The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new-to-me 2005 Elise. HVAC seemed to be working OK ... until this morning, when I went on a 600-mile drive. Outside temp was around 57F this morning. It was getting warm in the cockpit, so I turned the fan on. The air coming out of the vent was warmer than ambient air. Temperature knob seemed to have no effect. The air seemed to get a little colder when the A/C was turned on, but not much. No big deal, I just lowered a window. This evening, the outside temperature was 45F and I wanted a little warmth in the cockpit. No joy. The air felt like it was in the lower 40s/upper 30s. I have big feet, so I must drive barefoot. The aluminum was quite cold.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the rapid reply!

Well, I turned the car on. The fan seems to be working in all positions. Now what?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Now you search for it on the forum.. probably not the first time this happened to someone.

·
not your dad's puns
1,765 Posts
Gee! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks! Who would've thought?
^ how charming, you really know how to ask for help.

Did you really mean you went for a "600mi morning drive"? Do you know the history of the Elise, i.e. perhaps it's had some of the common HVAC mods already done to it, and this is a related issue. What temps do you see on the dash? Maybe a stuck thermo, never allowing the core to warm up?

Oh and here's a start on the search, since I'm not certain that was sarcasm.

Let me google that for you

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
If the temperature does not change, (no heat, no cold) you have a stuck flap valve. Warmer than ambient could be the result of heat soak from the radiator.
If you remove the main center 4" duct from the climate control box and look down you will see one of the flaps. Try to manually move it.
See here for some tips http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/improved-c-heating-system-71031/
Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts