iPod adapter. The stereo works, but there is absolutely NO BASS. Before I go and try and see if a dealer can figure it out, I thought I would post here.

I've messed with all of the head unit settings and they have no effect. Turning up or down the bass does nothing to the sound and the same goes for the subwoofer control (not that there is a subwoofer installed).

Could a cable not be connected? Maybe not enough air space behind the speakers to produce any bass? I'm getting a little tired of pure treble.

Thanks in advance for your help.
If you've still got the stock (Alpine) speakers, you'll never get any bass. Even if you replace the stock speakers with decent speakers, the stock head units have very little power (~15W/channel).

The best way to go (IMHO) is a subwoofer and a component amp to power all the speakers. A number of good solutions have been posted here... this one's mine: http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54077

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Here's a lot of bass for ya.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
there's no bass in a Lotus/you need a subwoofer and new speakers

·
Registered
317 Posts
Try searching previous stereo threads. My solution is a slightly shortened 6" Bazooka tube on the shelf behind the seats and a 150 Watt RF amp in the corner of the boot. Cheap, effective, and easy to install. It's also a lot more steathy than the footwell speakers or painted fiberglass box. The PO had already replaced the stock speakers with Infinity.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Try searching previous stereo threads. My solution is a slightly shortened 6" Bazooka tube on the shelf behind the seats and a 150 Watt RF amp in the corner of the boot. Cheap, effective, and easy to install. It's also a lot more steathy than the footwell speakers or painted fiberglass box. The PO had already replaced the stock speakers with Infinity.
How did you shorten it? Pics?

·
Registered
317 Posts
How did you shorten it? Pics?
The stock non-amped tube is about 1/2" too long to fit. Removing the grill and spacer allows it to just barely fit as shown in the pics. To get a little more clearance, you could trim another 1/2" or so from the speaker end and remount the speaker. Rotating the tube as shown allows the drivers seat to go all the way back. From outside the car, you can't really see much of anything. You can remove the tube without taking out the seats. It will slide right out with the seat slid forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The radio is only there because it came with the car. LOL! Engine/Exhaust sounds FTW.

·
Registered
146 Posts
JL audio has a custom 10' sub that fits perfectly in the drivers side. I put one in my Elise and then in my Exige and it is as good as the 12's in my Hummer.

You may want to give it a try.

T

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
JL audio has a custom 10' sub that fits perfectly in the drivers side. I put one in my Elise and then in my Exige and it is as good as the 12's in my Hummer.

You may want to give it a try.

T
You mean a 10" sub that fits perfectly in the passenger's side, don't you?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm running this in mine mounted in the rear pocket centered between the seats... Works great and is plenty loud.

It will also easily fit in the foot well on on the passenger side in front of the foot rest.

Alpine SWE-1000 Amplified Sub-woofer

Definitely change the other stock speakers as well if you want a good range of sound...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
We've got an all-in-one Kenwood sub behind the passenger seat, Polk 651S's in the back and JL 5.25's up front.

Just came back from Manhattan to KC, going 85-105 the whole way, into a headwind. Top was off and windows were down. I heard the music and bass LOUD AND CLEAR!

The keys to getting proper sound in this car are as follows:
1. Upgrade speakers. The JL's required an adapter ring, but they made the biggest improvement by far. Toss in fiberfill behind the speakers to get rid of the plasticky resonance thing that the car naturally emits. This is a critical piece of the puzzle and costs $0 provided you have an old pillow to tear up.
2. Upgrade headunit. Adds power and sound options.
3. Add a sub. A unit like ours will never add thumping bass, but you will get it to fill in the gaps that small speakers surrounded by plastic just don't provide.
4. Once you get the above, The biggest thing you need are top down and top up profiles programmed into your headunit. What sounds great with the top up will sound horrible with it down. You need to fiddle with the settings until you find what works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts